ADVERTISEMENT

Your speeding hacks

I try to not exceed the speed limit by more than 5 mph. If you do the math, it rarely makes sense to speed. In the city, you are at the mercy of stoplights and traffic anyway, so speeding isn't all that likely to make much of a difference on when you get to your destination. Obviously, if you get stopped by a cop, you will get there later than if you had not sped.

On the highway, you can make up some time on a very long trip, but let's say your destination is about 2 hours away and the speed limit is 65. If you drive 70, you have no significant worries about getting stopped. If you drive 80, how much time do you save? Somewhere around 20 minutes, I think (too lazy to do the math). Once again, if you get stopped, you will lose more than that 20 minutes, plus you will have to pay an expensive speeding ticket.

I agree with your logic. I mostly do 5 over, but on long trips I'll try to get 10, especially if I haven't seen any cops for a while. That being said, I've been pulled over twice this year for being 10-12 over.

My general rule is 5 miles an hour over. Or go the flow of traffic if greater. For example between Houston and Dallas the average speed seems to be around 80 to 85 mph. So then I just get into the groove of the average traffic and go with very little worry.
This is exactly what I do. In college I drove way over the speed limit on the highways because we had the retarded double nickel federal speed limit. Now that the limits are generally what I consider "reasonable" I don't feel compelled to drive 15-25 mph over.

Reactions: CBradSmith
If I'm a cop, unless I think the speed limit is egregiously low, then I take a driver going 10+ over personally. Just disrespectful.

Anyway, on the highway, I'm normally 6 to 8 over. Can't remember the last time I was pulled over.

Reactions: 3Gamma
Radar detector. I stay within 10 over on highways, go with traffic elsewhere. Atleast twice now my detector has gone off, I've slowed down and the car behind me whips around me as the cop appears, and gets pulled over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT