ADVERTISEMENT

Your ideal trigger pull on a double action pistol

TexasCowPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2003
Small ranch North of Denton, TX
I ask this as I'm a real stickler for a fine crisp trigger on a rifle. I know what I like in a single action pistol as well.

I'd like your opinions on triggers on double action (only) pistols, i.e. striker fired pistols specifically.
I'm still thinking of having this as a person defense weapon/possible carry, not a target pistol specifically.
Several I've looked at were reportedly to have nice triggers, but they are still 6.5 lbs, and the least i've seen is 5.5 lbs. I'd have to shoot them a while to decide, but I'm think something around 4 to 4.5 would be more to my taste. What is your experience/preference? Safety is of course a concern.

(Once I got to shoot a 1911 pistol custom that had a trigger pull of my rifle, at less than 3 lbs, and I found it was just too light except for competition target shooting.)

In retrospect, I realize this was one of those threads that doesn't have a great answer (my specialty), as it is so individual. Well, I'm going to SWShooting Supply in Bedford today and they have an amazing assortment of pistols and will try several while there. After messing with them yesterday at a different store, I'm leaning toward a Glock 19, the Shield, S&W M&P M2 (Which I really liked in my hand. Havent' shot it yet). I need to go mess around with the Sig 320C and then I'll make a decision. My local distributor for the Sigs says all currently available to her have been allotted.... I need to find one i a store, hence going to Bedford. Later guys.

What I would say towards all double action pistol triggers is that in general they all suck from the factory. Glock's are popular enough there are some kits and jobs available to improve them but by their very nature, they aren't good.

But you don't need good in a self defense pistol. Most encounters are 10 feet or less and the "best" trigger isn't going to do you much good. It just isn't that important at that range.

Find a weapon you like and do a little research to see if there are trigger alternatives. Buy it and shoot it and change it if you need to.

I agree with panhandle. Most guns from the factory have triggers with safety in mind. So they are either long on the travel or take over 5-6 pounds to pull.

Striker fired guns from the factory I would think (and based on the ones I have handled) have a lot of travel, mainly because there's no visible hammer so they don't want to risk being sued because of an "accidental discharge" that could be blamed on a trigger.

My wife's VP9 has no external safety and is striker fired, the trigger has a ton of travel when you compare it to something like one of my Colt 1911s.

did end up with a M&P Shield but the performance Center version. Nice trigger job, ported barrel and sooooo smooth to shoot. Right now there are some great sales on the shield, and other small S&W pistols (75 off at Cabelas) PLUS a rebate that varies by pistol. $75 rebate back on the Shield. Made for a good deal (-150 off list).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT