ADVERTISEMENT

Yet More Evidence that Government Dietary Guidelines...

Seeing the results people get on the Keto subreddit is shocking. Not just in weight loss, but blood tests all come back much better.

I know I feel way better when I am consistent with it, but it can be tough when you're a fan of wine, beer, and chips and salsa.

Keto = low carb diet?
Low carb may be an understatement.

I'm familiar with this but wanted to make sure this is what you were referring to @Mr. Blonde

I'll have questions galore in an hour or 2.

For starters, is there any scholarly literature thats findings suggest keto is a healthy long-term diet?

I'm currently doing a modified lean gains on a low carb high fat diet, but not Keto. On non-training days the goal is that 10% of my total calories come from carbohydrates (45 carbs). Training days I just bump the carbohydrate to 20% (95 carbs). I don't stress over the fat and protein percentages really but I do watch my overall calorie intake and my carbs.

Who knows, it may fail miserably but it's a lot easier to sustain as a lifestyle. Which is part of the reason I did it. But the results guys get from lean gains is nuts and I knew I would have to modify since I do know that I'm carb sensitive.

I did drop 16 lbs doing LCHF though. I limited myself to 20 carbs a day for like five weeks. It's hard to do if the whole family isn't on the same page but you can drop some serious weight without losing much muscle mass, if any.

My weakness is milk. I drink about 5 gallons a week. I also hate to cook, it annoys me to no end. I don't see any path forward for me to go Keto without significant consternation

Reactions: ThorOdinson13
I don't know how much Keto specifically has been studied with its very low carb restriction, but there is mounting evidence that the amount of sugar and therefore carbs we take in is what is causing a lot of health problems. Interestingly, keto got its start as a treatment for epilepsy.

Here is a rather long article about how we got to here: http://www.theguardian.com/society/...cket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits

I did drop 16 lbs doing LCHF though. I limited myself to 20 (grams of) carbs a day for like five weeks. It's hard to do if the whole family isn't on the same page but you can drop some serious weight without losing much muscle mass, if any.

FIFY.

Dr. Atkins was WAY ahead of his time. Establishment doctors tried to laugh him off the stage in the 70's, but current research proves him to have been correct about many, many things almost weekly, it seems now.

If people would try it (it's not easy, at first) and do exactly as recommended for 15 days, they would be reluctant to ever try any other diet. It works. I started January 19th and had lost 30 pounds by March 31. My doctor was astonished.

I have leveled off at a slower loss-rate (everyone does), but if I can maintain a two to two-and-a-half pound per week loss, I will get where I want to be eventually. Hopefully, the maintenance eating plan will be so ingrained in me by then it won't seem like a diet. It's very easy to follow after your body adjusts back to getting the nutrients it really needs without consuming all the energy you can't possibly burn off.

In a nutshell: Nothing white. No sugar, no potatoes, no rice, no flour. You can eat all the protein you want (pretty much) but you'll soon cut back to reasonable portions because your body just won't be hungry. Keep your carb count low. You'll quickly learn how much is too much -- I've never weighed anything. Atkins lists how many carbs are in this veggie and that nut and you can calculate it all out until it becomes second-nature.

After you've lost the weight you want, you slowly add carbs back into your meals until you find how much you can eat without gaining weight.

Tons of info about Atkins' plan everywhere. He explains in his books why many doctors are wrong when they tell you, "Oh, Atkins is bad for your kidneys and hard on your liver."

The formula is straight forward.

Is this a lifestyle choice, meaning you choose to live this way until....you choose not to way on down the line?

Or is it suggested as temporary?

How well does it mesh with a lifestyle that is probably 93+% on the right tail of human activity level? Includes strength training, cardio, endurance, sport, etc?

The reason I drink so much milk, besides convenience, is the macro makeup. It's inherently somewhat optimal for a low carb diet (not keto).

I'm not sure how people eat 20g of carbs a day. I eat at least 40g just from green vegetables lol

Well, nevermind. Carbs still sorta high. I only ever watch the protein to fat ratio and top line calorie number anyway.

Because with green vegetables you have to take fiber into account. If you have greens and the make up is 13 grams carb with 8 grams fiber you're only really getting 5g carbs because they bond to the fiber.

That said, when a company makes a treat and advertises "only 3 net carbs" they aren't being honest IMO. Just adding fiber to a product does not have the same effect as naturally occurring.

LCHF is great for people with insulin resistance issues. I know people like to claim "It's calorie in, calorie out, bro. Do some exercise. Quit overeating fat ass" But it's not that simple. All calories are not created equal and the insulin response to certain calories are the cause for obesity in many people even though they actually can eat less than someone at a healthy weight. But they really are physically hungrier because their cells are starving because of the insulin resistance.

For those of you that are interested look up Butter Bob Briggs. He's an odd guy but he is well researched and explains it very simply. He's also turned his life around.

Reactions: CBradSmith
It's the most convenient "food" there is. I catch crap for it all the time.

Started a long time ago. Zero digestive issues.

Oh, was lactose intolerant as a baby. Grew out of it within a year.

I've been listening to this podcast about the benefits of Keto today: http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/11/03/dominic-dagostino/

They also talk a lot about intermittent fasting and some regular fasting, I'm not sure I want to jump into that.

As someone with IBS (TMI?) I absolutely love IF. I always shoot for 16 hours but on work out days I usually hit 18-20, sometimes 21-22. I've only hit 24+ once or twice just due to being extremely busy. Since I went to a modified LeanGains my weight loss has slowed but I'm still dropping inches.

IF is pretty much my body's default eating routine. Hard to pack 200g of protein in a 4-6 hour window though.

Leg day is no fun as well. So I've tend to cycle on and off depending on how busy I am

@ThorOdinson13

How does it make you feel during the fast or the day after?

Well, I'll leave out the details regarding the effects on IBS and just say they are positive.

At first I would get mid-morning (ten-ish) hunger pangs instead of the mid-morning "yawns" and I did notice that my energy levels were better. Once I got used to skipping breakfast and just eating lunch and supper (sometimes a small snack around 4-5) it got extremely easy. There are various ways to do IF and the simplest IMO is to do an 16/8 because it just means finishing your supper by 8 and skipping breakfast. I will admit that I do still occasionally get the mid-afternoon sluggishness where I just want to get a nap when I eat lunch......this is usually dependent on the carb load of that particular meal.

That said, the first time I tried to make it 20+ hours was a completely different story. Energy levels, great all day. But around 2:30 in the afternoon I got extremely hungry and with that hunger came a lot of irritability. I still find myself getting really hungry around three (19 hours) but that is my workout time and I know eating is just around the corner.

My schedule is that I'll usually go 20 hours on training day and 16 hours on non-training days. This is because I'm hungrier the day following a training day and on training days I want to workout in a fasted state. When my lift time is 1500 I'm already at 19 hours so......

IF is pretty much my body's default eating routine. Hard to pack 200g of protein in a 4-6 hour window though.

Leg day is no fun as well. So I've tend to cycle on and off depending on how busy I am

I'm not as religious about the protein as I should be. I generally try to get 1 gram per pound of estimated lean body mass. I know body builders and fitness gurus will tell you that is not enough. Guess I'll find out.

Yeah, 30g of whey protein after a workout is all I'm willing to drink. Some of those guys and gals are pounding shakes all day long.

Yeah, 30g of whey protein after a workout is all I'm willing to drink. Some of those guys and gals are pounding shakes all day long.

I have a really hard time with protein shakes because of my stomach issues. So my protein comes almost primarily from food and 155 grams is hard. Honestly, those guys pounding shakes all day; no clue how they do it with a healthy stomach. If I'm extremely hungry on a workout day I'll make some oats with peanut butter, graham cracker protein, and a tbs of honey but I generally pay for it within the evening. It's a favorite meal of mine though.

Sam's used to carry 12 pack cases of myoplex 40 or 42 g protein shakes. No idea if they still do. Very easy to consume...I don't know about with IBS, though. Reasonably priced when purchased in the case, I think 2.50 per.

An option may be 2 of those. Fast and easy. 80 g

Whey protein isolate if you have stomach issues. The concentrate blends are full of ash and other crap.

I don't have any intolerances and even I am worried I'll shart my pants with the protein concentrate.

There is a bit more to it, but you can eat a lot of both and be fine. I had 4 eggs and 4 pieces of bacon for breakfast every day for 3 months and bacon was in at least one other meal most days, and my cholesterol improved during that time in addition to losing weight.

have always been based on BS. This also a cautionary tale about "settled science", especially as regards issues with a lot of government funding of research and in which the body politic has a big vested interest.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...blished/?postshare=9991460508518896&tid=ss_tw

Why do right wingers not scream about the lack of food stamp regulation? I've seen people whip out those cards and buy chips, popsicles, all processed foods vs. nutritional, cheaper, whole foods like beans, veggies, meats, etc. They could provide less money and people get vastly better nutrition if the choices were limited to whole foods instead of Cheetos. I have no proof, but I would wager that Kraft, Nabisco, etc. are responsible...

Why do right wingers not scream about the lack of food stamp regulation? I've seen people whip out those cards and buy chips, popsicles, all processed foods vs. nutritional, cheaper, whole foods like beans, veggies, meats, etc. They could provide less money and people get vastly better nutrition if the choices were limited to whole foods instead of Cheetos. I have no proof, but I would wager that Kraft, Nabisco, etc. are responsible...

Excellent post that deserves a thread of its own.

Abolishing food stamps and supplying unlimited milk beans rice fruits vegetables and center plate proteins would be reasonable and efficient.

Hell abolish food stamps and open kitchens alas lets just give folks black market currency.

Works much better :-/

Reactions: anon_xl72qcu5isp39
I think conservatives have complained plenty about the proliferation and abuse of food stamps, only to get pilloried in the media about hating poor people and minorities.

I like a low carb diet and have tried to eat Paleo but I didn't lose much weight. It may be my pension for bourbon and water in the evenings that was the culprit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT