ADVERTISEMENT

WV/OU

april racer

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2011
OU has added Freddie Rodriguez at 125 who won NJCAAs for Iowa Lakes.

WVU has put together a really nice class plus Dylan Cottrell transferred there from UTC. So far the are bringing in the Moore twins, Conner Flynn ( who beat Manville at Flonats) Austin Myers (who won Flonats), pat Duggan and Devin Brown. That is 6 really good recruits plus a nice transfer, it really looks like Henson is turning that program around. With the addition of the WWC the Big 12 is starting to get back to being an exciting conference.

Originally posted by april racer:
OU has added Freddie Rodriguez at 125 who won NJCAAs for Iowa Lakes.

WVU has put together a really nice class plus Dylan Cottrell transferred there from UTC. So far the are bringing in the Moore twins, Conner Flynn ( who beat Manville at Flonats) Austin Myers (who won Flonats), pat Duggan and Devin Brown. That is 6 really good recruits plus a nice transfer, it really looks like Henson is turning that program around. With the addition of the WWC the Big 12 is starting to get back to being an exciting conference.
I do not like Henson's style both in coaching and demeanor but there is no arguing that he is getting recruits who are buying into the program. Sammy has proven he can bring a dead program to life so I see a strong rise in West Virginia. OU remains a mystery. About everyone agrees that Mark is a great guy and a great upper weight coach and he did create a force at American albeit with a lineup peppered with International wrestlers. It does not appear to be happening at Oklahoma and overall the program has regressed under his leadership. I believe that the few heavy hitter supporters at OU are getting restless and that does not bode well for Mark if immediate improvement is not seen next year.

Cottrelll transferred from app state.. And overall I think they are all moves putting the big 12 in the right direction and giving Okie State great competition/challenges heading into nationals Hensons a proven coach that's been a huge help to every team he's been with in the past and has made tremendous gains at West Virginia in his first season, I think Cody is putting together a strong team that will be successful in the future he had a strong team in 2014 even though they may have underachieved a bit in expectations at nationals but I think he's gotten pieces in these last few recruiting classes that will help get them back there he also has great assistants as well that will help

As bad as it sounds, I think Cody will have a tough time bringing in recruits with his no alcohol rules.

NYwrestler94 you indicated that OU "may have underachieved a bit in expectations at nationals". You should have been the press agent for General Custer at the battle of Little Big Horn. I have always been a Mark Cody fan from the days he coached at OSU to the present but the sooners showing at this year's NCAA's was woeful. They had a shining star in Cody Brewer and that was it. Oklahoma placed 18th with 29.5 points. I did not go back and look up how many points Brewer scored but it was probably around 20. They have picked up a good wrestler here and there but recruiting has not been stellar. 18th place has to be one of the low points in the history of sooner wrestling.
I think you are spot on in your estimation of West Virginia and Henson will and is bringing great excitement and wrestlers to that team.

Oberebo lol I like that analogy I was speaking on the season when he had Patterson, Brewer, Maple, Howe, and Rutt all on the same squad after a season of redshirting in hopes to have a shot at a title I believe they walked away with 3 All Americans that season and no champs which was definitely underachieving when you consider what all those guys were capable of (granted can't be mad when Chris perry finally finds a way to beat Howe and wrestles lights out and I had heard Rutt was dealing with some sort of injuries) I just wouldn't want to bash the guy because he was a proven coach at American and has done a fine job with some of the wrestlers at OU you are definitely correct on recruiting and in a way that's what I meant when I said he had gotten pieces in these last few recruiting classes

This post was edited on 4/19 12:32 PM by NYWRESTLER94

Gotta admire what Henson has done....especially with the 125 and his recruiting class for next year looks strong. Can't speak on the character of Mark Cody cause I don't know him, however, they have been on a steady decline since his arrival. Recruiting seems to be lacking as well. Next year does not look to be any better. My guess is that his days could be numbered. Can't imagine OU supporters putting up with that.

Gotta admire what Henson has done....especially with the 125 and his recruiting class for next year looks strong. Can't speak on the character of Mark Cody cause I don't know him, however, they have been on a steady decline since his arrival. Recruiting seems to be lacking as well. Next year does not look to be any better. My guess is that his days could be numbered. Can't imagine OU supporters putting up with that.
Mark Cody has the highest character in my books and from what I have heard from anybody that I have talked to that knows him. Someone posted he has a no drinking policy that could hurt recruiting. I am not naïve and did go to OSU for four years and I was not and am not a teetotaler but I would think almost every coach has a policy about drinking and drugs. Some strictly enforce it and others take it on a case by case basis. If his policy is one and done on drinking then that would be very strict but I really do not know what is policy is.

My understanding is that they ask the kids to sign some sort of contract stating that they will not drink or use drugs. I heard this from a coach who had two athletes being recruited by OU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT