ADVERTISEMENT

WTT and Daton Fix

Chasingthirty-five

2nd Team
Gold Member
Apr 24, 2023
Just wanted to recap who Fix will be up against at the WTT for a chance to face Vito at Final X.

Seth Gross
Nashon Garrett
Austin DeSanto
Nathan Thomasello
Joe Colon
Aden Valencia
Daniel DeShazer
Pat Glory

I could be wrong but the only person on this list to beat Daton I think is Seth Gross when he did it in match 2 and 3 last year to claim the team spot at Final X (in Stillwater of course).

Bump.

Expecting Fix to get the 3 seed with desanto losing to Vito in open finals and with Seth beating Fix last year. Excited to watch him go for it.

Sunday if anyone didn’t know.

Reactions: osu2082 and JAY45
Will be a tough run to try to earn a spot with Gross and Vito to go through but man I’ll pulling for him.

Reactions: DPJ and JAY45
If he’s anywhere close to 2021 form he wins WTT, but after that I don’t know… Vito is on another level right now. I’m not sure even peak Daton beats what we’ve seen from Vito lately. But then again, who knows how long Vito maintains this level or if Daton has even more to offer.
We’ve started see senior level athletes continue to improve (some significantly) at 25+, which previously was pretty unheard of…

Daton beat Colon 3-0. Stream was choppy could barely watch it, Flo sucks.

Reactions: JAY45
Also an interesting and welcome addition seeing Eric Guerrero in Datons corner with his dad.

Getting him back involved with the Cowboy RTC is a great.

is Guerrero officially back with Oklahoma State and the CRTC? I hated seeing him in Norman

by a guy who literally has zero chance of making the olympic team. It sure looks like Daton has peaked and is on the decline, pretty sad. Hopefully he at least gets 1 NCAA championship on his resume

He needs to get away from his dad and maybe a change of scenery (which sucks to say).

Hope he can win an NCAA title next year.

He needs to get away from his dad and maybe a change of scenery (which sucks to say).

Hope he can win an NCAA title next year.

I agree completely, as much as it pains me to say he needs a change of scenery and a new voice. He is 25 years old, 2024 is realistically his last chance to make an olympic team and it doesn't look promising right now. If he can't do it next year is he really going to do it when he is 30? Highly unlikely, very few guys are like Taylor and Jordan who can compete at that age with all the wear and tear

This has nothing to do with his dad. Although I do think Derek needs to hit the road. Daton didn’t do much in that match. Got hammered by a double which stunned him. He was down 8-1 with 2:30 left and had no sense of urgency.

This has nothing to do with his dad. Although I do think Derek needs to hit the road. Daton didn’t do much in that match. Got hammered by a double which stunned him. He was down 8-1 with 2:30 left and had no sense of urgency.
The first 2 against him was off his shot, both of the pushouts were off his aggression. The last 4 were hail mary points. Score was deceptively not indicative of the closeness of the match imho.

Reactions: okstatefan
Soapbox time.

Y’all are drunk on sour grapes saying this stuff about Daton. “He hasn’t gotten better. He needs to go somewhere else.”
First it’s crazy to advocate as a OSU fan that our number one guy, a real legacy OSU dude with a 99% winning record, LEAVE OUR SCHOOL. Are you kidding me? Don’t you want him here? Do you support OSU? Do you enjoy watching dominant and entertaining wrestlers? I sure do, Daton, please keep your national finalist and world medalist and All American butt kicking ways here. Second, saying he hasn’t improved as a wrestler is also some real bonkers nonsense. I’ve watched dang near all his matches at OSU and this last year he was clearly faster, stronger, and smarter than in previous years. To write off literally four years of the guy’s wrestling is not only rude and dismissive, it also tells me that you can’t get past your own personal disappointment with the fact that he dared to have a handful of matches where he wasn’t 100%. Good lord I mean it’s one thing to speculate “how would Daton do elsewhere” but the answer is he might get worse and I sure don’t want to find out! I want the best guys on our team and he is… the top guy. It’s a no freaking brainer. Do I want him to win a title, absolutely. Will I shrug him off for not winning one, no way! Just bananas and disrespectful IMO.

Now line up to accuse me of being a simp or whatever. I get the complaints, I’m right there with you, but at some point WE ALL GET IT. I too think maybe we should start a thread where people can complaint because it’s honestly a little frustrating to have the gripes take over every discussion we have about OSU wrestling. If you can’t enjoy the sport or support the team through tough times then that’s your choice, but stop continually ruining every thread in our discussion board.

Last edited:
Soapbox time.

Y’all are drunk on sour grapes saying this stuff about Daton. “He hasn’t gotten better. He needs to go somewhere else.”
First it’s crazy to advocate as a OSU fan that our number one guy, a real legacy OSU dude with a 99% winning record, LEAVE OUR SCHOOL. Are you kidding me? Don’t you want him here? Do you support OSU? Do you enjoy watching dominant and entertaining wrestlers? I sure do, Daton, please keep your national finalist and world medalist and All American butt kicking ways here. Second, saying he hasn’t improved as a wrestler is also some real bonkers nonsense. I’ve watched dang near all his matches at OSU and this last year he was clearly faster, stronger, and smarter than in previous years. To write off literally four years of the guy’s wrestling is not only rude and dismissive, it also tells me that you can’t get past your own personal disappointment with the fact that he dared to have a handful of matches where he wasn’t 100%. Good lord I mean it’s one thing to speculate “how would Daton do elsewhere” but the answer is he might get worse and I sure don’t want to find out! I want the best guys on our team and he is… the top guy. It’s a no freaking brainer. Do I want him to win a title, absolutely. Will I shrug him off for not winning one, no way! Just bananas and disrespectful IMO.

Now line up to accuse me of being a simp or whatever. I get the complaints, I’m right there with you, but at some point WE ALL GET IT. I too think maybe we should start a thread where people can complaint because it’s honestly a little frustrating to have the gripes take over every discussion we have about OSU wrestling. If you can’t enjoy the sport or support the team through tough times then that’s your choice, but stop continually ruining every thread in our discussion board.
Slow Clap 👏 👏👏

Like I said before I support all our wrestlers and coaches. Did we improve this season, heck yeah. Tied for regular season championship and runner-up in the tournament. We didn't have a good performance at the NCAA but wrestled very close to our seeds. I know that we will be back in the trophy hunt soon..I'm a former wrestler at. OSU and excited to watch uss next season.

Like I said before I support all our wrestlers and coaches. Did we improve this season, heck yeah. Tied for regular season championship and runner-up in the tournament. We didn't have a good performance at the NCAA but wrestled very close to our seeds. I know that we will be back in the trophy hunt soon..I'm a former wrestler at. OSU and excited to watch uss next season.
Well, as it turns out, your qualified to comment and be a fan.

Congrats on spending time in a D1 room.

Daton beat Desanto 9-0 for true 3rd. Ringer also beat McFadden 2-2 on criteria.
Wish we got to see the all of the first period, but Fix looked really good. Much sharper than he did at any point in the Trails or Open in my opinion. It was already 3-0 when Flo cut in, so I don't know how the scoring went early, but from that point on, he dealt with DeSanto's pressure extremely well, maintained excellent positioning, and countered DeSanto as soon as he tried to get to his offense at all. Love to see it.

Reactions: DPJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT