ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling recruiting

Mr.OSU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jun 18, 2003
The main reason I think Penn St and Ok State are destined to clash for titles in a few years is the structure of wrestling recruiting and timing. For example Penn St has a super stud freshmen heavyweight in place for the next few years. Hence if ok state is considered the other top program we should be able to snag the top heavyweight for the next 2 or 3 years. Same with 197 with Carrol. We won’t be able to recruit a high level kid at that slot for 2 or 3 years. I am sure if Iowa makes some changes they will be in the mix as well. I also think osu will have a great development program going forward. Looking forward to clashes in the future with Penn state for titles. Whether Penn St wants to admit it or not it is much better for wrestling to have 2 or 3 title contending teams instead of 1 soul crushing everyone.

The main reason I think Penn St and Ok State are destined to clash for titles in a few years is the structure of wrestling recruiting and timing. For example Penn St has a super stud freshmen heavyweight in place for the next few years. Hence if ok state is considered the other top program we should be able to snag the top heavyweight for the next 2 or 3 years. Same with 197 with Carrol. We won’t be able to recruit a high level kid at that slot for 2 or 3 years. I am sure if Iowa makes some changes they will be in the mix as well. I also think osu will have a great development program going forward. Looking forward to clashes in the future with Penn state for titles. Whether Penn St wants to admit it or not it is much better for wrestling to have 2 or 3 title contending teams instead of 1 soul crushing everyone.
I have to admit that this past March was good for my soul. You are right though, 100 point victories deflates the enthusiasm in the sport in general. It's been 15 years since the last splashy hire in the sport occurred, and the landscape has gotten stale. In the next 5 years, ISU, IA, and Ohio State will be looking for new coaches, and there will be a lot of great young prospects out there to hire. You are fortunate that you were first in the door and got the pick of the litter. Time will tell but so far so good.

Last edited:
Reactions: tom_v31 and Mr.OSU
I have to admit that this past March was good for my soul. You are right though, 100 point victories deflates the enthusiasm in the sport in general. It's been 15 years since the last splashy hire in the sport occurred, and then landscape has gotten stale. In the next 5 years, ISU, IA, and Ohio State will be looking for new coaches, and there will be a lot of great young prospects out there to hire. You are fortunate that you were first in the door and got the pick of the litter. Time will tell but so far so good.
Heck you guys would get bored with it too eventually lol. Some of your younger Penn staters have tried to kick start the rivalry.(Starochi and Brooks). These programs need to wrestle each other in a dual for the sake of the sport. You would think Taylor would have stroke to make it happen.

Last edited:
I think it would be cool to see a 4 team mini tournament with OSU, PSU, and UI. Who would be the 4th team?

Reactions: AtownPoke
Heck you guys would get bored with it too eventually lol. Some of your younger Penn staters have tried to kick start the rivalry.(Starochi and Brooks). These programs need to wrestle each other in a dual for the sake of the sport. You would think Taylor would have stroke to make it happen.
I can tell you that PSU fans have always been open to a home and away with OSU. Why? For many, it's for selfish reasons. Aren't we all selfish to a degree? To beat OSU and impress the HS recruits. For others, it's to wrestle a meaningful dual. I can't tell you how boring PSU's schedule was last year. Maybe the worst I've ever seen.

I'd love to see the sport grow. I really would. My home town is Lock Haven, PA. Home of the university of the same name. Wrestling is deep there. I remember my high school (while I was in grade school) having matches with then powerhouse of the time, Easton, PA (Willie territory). Those were exhilarating matchups. I'd love for PSU - OSU to get to that level of rivalry where everyone talks about it for a week in advance and a week afterwards. It would be good for the sport.

Last edited:
I can tell you that PSU fans have always been open to a home and away with OSU. Why? For many, it's for selfish reasons. Aren't we all selfish to a degree? To beat OSU and impress the HS recruits. For others, it's to wrestle a meaningful dual. I can't tell you how boring PSU's schedule was last year. Maybe the worst I've ever seen.

I'd love to see the sport grow. I really would. My home town is Lock Haven, PA. Home of the university of the same name. Wrestling is deep there. I remember my high school (while I was in grade school) having matches with then powerhouse of the time, Easton, PA (Willie territory). Those were exhilirating matchups. I'd love for PSU - OSU to get to that level of rivalry where everyone talks about it for a week in advance and a week afterwards.
I would like a home and home also. We would need to cancel iowa and tell them their irrelevant in today's wrestling world!

I would like a home and home also. We would need to cancel iowa and tell them their irrelevant in today's wrestling world!
Not too fast there. If you do that, they will change coaches sooner! I like them exactly where they are.

Have you guys ever heard Gilman speak about his days at Iowa? It was only about winning and losing. At some point, that message is self limiting.

When he went to NLWC, it was about the process. Winning was the end result of the process. it took pressure off him and he became more successful. I guarantee that is the mindset in your room today with the new staff. Gilman has very little good to say about the "Iowa way" these days. Probably is still loyal to a degree but recognizes the antiquated program for what it is. Antiquated.

If you ever get tired of Gilman, let us know. We'd love to have him back. Seriously! Someone said somewhere that Gilman is a younger version of Casey Cunningham. Damn what a compliment. I hold Casey in very high regard, as do most people with an IQ greater than room temperature.

Last edited:
Not too fast there. If you do that, they will change coaches sooner! I like them exactly where they are.

Have you guys ever heard Gilman speak about his days at Iowa? It was only about winning and losing. At some point, that message is self limiting.

When he went to NLWC, it was about the process. Winning was the end result of the process. it took pressure off him and he became more successful. I guarantee that is the mindset in your room today with the new staff. Gilman has very little good to say about the "Iowa way" these days. Probably is still loyal to a degree but recognizes the antiquated program for what it is. Antiquated.

If you ever get tired of Gilman, let us know. We'd love to have him back. Seriously! Someone said somewhere that Gilman is a younger version of Casey Cunningham. Damn what a compliment. I hold Casey in very high regard, as do most people with an IQ greater than room temperature.

Normal room temp or Wresling room temp?

Reactions: colcord and ionel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT