ADVERTISEMENT

Working on my "color fill" technique, customizing my guns

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005

This is before I finished it out, got more of the excess off and whatnot. But the Ruger American pistol above turned out pretty nice. My neighbor had the same gun so I performed the same work on both guns. It's fun, and it gives these all black guns some personality.

Reactions: MegaPoke
How do you like that Ruger? I've got the SR9c, and I really like the trigger and the recoil on that gun.

I dig it really. They are very reasonably priced, I paid $450 for this one. The recoil is sweet on these, Ruger engineered the barrel with a lug on the bottom that is supposed to help with recoil. I have put about 300 rounds through it without even a single hiccup. Ammo used has been Federal, Wolf, Hornady, and Winchester FMJ so far. No hollow points yet.

I use a Maglula loader for loading the mags, much like the VP9, the pointy mags can be hard on thumbs.

I compared this to my HK VP9, it really is less snappy. The grips on this gun, although they are just hard plastic, really fit my hand well with the "large" grip installed. The barrel is nice and thick, the white dot Novak sights are adequate (although, I may upgrade to some tritium sights soon). They are not adjustable, unless you were to use a brass drift for windage.

Slide release and safety are ambidextrous. There is no external safety, only the integred trigger safety.

I'm a 1911 guy (specifically Colt, just like the history and whatnot), and I was thinking about a 9mm with a 1911 frame, but I happened upon this and really like it. It's my everyday carry gun, which for me entails just having a gun in the truck on little trips and such.

My only gripe, and it's a small one, is the safety feature where it won't fire with the mag out. Small thing really, but I don't care for it. Some people gripe about all the warning labels, but that doesn't concern me either.

To add to this little "review", my neighbor has the same gun, and his experience has been the same as mine. About 2-300 rounds without any issues.

Here it is broken down for cleaning:

Very nice Rulz. How long did it take to completely do the pistol? Are there several stages, etc?

On some guns it's quick, on this gun there was a lot of texture in the grip so it collected the paint and took more time removing the excess. Other than that, it's about a 5-10 min deal per side, allowing the paint to dry a bit and then working off the excess with thinner.

It's fun to do really.

Reactions: MegaPoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT