ADVERTISEMENT

Winter is Coming

Hellz YEAH!!

Probably start a binge-watch on season 5 in the next few nights. HBO will start one Saturday, I'm sure.

Did you see the article the other day with the HBO bigwigs saying there might be only seven episodes next year and only six the following season with the conclusion of the series?

Talked like it wasn't a matter of waiting on GRRM, they just feel the characters and their storylines have gone far enough. I said a couple of years ago that this season would be the next to last. I guess I missed by six episodes if they carry through with current plans.

I don't know how seven seasons would compare to the longest-running series since 2000, but I think the producers are probably right: Many, many fans feel very invested in these characters but they are also ready to see some closure and go on to the next big thing. Ten weeks of entertainment and then a 42-week hiatus is a long time to try to hold the attention of fans, especially those who never got into the books either before or after the series started.

Heresy, yes, but I'm ready to see how it ends.

I am kinda happy and sad with that news AggieBoy. I do wish they would at least make the last two season 10 episodes. I am ok with 3 episodes of fluff. lol

Reactions: Orange Jennyslipper
If HBO wants to keep it going it would be interesting to maybe let the producers finish up the regular story and then have someone else come in and do some spinoffs: Dunk & Egg, Aegon's campaign, Robert's Rebellion.

Reactions: Orange Jennyslipper
If HBO wants to keep it going it would be interesting to maybe let the producers finish up the regular story and then have someone else come in and do some spinoffs: Dunk & Egg, Aegon's campaign, Robert's Rebellion.

Yeah, I'm hooked on the genre, now. I had never been into the ancient fantasy idea until this came along, but now my bar is set pretty high. So producers, don't even try if you're thinking of an ABC Family Channel-level spin-off.

Dunk and Egg could be very good, especially if they keep the number of characters below a few hundred. There are whole families in GoT that I don't care about any more and would just as soon see them start dying off. Among those I consider to be the main characters, I am ready to see who lives happily ever after and who gets fed to the bear.

I'm a non-book reader. And I do love the show. I think I "get" most of it.

However, can someone explain to me the Arya Stark thing and that weird place she's staying...House of the Faceless... or whatever? I'm completely lost on this. At this point it's simply become annoying. I love the rest of the story lines...just don't get this one.

It's not that I don't like her character either; I really liked her when she traveling with the hound, seeking revenge.

Last edited:

However, can someone explain to me the Arya Stark thing and that weird place she's staying...House of the Faceless... or whatever? I'm completely lost on this. At this point it's simply become annoying. I love the rest of the story lines...just don't get this one.

It's not that I don't like her character either; I really liked her when she traveling with the hound, seeking revenge.
She is being trained in the highest most bad ass leage of assassins. People come there to die by drinking the water and they must gain their faces that is my guess. They use the faces to carry out assassinations. She will be bad ass very soon. I really like her story line in the books.

The DTV description says "The fate of Jon Snow is revealed."

I do hope it's completely resolved tonight. Dead or alive.

Google Game of Thrones. Says spoilers leaked on reddit and a few other places.

What time is the broadcast tonight, central time?

Remember When Arya was captured and met this guy (jaqen h'ghar) ? He was an assassin that could change his face (pretending to be a Lanister soldier for some reason).

After he helps her escape he gives her a coin and tells her if she needs to find him give it to anyone from bravos and say Valar Morgulas

Later, she sails to Bravos, finds the place where he's from, this is a league of assasins who worship death. To become the assasins they drop all identity of themselves. They are "no one" and use the faces of those who come there to die to serve death (all of those faces in the large room of pillars). Arya has a hard time dropping her self identity because of her hate for those she wants to kills. For her to be no one she must drop all of the love and hates that made her Arya. She takes a life that wasn't hers to take, and proves she isn't ready to be nobody.
(all season 5 Arya clips)

Quite different and much deeper in the books, but its headed the same direction.

Apparently the whole episode was put up on a Canadian streaming service for a couple hours this afternoon. Avoiding all related websites to avoid spoilers.

BTW I don't think her story ends up good. I think she ends up either escaping the house of black and white and takes her teachings to exact her revenge....which causes the faceless men to come kill her. Or.. She sticks with it and truely becomes noone (dropping all loves and allegiances), and will end up having to kill someone from her family.

Well. Some satisfactions and some disappointments.

We can give everyone a chance to see it before we get too graphic.

I had forgotten how many cliff-hangers were pending.

Reactions: CBradSmith
Well I liked it. I'm guessing what we saw is true for all the red priest and priestess?

It was still good to see old faces again, though.

And old boobs. Seems like this is consistent with prior years in that they use the first episode to touch on all the stories and set up the season which gives everyone about five minutes of screen time. After that historically future episodes are more story driven and only touch on a couple of plot lines. Biggest take away is that Kit Harrington is still in the credits. The red priestess will either bring him back from the dead or he will inhibit the wolf or some combo of both.

I wouldn't say nothing happened.

We learned who Davos expects to aid the Snow loyalists against the Night Watch. Surely Jon has a date with Melisandre in the (hopefully) very near future, but if his future is to become an old, saggy woman with thin hair, he might want to stay right where he is. TIC.

Brienne finally finds Sansa and Theon did a pretty decent imitation of a man with balls. Sansa is going to enjoy being the queen of something. Anything. My wife's question, where did the blood hounds go when the fight started? (She's always worried about the damn animals.)

Dorne may become a port-of-call for lesbian cruise ships.

Ahh, Ramsey. Such a good boy. Waste not, want not. Plus, daddy Roose has really doubled down on why Ramsey must locate Sansa, asap. Nothing like the friendly competition of a father/son race to the birthing bed.

Dani's situation is not nearly as dire as it could be but the mob Tyrion was left to "administer" is going get ugly. Duh. Still not sure how he's supposed to deal with it. Dani will have the Dothrakis kissing her behind as soon as she earns her way out of the old folks home for Khal widows. The new strongman will recognize her leadership skills.

Arya has her work cut out for her. Her storyline is really becoming tedious, imo. I hope her character will have a pivotal role in the final outcome of the story and doesn't turn into some time-wasting red herring.

The Mountain has been raised from the at least near-dead and will become Cersei's personal attack dog.

I thought ep1 set up most characters and gave us an idea of the direction of each except for Bran.

Reactions: CBradSmith
There's times when I feel like I haven't even read the books. What, who, what?

Reading that link really made me appreciate how much GRRM puts into his writing. No wonder it takes him so long to get his next book out. (alternatively, all of the info in that link is fanboy speculation and GRRM isn't as meticulous and clever as I think he is).

I wouldn't say nothing happened.

We learned who Davos expects to aid the Snow loyalists against the Night Watch. Surely Jon has a date with Melisandre in the (hopefully) very near future, but if his future is to become an old, saggy woman with thin hair, he might want to stay right where he is. TIC.

Brienne finally finds Sansa and Theon did a pretty decent imitation of a man with balls. Sansa is going to enjoy being the queen of something. Anything. My wife's question, where did the blood hounds go when the fight started? (She's always worried about the damn animals.)

Dorne may become a port-of-call for lesbian cruise ships.

Ahh, Ramsey. Such a good boy. Waste not, want not. Plus, daddy Roose has really doubled down on why Ramsey must locate Sansa, asap. Nothing like the friendly competition of a father/son race to the birthing bed.

Dani's situation is not nearly as dire as it could be but the mob Tyrion was left to "administer" is going get ugly. Duh. Still not sure how he's supposed to deal with it. Dani will have the Dothrakis kissing her behind as soon as she earns her way out of the old folks home for Khal widows. The new strongman will recognize her leadership skills.

Arya has her work cut out for her. Her storyline is really becoming tedious, imo. I hope her character will have a pivotal role in the final outcome of the story and doesn't turn into some time-wasting red herring.

The Mountain has been raised from the at least near-dead and will become Cersei's personal attack dog.

I thought ep1 set up most characters and gave us an idea of the direction of each except for Bran.

Nice recap

I guess I need to read the Dunk and Egg books.

There is now so much information, outside of ASOIAF, that pertains to the story. On top of 3 Dunk and Egg tales, there are at least 3 more short stories that provide some key information (I think they are called "The Rogue Prince", A Dance with Dragons" and "The Princess and the Queen". In addition, there is "The World of Ice and Fire" which gives a lot of history of Westeros and each of its regions and major houses.

If GRRM ever finishes ASOIAF (even if he continues writing some of these prequel stories), the amount of information, and how meticulously it all ties together, is going to be ridiculously impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT