ADVERTISEMENT

Why isn't Black Sails a bigger deal?

MegaPoke

May 29, 2001
Tulsa
www.shipmanphotos.com
Picked up the first season for Christmas and just finished watching it. Being a bit of a pirate nerd and loving historical fiction - I was fully prepared to be disappointed in this show not living up to my expectations, but it did not disappoint. It was actually very watchable.

It's really dang good TV with great characters and exactly the right amount of effects. Beautiful cinematography, cool story line, believable action and some seriously sexy pirate chicks.

How is this not a bigger deal - just because it's on Starz I guess? If this was on HBO or even AMC I can't believe it wouldn't be pretty popular.

Of course if it was on AMC, they would have to do without some awesome lesbo pirate wench scenes, which would definitely be a high seas crime against civilization.

Say-hello-to-Jessica-Parker-Kennedy.jpg

This is the 2nd strong recommendation I have heard for this show over the last couple of weeks. I am going to have to move it up on my binge watch list.

Originally posted by Been Jammin:
This is the 2nd strong recommendation I have heard for this show over the last couple of weeks. I am going to have to move it up on my binge watch list.
First season is only 8 episodes so you can knock it out in a slow weekend if you get one. Second season starts this month - I think the 23rd. And they have been picked up for a third season already - which is sort of the litmus test usually. I would be shocked if it doesn't last 4-5 seasons and pick up some more interest. It generally has been getting 7.9 out of 10 type of average reviews - but the negative reviews seem to be written by people who watched one episode and didn't have the patience to get into the bigger story.

It's supposed to be a rough prequel to Treasure Island.

I watched it when it came out last year and loved it. My wife said it had to many characters in it so maybe that puts people off. I have been waiting for this to come back on for season 2. Glad to hear it has been renewed through at least season 3. Oh and the naked chicks are a great extra bonus.

Mega I thought it was fantastic as well. It didn't have the marketing that an HBO show did leading up to its release and it only being an 8 episode season likely tempered some of the talk. I'm looking forward to season 2 and I think we will see the show pick up steam and popularity.

I liked it but has Starz working against it. Also, it opened with an awesome sea battle then spent a ton of the season on land setting up the finale and season 2. Huge payoff though and really looking forward to where the show is going.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by MegaPoke:
All the reviews I've seen have been mostly good. 7.8 out of 10 kind of stuff. Certainly nothing that would scare you off if you like the genre. Starz is the biggest issue I guess.
Grantland, Hitfix, Variety, TV Guide, the Washington Post, the NY Times, and the LA Times all gave it middling-to-bad reviews. Honestly, I was looking forward to it but didn't even seek out due primarily to the Grantland and Hitfix reviews and the blurbs I read from those other ones.

Originally posted by cornichon:

Originally posted by MegaPoke:
All the reviews I've seen have been mostly good. 7.8 out of 10 kind of stuff. Certainly nothing that would scare you off if you like the genre. Starz is the biggest issue I guess.
Grantland, Hitfix, Variety, TV Guide, the Washington Post, the NY Times, and the LA Times all gave it middling-to-bad reviews. Honestly, I was looking forward to it but didn't even seek out due primarily to the Grantland and Hitfix reviews and the blurbs I read from those other ones.
Well a google of Black Sails Reviews turns up none of that shit, and most of it is positive. I say give it a spin - we enjoyed it.

I watched it and thought it was hit and miss. Great action, effects, and sets. Some of the story line is pretty weak in my opinion.

I will be the first to admit, I watched the first 3 - 4 episodes and got so overwhelmed by the number of characters I had a hard time keeping up with who was who. It doesn't help of course when you have to wait a week to see a new episode.

Now that I can catch it on Netflix and perhaps keep my memory much fresher as to who the characters are and what role in the storyline they are playing, I have the intent of going back and watching it.

Originally posted by JonnyVito:

I watched it when it came out last year and loved it. My wife said it had to many characters in it so maybe that puts people off. I have been waiting for this to come back on for season 2. Glad to hear it has been renewed through at least season 3. Oh and the naked chicks are a great extra bonus.
She must hate Game of Thrones then.

Originally posted by OSUIvan:

Originally posted by JonnyVito:

She must hate Game of Thrones then.
She knows better then to talk bad about GOT in the Vito household.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
I was thinking my love for GOT must be why I was able to follow Black Sails. What I hate the most about GOT is at any point a minor character can become a big player so you almost have to remember everyone.

Mega...

Thanks for the tip. I have now watched the 1st 6 episodes and really like the show. Was planning to only watch one episode last night, but had a hard time turning it off and ended up watching 3 and staying up much later than planned.

The high number of characters doesn't bother me, as I am a big fan of GOT and am used to it. I also think they do a good job of not using actors/costumes that make key characters look similar to each other, which helps.

My only complaint is that I think some of the political story-lines are not super clear. (i.e. why the blonde girl's father was supposed to be arrested and what, exactly, was his position in Nassau before his attempted arrest).

I'm a sicker for history and shows set in the far past but I caved. Got through 7 episodes and couldn't do it anymore. Not a horrible show just too much good stuff out there these ddays so it got cut.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT