ADVERTISEMENT

Why aren't there celebrations around the world?

This can't be good for the FDA, big Pharma, and our elected officials (whores).

I saw that Vice episode. Having lost my dad to colon cancer and my 25 year old nephew to bone cancer, I sincerely hope this is a first step in treating all cancers.

I caught that VICE, as well. "Reprogramming" otherwise deadly viruses to seek and destroy cancer cells. Remarkable. Cancer research hopefully has reached the tipping point. There seems to be amazing news about treatments for different kinds of cancers every couple of weeks.

We almost lost our youngest to cancer and now he's a 15-year survivor. I thought I had a pretty good idea how cancer treatment worked when he went in, but was floored by the mind-blowing things they did throughout the process. I ran into his primary doctor a couple of years ago and she said the treatment they used on him is dust in the rear-view mirror nowadays.

Treatments are progressing faster than ever before and one of the good things about the latest generation of treatments is that side-effects have fallen way off. Used to be if the cancer didn't kill you, the side-effects might. His doctor called our son "my poster child for side effects." He got hit with everything. They'd want permission to try something and they'd say there was a one-in-a-thousand chance that such-and-such side effect would happen, and BAM, he was the one.

I'm also encouraged by the fact that the newest and most successful treatments seem to be harnessing and enhancing the body's own defense systems to fight the cancer instead of poisoning the body to kill some cancer cells and then "rescuing" the patient from the poisoning and then starting over and over and over. When our son was sick, they said they were poisoning him for 24 hours and then rescuing him from the poison for 72 hours. They did that solid for 6 months and then on various schedules for two and half years. Seems more of a nightmare now, looking back on it than it actually did at the time. Damn.

A big step to curing cancer -- namely ALL of the "liquid" cancers?

https://www.theguardian.com/science...s-t-cell-therapy-research-clinical-trials#_=_

I'll never understand the media or mass opinion. This was a pipe dream for all of mankind.

Sorry, to answer your question, there will be no "cure for cancer." No one silver bullet is going to cure every type. It's going to be an incremental thing, with one type of cancer after another deemed to be "90% treatable." My son had T-cell Lymphoblastic Lymphoma and his organs had begun to shut down. They said he would not have lasted another 48 hours, but even at that, they told us that night that they thought they had an 85% chance of saving him, and they did.

Point being that some cancers have been successfully treated for some time now. We were in Argentina and were advised by a doctor in Buenos Aires to get him back to the States ASAP, if you're wondering why he was in such bad shape when we got him to the ER.

Treated/cured/solved/managed -- whatever you call it, any potential solution to any one or all of these cancers is a huge cause for celebration. The momentum that is developing is just amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT