ADVERTISEMENT

Whiskey & Bourbon Collectors/Aficionados....

Picked up a Redbreast 12 Cask Strength. Haven’t tried it yet. Will report back.

They are really trying a lot of different things lately. They also have an American Oak Series. The store had the first iteration of that, Kentucky White Oak, but I opted for the Cask Strength.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ostatedchi
Okay I just went a bit crazy.
Just bought...
coShBIv.jpg

Also tacked on a Smoke Wagon Uncut Unfiltered, New Riff private barrel, and a Blue Run out of the below selection.

AL9nZEUQc9blNjWHW6oEBh31PemF_APcbgQUOC9yK8YbIVp4L0kb27R2ou2o1NZFHrFgQNhE0Z9zFi6QeHK6HshwGBg0XK2ADaA9U31ZsegYxf3RGOJ8RJePvamXy9RflpoYrvDtTwJo_xq8tEeE_F5RNwM5=w1024-h768-no

AL9nZEWxHMk0tb1eW2njGrAn6BCWEkoRa7UPbtJFu2g1pyWax0Nv6ESkteVP0rtd0VFWfUs9f6XsJY_rkNj0AR0UggpfkXq-O8VZbg2J6lGZ3rTIDDPPqsgTJ3gDcCakjF_ar8531fc-Qlx5iwEdfHYuyBJS=w1024-h768-no

Just bought...
coShBIv.jpg

Also tacked on a Smoke Wagon Uncut Unfiltered, New Riff private barrel, and a Blue Run out of the below selection.

AL9nZEUQc9blNjWHW6oEBh31PemF_APcbgQUOC9yK8YbIVp4L0kb27R2ou2o1NZFHrFgQNhE0Z9zFi6QeHK6HshwGBg0XK2ADaA9U31ZsegYxf3RGOJ8RJePvamXy9RflpoYrvDtTwJo_xq8tEeE_F5RNwM5=w1024-h768-no

AL9nZEWxHMk0tb1eW2njGrAn6BCWEkoRa7UPbtJFu2g1pyWax0Nv6ESkteVP0rtd0VFWfUs9f6XsJY_rkNj0AR0UggpfkXq-O8VZbg2J6lGZ3rTIDDPPqsgTJ3gDcCakjF_ar8531fc-Qlx5iwEdfHYuyBJS=w1024-h768-no
Spec's down here in DFW had a crazy dump of everything from RR 13 to Weller 12. In some stores, three or four cases of multiple pseudo-unicorns. I had to pass since I just retired and already have about 30 bottles in the library.

However, I notice you picked up some of that Fiddler finished with the French Oak staves. That one is looking to be a huge sleeper once word really gets out about it, and I don't think there is much of it out there relatively speaking. I broke my retirement embargo of new bottles and ordered on for pickup at Total Wine. Super excited to see what the fuss is about.

Just bought...
coShBIv.jpg

A friend I trust told me the Blue Run is really good. Where are all these purchased?

A friend I trust told me the Blue Run is really good. Where are all these purchased?
From the main board.

Also... I just scooped a 3 ball lottery and got a EH Taylor Single Barrel, Old Forrester Single barrel, and a John J Bowman single barrel.
I bought the 0 and 8 and the first 3 numbers went 088. Boom, scooped them all.

361-C2-B48-2-B30-4-A7-C-8-AA0-DF4-A3-E2142-FA.jpg

Nice haul!

What did you pay for the W12 and ETL?

Haven't cracked my JJB yet, but have heard it's Blantonesque
The Blanton’s, ETL, EHT, and Stagg Jr; along with the 3 others (and a bonus mystery bottle he’s including) cost $1500. Then I bought the 2 spots in the other raffle for $240.

So 11 pretty premium bottles for $1740.

• Wow
Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
The Blanton’s, ETL, EHT, and Stagg Jr; along with the 3 others (and a bonus mystery bottle he’s including) cost $1500. Then I bought the 2 spots in the other raffle for $240.

Sadly too rich for my blood. I get grumpy anytime I’m faced with spending more than $100 on any bottle I enjoy.

Yeah I get that. I'd just made a pretty deep run in the WSOP main event and had a nice pay out.
Make it rain player. Also you have to be the luckiest SOB I have ever meet and if you want to throw some of that luck this way I will take all you can give.

Looking at what was included, that "lot price" of 1740 appears to be based on pretty regular secondary prices.

Happy you were able snag them, but I can't bring myself to pay that far above MSRP.

It's not a money issue, it's a principle issue.

Luckily, I've found a few bottles in the wild over the last few years, but you gotta be pretty lucky to find ETL, W12, or WFP sitting on the shelf in the Tulsa area.

As an "experiment," I stopped by PHW at least every other morning for a few months. Typically, some of the same yahoos were waiting outside the store before opening. I guess they're the ones snagging the limited drops that do happen and then head straight to private FB groups to flip 'em.

Looking at what was included, that "lot price" of 1740 appears to be based on pretty regular secondary prices.

Happy you were able snag them, but I can't bring myself to pay that far above MSRP.

It's not a money issue, it's a principle issue.

Luckily, I've found a few bottles in the wild over the last few years, but you gotta be pretty lucky to find ETL, W12, or WFP sitting on the shelf in the Tulsa area.

As an "experiment," I stopped by PHW at least every other morning for a few months. Typically, some of the same yahoos were waiting outside the store before opening. I guess they're the ones snagging the limited drops that do happen and then head straight to private FB groups to flip 'em.
I figured it was somewhere half way between MSRP and Secondary. But I understand your point.

Here are the numbers I used:

If you have access to secondary prices below these, please direct me to your secondary market :)

W12
250​
Blanton's SiB
220​
Stagg jr SP
340​
ETL
250​
New Riff Rye
75​
SW UCUF
90​
Fiddler
85​
Larceny A522
85​
MM PS
90​
EC BP
80​
Blue Run
120​

Picked up a bottle of Larceny BP A122 last weekend. Looking forward to trying it this weekend.

Finally got around to opening a bottle of Dickel SB 15 Year that I had sitting around last Friday. I had seen mixed reviews on it. Which is kind of where I fall. Not bad, but still very “Dickelish”. Lot of other things in that price range I would prefer to drink.

Last month's haul
AL9nZEU7Rsg5b7CvUmKnitQbR8CvszXfpJtOIvMNHfU-rCb5yEDmITmA3-rGez7JFPpxr0E85nJb7Df0AauvJSzyKNa5rwQS-rgVIsBFdWXjalKWowcte4xnttULZbjhV5zV-WQHDorFcGIa6t7qvO8kg74C=w2643-h1982-no

I also just won a couple of razzes on tMB.
Have 2 Weller Antique 107's coming as well as a MWND. Should have them in the next few days.

I'm just not a bourbon guy. I mean I love Blanton's, but that is about the only bourbon that I genuinely like. I'm more of a Scotch and Irish guy.

I'm just not a bourbon guy. I mean I love Blanton's, but that is about the only bourbon that I genuinely like. I'm more of a Scotch and Irish guy.
if you like blantons you should try...
  • Ezra Brooks Distillers Collection.
  • Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve.
  • Jim Beam Single Barrel Bourbon.
  • Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Bourbon.
  • Four Roses Small Batch Select.
  • Elijah Craig Single Barrel.
  • John Bowman Single Barrel.

if you like blantons you should try...
  • Ezra Brooks Distillers Collection.
  • Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve.
  • Jim Beam Single Barrel Bourbon.
  • Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Bourbon.
  • Four Roses Small Batch Select.
  • Elijah Craig Single Barrel.
  • John Bowman Single Barrel.
Tried

Knob Creek SBR
Jim Beam SBB
Four Roses Small Batch Select

I may have tried the Elijah Craig, but not 100% sure it was that one.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good old fashioned, so it isn't as if I don't like bourbon at all, I just don't enjoy sitting back with a Glencairn glass of Buffalo Trace and drinking it. Whereas I do enjoy almost every Scotch and about 85% of all Irish. My favorites right now (have in my booze locker at my local club) Bushmills 16 Year Old Single Malt Irish Whiskey and Glenmorangie 18 year. I still have some others that I'm waiting to open, so my opinion can change.

Tried

Knob Creek SBR
Jim Beam SBB
Four Roses Small Batch Select

I may have tried the Elijah Craig, but not 100% sure it was that one.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good old fashioned, so it isn't as if I don't like bourbon at all, I just don't enjoy sitting back with a Glencairn glass of Buffalo Trace and drinking it. Whereas I do enjoy almost every Scotch and about 85% of all Irish. My favorites right now (have in my booze locker at my local club) Bushmills 16 Year Old Single Malt Irish Whiskey and Glenmorangie 18 year. I still have some others that I'm waiting to open, so my opinion can change.

I prefer scotch if I’m getting my hands on 18y type options, but I’m also paying a lot at that point.

I like the oak and sweet flavors in bourbon and for the most part, you can get solid options for much less money than scotch.

I prefer scotch if I’m getting my hands on 18y type options, but I’m also paying a lot at that point.

I like the oak and sweet flavors in bourbon and for the most part, you can get solid options for much less money than scotch.
I’ll be honest, I’ve rarely had any scotch or bourbon 18 years or older that I thought was demonstrably better than say 12 year. There’s only so much character a liquid can take from wood before it starts to get “woody”. It’s absolutely not worth the money to me buy age. Rare doesn’t always mean better.

I’ll be honest, I’ve rarely had any scotch or bourbon 18 years or older that I thought was demonstrably better than say 12 year. There’s only so much character a liquid can take from wood before it starts to get “woody”. It’s absolutely not worth the money to me buy age. Rare doesn’t always mean better.

I agree when we’re talking bourbon. I don’t get too excited about anything older than 10y and I’m not putting down big money for age.

With scotch though, there are some 18y I’ve had which are much better than most 12y. The good news is that I have found some nice 12y options at a reasonable price. The disclaimer here is that I’m less knowledgeable with scotch because most of what I find is pricey enough that I don’t sample and experiment a lot.

In the end, my goal is to find enjoyable bottles for $50 or less and that’s pretty unlikely with scotch, but I’ll grant it’s still hit and miss with bourbon.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
I agree when we’re talking bourbon. I don’t get too excited about anything older than 10y and I’m not putting down big money for age.

With scotch though, there are some 18y I’ve had which are much better than most 12y. The good news is that I have found some nice 12y options at a reasonable price. The disclaimer here is that I’m less knowledgeable with scotch because most of what I find is pricey enough that I don’t sample and experiment a lot.

In the end, my goal is to find enjoyable bottles for $50 or less and that’s pretty unlikely with scotch, but I’ll grant it’s still hit and miss with bourbon.
Agree. Bourbon is much trickier as it ages beyond 9/10 years.
Scotch is different. Longer aged scotches aren’t necessarily better, but almost without fail, become more layered and richer.

Reactions: pokeDDS

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is a good moderately priced scotch.

Reactions: trapped_in_tx
I have good juice from 4 to 21 years in the barrel. I love the variety and finding the differences in them.
I like very woody whisky. So 16 years is about perfect for me. Heaven Hill 16 year, full proof and unfiltered is the best I've ever had. Better than any Pappy I've ever drank. I paid 250 for the bottle and wish I'd bought 10 of them.

I have good juice from 4 to 21 years in the barrel. I love the variety and finding the differences in them.
I like very woody whisky. So 16 years is about perfect for me. Heaven Hill 16 year, full proof and unfiltered is the best I've ever had. Better than any Pappy I've ever drank. I paid 250 for the bottle and wish I'd bought 10 of them.

I need to find a whisky bar here in CO that has some of that HH16. I hate the idea of buying an expensive bottle without trying it first.

Edit to add: @Ostatedchi - is it actually 17y, the new heritage collection? I’m not sure which one you are referring to…

Last edited:
Reactions: Marocain Poke
I need to find a whisky bar here in CO that has some of that HH16. I hate the idea of buying an expensive bottle without trying it first.

Edit to add: @Ostatedchi - is it actually 17y, the new heritage collection? I’m not sure which one you are referring to…
I have both a 16 year bottle and the new HH17. I've not opened the 17 year yet and only have a little of the 16 left.

Good place here in Durango that gets pretty nice bottles from time to time but in general whiskey is just harder to get in CO.

Reactions: trapped_in_tx
With the recent demise of the football and basketball teams it felt like a good night for a great bourbon. Got me thinking about this thread as it’s where I read about Redbreast 12 and it’s become my all time favorite. But tonight I decided to try Rabbit Hole Heigold. So far very impressed. Anyone tried it?

Good question. Maybe $25k+ I might catalog my inventory over the Christmas holiday and see if I can put a price on it.
I’d bet it’s more than that unless you’ve drank a goodly portion of what you’ve shared here over the last couple of years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT