ADVERTISEMENT

"We are all Immigrants"

TPOKE

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 14, 2001
Hogwash. From my Great Great Grandparents down to my own kids, there were no immigrants to this country, and maybe a generation before. Maybe I'm a slave owner, too, if by chance an ancestor was one. What a phony cliche.

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
Which kind of confirms what I've said for a while now. Very few white and black Americans have any understanding at all of the immigrant experience. How can they? Which makes their assumptions and opinions about immigrants even more fascinating.

Which kind of confirms what I've said for a while now. Very few white and black Americans have any understanding at all of the immigrant experience. How can they? Which makes their assumptions and opinions about immigrants even more fascinating.
I don't make assumptions about the immigrants other than extrapolating that they are more accustomed to a lower standard of living than most Americans are. I have enough exposure to immigrants to know this is a fact.

BBCEA9_BB_26_B2_45_C6_BD1_A_92_B2132_C2590.jpg

I don't make assumptions about the immigrants other than extrapolating that they are more accustomed to a lower standard of living than most Americans are. I have enough exposure to immigrants to know this is a fact.

You bring up a good point. They are truly used to a lower standard of living......which makes them ideal for settling in areas like rural Oklahoma.

I’m in Australia right now,on business, and read an article today in one of there papers about the lack of assimilation by minority groups coming to Australia which one of the ministers wants changed. He said “why would Arab or Chinese Nationals learn English and adopt Australia traditions, when then can move into an enclave of people who speak their native tongue and rely on that enclave for communal support.” I’ll try to find the article and post the link...had some other points as well.

Most previous immigrants came to America as an opportunity to better their life’s, not live off the radar and take advantage of this countries generosity. While many continued to speak their native tongue within their communities they strove to learn English and adopt American customs and beliefs. Have heard way to many stories of people from my dads and grandparents era that did just that. You can also bet they wouldn’t have stood around protesting while waving their birth countries flag.

Here is the article....

A shared language is key to common culture

• The Daily Telegraph (Sydney)
  • 8 Mar 2018

I’m glad Citizenship Minister Alan Tudge now admits we’re dividing into tribes, with too many immigrants not integrating. But the Turnbull government still hasn’t got the guts to fix what it’s helping to break.

It still won’t admit our immigration intake — now double what it was at the start of the century — must be cut.

True, Tudge is at least diagnosing the symptoms.

“There is emerging evidence that we are not integrating as well as what we have done in the past,” he said yesterday.

This isn’t just because 25 per cent of migrants we brought in last year did not speak English, or barely.

“The challenge (of integrating them) is greater today because some diasporas are larger, the migrant intake more diverse, and because technology can foster insularity,” Tudge said. Let me translate. New migrants from some cultures now join huge new ethnic enclaves, where they need never speak English or assimilate.

Arabic speakers, for instance, can settle in suburbs such as Lakemba in Sydney. Chinese immigrants can live among their own in Melbourne’s Box Hill.

And there many can live tethered to their home culture, thanks to the internet, cheap air travel and satellite TV broadcast from overseas.

In fact, migrants make up more than half the residents in 67 per cent of Melbourne and Sydney suburbs.

So where are the Australians the newcomers are meant to assimilate with? And why assimilate, when their children are (falsely) taught in schools that Australia is so racist that it stole tens of thousands of children just because they were Aboriginal?

“We need to stop talking our country down, be it on Australia Day, in schools, or in our public discourse,” Tudge rightly says.

“Rather, we need to talk about and think about our nation and community as a place that people will want to integrate into.”

Good, but where are Tudge’s solutions?

Well, the government will try again to get tougher Englishlanguage tests for immigrants, and demand a “demonstrated commitment” to Australian values.

But why won’t the government slash immigration? It’s the sheer scale of the intake — 208,000 permanent immigrants and refugees each year, plus another 55,000 temporary ones (net) — that turns suburbs into ethnic colonies.

Nor will the government drop multiculturalism, the mad policy where we fund people to maintain their own cultures.

So applaud Tudge for seeing the problems.

Now demand real fixes.

Reactions: Medic007
I’m in Australia right now,on business, and read an article today in one of there papers about the lack of assimilation by minority groups coming to Australia which one of the ministers wants changed. He said “why would Arab or Chinese Nationals learn English and adopt Australia traditions, when then can move into an enclave of people who speak their native tongue and rely on that enclave for communal support.” I’ll try to find the article and post the link...had some other points as well.

Most previous immigrants came to America as an opportunity to better their life’s, not live off the radar and take advantage of this countries generosity. While many continued to speak their native tongue within their communities they strove to learn English and adopt American customs and beliefs. Have heard way to many stories of people from my dads and grandparents era that did just that. You can also bet they wouldn’t have stood around protesting while waving their birth countries flag.
Romanticizing the past? History suggests things were not so Rosy....

https://history.howstuffworks.com/h...-irish-immigrants-werent-considered-white.htm

You bring up a good point. They are truly used to a lower standard of living......which makes them ideal for settling in areas like rural Oklahoma.
Like towns along highway 33, or do they get a pass?

If that is what you're interpretation of my statement implied, then you truly don't get it. I'm not talking about 'can't afford starbucks daily lifestyle' difference here. I'm talking immigrants who live 5-7 (or more) adults in a 2 or 3 bedroom house or apartment, share a single car across multiple family units, and don't need a high-dollar cell phone or data plan. They reduce their cost of living so much through these acceptances, which would be hardships for most Americans, that it allows them to accept jobs that pay wages much less than what 'native' Americans would accept or be comfortable with.

If that is what you're interpretation of my statement implied, then you truly don't get it. I'm not talking about 'can't afford starbucks daily lifestyle' difference here. I'm talking immigrants who live 5-7 (or more) adults in a 2 or 3 bedroom house or apartment, share a single car across multiple family units, and don't need a high-dollar cell phone or data plan. They reduce their cost of living so much through these acceptances, which would be hardships for most Americans, that it allows them to accept jobs that pay wages much less than what 'native' Americans would accept or be comfortable with.
This lifestyle seems to bother you. What do you propose to be done about the situation?

This lifestyle seems to bother you. What do you propose to be done about the situation?

I don't have a problem with it. Although in what becomes a numbers game, I (unlike many it seems) recognize a race to the bottom when I see it. In order for the low-end of the working class and the entry level employee to work, they will have to accept pay ranges that only allow for this type of lifestyle. Based upon such anecdotal evidence as the Occupy Wallstreet movement and the March for $15 (raise minimum wage), it appears that our native citizenry doesn't want to reduce its lifestyle to these new paradigms, yet in the same breath, many of those same individuals continue to support immigration positions that only drive that minimum lifestyle lower.

As for what I'd do, I've stated it many times on this forum. I'm for limiting (not banning) immigration and I'm completely against the importation and acceptance of immigrants for the sole purpose of providing a cheap labor pool. Doing this would improve the overall salary levels for the lowest working classes within America. But that's just my position. In the end, I'm just calling out the inherent disconnect in the same Dems preaching better wages & salary for the lowest among us while promoting an open immigration society. I believe those are opposing positions.

I would note that this is not just happening at the lowest income levels. IT salaries are being depressed because of the importation of Asian labor who share many of these same lifestyle choices. There are entire apartment complexes in Dallas (and Tampa) dedicated to Indian consultants and immigrants who happily accept 80-100K for programming jobs that given the demand for STEM employees should pay double that. Again, I don't fault the business for doing what's necessary to save money. The current policies allow it. But its hypocritical for people to complain about the wealth and income gap and the so-called 1% while continuing to promote and support the policies that allow this type of labor rate deflation.

in a nutshell, this illustrates the lies of multiculturalism. in that regard, diversity is most definitely not our strength.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT