ADVERTISEMENT

Watchmen on HBO

I've now watched the first three episodes two times. You catch a lot on the second pass. To say there's a lot going on would be an understatement. I feel like I now have a gasp of the basic story even with the flashbacks. The two things I have no idea how connect are the Jeremy Irons character, that's one weird dude, and Mr. Manhattan.

I'm thinking the Jeremy Irons character is somehow connected to the chief of police who just died. Maybe his father?

Mr. Manhattan appears to have wonderws in off the street to the wrong show at this point.

I like President Redford. A nice touch.

Anybody else keeping up?

I've now watched the first three episodes two times. You catch a lot on the second pass. To say there's a lot going on would be an understatement. I feel like I now have a gasp of the basic story even with the flashbacks. The two things I have no idea how connect are the Jeremy Irons character, that's one weird dude, and Mr. Manhattan.

I'm thinking the Jeremy Irons character is somehow connected to the chief of police who just died. Maybe his father?

Mr. Manhattan appears to have wonderws in off the street to the wrong show at this point.

Anybody else keeping up?

Jeremy Irons character is Ozymandias...the main ultimate villain in the original comic books.

Reactions: AC_Exotic

Anybody else keeping up?

I’m keeping up. I don’t think Ozymandius has a connection to Jud (Don Johnson). Not sure how they will tie him and Dr Manhattan into the Tulsa events. Seems pretty likely that Jud was a leader of the 7th cavalry, and somehow behind the murders of the police.

Not sure how the black lady survived. She lost consciousness with one assassin dying in her kitchen and another pointing a shotgun at her face. Who was he and what happened to him?

I’m keeping up. I don’t think Ozymandius has a connection to Jud (Don Johnson). Not sure how they will tie him and Dr Manhattan into the Tulsa events. Seems pretty likely that Jud was a leader of the 7th cavalry, and somehow behind the murders of the police.

Not sure how the black lady survived. She lost consciousness with one assassin dying in her kitchen and another pointing a shotgun at her face. Who was he and what happened to him?

Sorry to see Jud go. He was my favorite character so far. I'm sure we will see a lot of him in flashbacks. I'll just say he sure had a nice house for a policeman.

Reactions: Been Jammin
The same guy that did a bad ass podcast on Chernobyl series is doing it over the watchmen series cohosting with the director. It’s a good listen

Reactions: CowboyJD
Never read the novels. Barely watched the movie. I'm fugging lost watching this. WTF is going on?

Never read the novels. Barely watched the movie. I'm fugging lost watching this. WTF is going on?

I read the novels and watched the movie. I’m just as lost as you I think.
You could go to Wikipedia and read the synopsis of the graphic novel. That would give you a little background on the FBI lady and the guy who clones his servants. But it won’t help you much.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
I read the novels and watched the movie. I’m just as lost as you I think.
You could go to Wikipedia and read the synopsis of the graphic novel. That would give you a little background on the FBI lady and the guy who clones his servants. But it won’t help you much.
Why don’t you jabronis wait and let things explain themselves. Worse than my wife.

Why don’t you jabronis wait and let things explain themselves. Worse than my wife.

To clarify. I'm not complaining about my current lack of understanding of the plot. I was just answering his question. I think the show is pretty great so far.

I'm not ready to call it a great show yet. I really enjoyed the early days of Westworld, but it fell off pretty badly in the end.

Starting to connect a few dots this week. At least we know how the Jeremy Irons character fits in now. Although I'm a little shaking on the exact technology behind that cloning machine. Is he planning on catapulting himself out of there once one of the crash test clones survives?

Starting to connect a few dots this week. At least we know how the Jeremy Irons character fits in now. Although I'm a little shaking on the exact technology behind that cloning machine. Is he planning on catapulting himself out of there once one of the crash test clones survives?

I'm assuming that Dr Manhattan imprisoned him on whatever world he is on, and that it is some type of other dimensional realm where "science" works differently than the reality of the rest of the characters. And, he is clearly trying to find a way to escape and get back to earth.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
I'm assuming that Dr Manhattan imprisoned him on whatever world he is on, and that it is some type of other dimensional realm where "science" works differently than the reality of the rest of the characters. And, he is clearly trying to find a way to escape and get back to earth.

I thought the Japanise women at the beginning of the show was buying the house and land so she could imprison him there. Didn't she say all she cloning technology was built on his science. I was under the impression she had kidnapped him and stolen his research.

I may be clueless. I have no idea how Dr. Manhattan fits into any of this.

I thought the Japanise women at the beginning of the show was buying the house and land so she could imprison him there. Didn't she say all she cloning technology was built on his science. I was under the impression she had kidnapped him and stolen his research.

I may be clueless. I have no idea how Dr. Manhattan fits into any of this.

Well, she did say that she has seen him somewhat recently and he is now very old in appearance. So, maybe you are on to something. However, she was buying the house and land in the Tulsa area, and I am pretty sure it was for the facility where she was when Angela Abar went to see her (and met her daughter).

Dr Manhattan is a godlike being, who can basically do whatever he wants. At the end of The Watchmen, he exiled himself to the moon so as to not meddle in the affairs of Earth's inhabitants. Ozymandias (Jeremy Irons) was supposedly the smartest man in the world, and The Watchmen is partially about his plan to create a phantom threat to unite the world's most powerful countries in order to prevent nuclear war. Along the way, he manipulates Dr Manhattan into doing things he regrets.

I am assuming that Dr. Manhattan felt that Ozymandias can not be trusted (or Manhattan is just pissed off at him), so he imprisoned him someplace where he (Ozymandias) can't harm anyone in the future.

Thought that the most recent was the best episode yet.

Thought so too. Watched it again last night and also read a couple of reviews that filled in some information.

Ozymandias is imprisoned on a moon of Jupiter by Dr. Manhattan confirmed by the show runners. Also each episode Ozmandias has been there one year longer based on the number of candles on his anniversary cake.

Not sure who or what exactly the Game Warden is

Looking Glass is my new favorite character. Surprised he turned on Sister Knight but I guess it was that or her whole family would be killed.

Probably shouldn't have been surprised that the Senator is secretly 7th Kalvery.

Jean Smart's charcter is a total bitch.

I'm dying to figure out where Dr. Manhattan fits into all of this.

Some of you guys realize they're following the comic book story line and not the movie don't you?

1985 transdimensional squid in NYC instead of the blue nuclear blast thought to be caused by Dr. Manhattan.

Reactions: Been Jammin
I'm dying to figure out where Dr. Manhattan fits into all of this.

Some of you guys realize they're following the comic book story line and not the movie don't you?

1985 transdimensional squid in NYC instead of the blue nuclear blast thought to be caused by Dr. Manhattan.

Having neither read the comic books nor seen the movie what I gathered about Dr. Manhattan to date:

He won the Vietnam war. Its apparently now a state. Not sure how but I would assume some kind of super weapon.

He used to be married to the Jean Smart Character?

He was the architect of 11/2. Along with Ozymandaiz. Not sure their exact relationship.

Somewhere Ozymandaiz went off the rails and Dr, Manhattan imprisoned him.

Dr. Manhattan now lives on Mars but still controls some things. It not clear what. He is most likely producing the squid falls as a reminder to be good or the big squid will come back.

The tower being built in Tulsa seem to be to communicate with him. Not sure the exact relationship of the lady building it to him nor how she fits in the story.

All or some of this could be wrong. Its just my impressions to date.

Reactions: RickBlaine
Having neither read the comic books nor seen the movie what I gathered about Dr. Manhattan to date:

He won the Vietnam war. Its apparently now a state. Not sure how but I would assume some kind of super weapon.

He used to be married to the Jean Smart Character?

He was the architect of 11/2. Along with Ozymandaiz. Not sure their exact relationship.

Somewhere Ozymandaiz went off the rails and Dr, Manhattan imprisoned him.

Dr. Manhattan now lives on Mars but still controls some things. It not clear what. He is most likely producing the squid falls as a reminder to be good or the big squid will come back.

The tower being built in Tulsa seem to be to communicate with him. Not sure the exact relationship of the lady building it to him nor how she fits in the story.

All or some of this could be wrong. Its just my impressions to date.
Ozmandus was the architect, Dr. Manhattan was the one who took the blame.

Yes Dr. Manhattan was married to Silk Spectre. They were all a part of a super team known as The Watchmen (also included the Comedian, Owlman, and Rorschach).

Nixon declared vigilantes illegal in the late 70s - early 80s.

1985 was when Ozmandus pulled his stunt to bring about world peace.

3 more episodes left!

A new podcast dropped tonight also.

I’m loving the show. The book blew me away when I first read it over 10 years ago.

I wonder if Dr. Manhattan will appear on the show directly?

Agreed, I saw no way they could make any sense of this in two episode but they might.

I assuming the clock tower is somehow tied to bringing Ozymandias back to save the day. The last scene was confusing but there were seven candles on the cake so its three years earlier.

Who knows. I been wrong about everything so far.

Agreed, I saw no way they could make any sense of this in two episode but they might.

I assuming the clock tower is somehow tied to bringing Ozymandias back to save the day. The last scene was confusing but there were seven candles on the cake so its three years earlier.

Who knows. I been wrong about everything so far.

I didn't see this shaping up as needing Ozymandias to "save the day", but maybe you are right. I guess if Dr Manhattan is out of commission, and the bad guys are in the process of acquiring his powers, I could imagine the smartest man in the world being needed. However, I can't figure out how Ozy would get back from Europa. He figured out how to set up the "S.O.S" outside of the bubble he is living within, but its not like someone can send a rescue ship and bring him back in less than a decade.

Maybe you are right and Lady Trieu has figured out a way to create some kind of wormhole to bring him back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT