ADVERTISEMENT

War on poverty +50 years

I can't think of a single historian who considers the War on Poverty to have lasted past 1973 at the latest, and most would end it around 1970. Is the WOP now considered any anti-poverty program after 1964?

Never heard anybody mention that the war on poverty had ended, so I'd say so.

(And I'm being serious. The war on poverty has been over for 4 decades?)

Out of curiosity, what specific government programs would you delete and what would you replace them with, if anything?

LBJ sold it as finally giving the poor a fair shot, govt removing everything that's held them back through better schools/neighborhoods/health care/etc. And it's the same song and dance every election season since. The phrase then was "A hand up, not a handout".

The results? This is the same tiered society we experienced before the onset of the Great Society, poverty levels almost identical decade after decade. Although, you can certainly make the case overselling government's capacity to solve this problem has created a perpetual cycle of dependency in those it was meant to help.

Here's an interesting IBD article on one of those hopes (better neighborhoods), including a 2011 HUD-commissioned study illuminating the shortcomings of Section 8 housing.

LBJ's War on Poverty (Ferguson)

Is 15% really that bad of a number? You can't expect it to be much lower. A lot of people are completely worthless.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

www.benefits.gov

Yes, there is a website. No, I'm not making it up. Click on the "benefit finder".

Originally posted by wyomingosualum:

Never heard anybody mention that the war on poverty had ended, so I'd say so.

(And I'm being serious. The war on poverty has been over for 4 decades?)
That kind of news rarely makes it outside of Castalia.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT