ADVERTISEMENT

Vibe check - What's your current opinion of the stability of OSU football?

Adman513

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Yukon
The comment in the other thread about coach Mason's "drip" made me try to be all hip like the kids and use the term "vibe check," but I'm not sure if I used it correctly. I'll be hitting the big 5-0 later this summer, so that's my excuse if I'm off on its correct usage. But I digress...

Just seeing the various comments concerning the announcement (finally) of DC Mason makes me wonder what everyone's thoughts are about the stability of the team, especially going into next fall. I'll go ahead and call myself out in that I was starting to well, not panic, but certainly raise my eyebrows in a "Well...now I don't know" kind of way in terms of 2022's season. Losing so much of the secondary as well as Havell-Peel and Antwine to the draft, key role players like Jernigan and Illingworth to say nothing of what was hoped to be a future Oline starter in Bennet...well, it sure seemed valid to start questioning what kind of team we would field come this fall! Such is the life of the fickle fan who's enthusiasm goes as the wind blows (and by wind--I mean hirings, firings, suspensions, recruiting hits/misses, rumors, portal hits, and everything in between). Indy essentially told us not to panic with the portal departures as we were over the limit anyway, but several of us (me included) seemed to ignore those facts the way the public ignored Kevin Bacon shouting "All is well!!" during the parade in Animal House.

Having said that...I think I'm back on the "You know--we may actually be pretty good this fall" train, and this is influenced by the announcement of the signee's who've enrolled in spring (ESPECIALLY Webber and Rangel) as well as the official announcement of Mason and the possibility of him bringing in some great players from the portal as well. I mean--IF we can get a couple of serviceable lineman (at least one seems promising in terms of his interest in us) as well as some dudes from Mason's connections...I think that will calm some of my larger nerves about who we lost vs. who we're bringing in. Then again (here I go again being fickle), there are still plenty of questions that need answers, such as:
  • Who will be the primary QB backup? If (er, when) Sanders has to sit out, would we have any confidence in the backup as we did with Ills?
  • Who takes over the #1 WR roll now that Martin is out of eligibility? We've seen quite a bit of production out of the remaining folks, but who will be "the" guy?
  • Although it's huge that Webber is here this spring, there's still a lot of blind faith that both he and Etienne will shore up the holes in the starting line. Let's say they do produce--what about depth? We've got some dudes, but can we count on them during injuries/breathers?
  • There's no doubt losing the 2 backers is a loss, but I'm still pumped about the potential of the younger guys (and the JUCO guy who enrolled this spring). I've seen enough of them to feel inspired that they'll do well. That's not saying there won't be a drop off, but still--I think they'll do well. However--the question remains in terms of how well the defense overall will respond to Mason and his adjustments--especially 2nd half adjustments.
Those are my back & forth thoughts, so what is your current frame of mind for the fall? More optimistic now with the DC hiring? About the same? Still in a wait-and-see approach?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News