ADVERTISEMENT

US Open

Question on Fix...

He was listed as Titan Mercury Wrestling club but his dad cornered him and his dad is the coach of Cowboy RTC? Anyone have any idea how these club affiliations etc work?? Titan Mercury had finalists at like every weight lol

Someone can correct me here but Stillwater was sort of an affiliate location for TMWC and so our guys who competed freestyle associated with them. Moving forward I think that setup may change to a degree and CRTC is going to grow into an independent club. Our guys had CRTC specialized singlets at the Open.

I'm not "in the know" but I'm curious why wrestlers like boo, rogers, smith, pic, etc do not enter us open? It's great training, great competition, etc. I'm wondering reason why you wouldn't. Rest?

I'm not "in the know" but I'm curious why wrestlers like boo, rogers, smith, pic, etc do not enter us open? It's great training, great competition, etc. I'm wondering reason why you wouldn't. Rest?

I'm not real sure. Could be their schedule. None of the PSU guys went due to their summer schedule.

I have a feeling that most of those guys are shooting for the U23 trials the first of June. Just guessing, though.

Flo is reporting that Zahid Valencia (79 kg) and Spencer Lee (57 kg) will be at the WTT next weekend. Sets up potential matches for Alex and Daton. Should be fun if they happen.

Flo is reporting that Zahid Valencia (79 kg) and Spencer Lee (57 kg) will be at the WTT next weekend. Sets up potential matches for Alex and Daton. Should be fun if they happen.

Looking forward to two great matches. Fix and Lee haven't wrestled since 2015 (with Fix winning).

I think AD is going to have a size and strength advantage over Zahid but should be a very competitive match.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Looking forward to two great matches. Fix and Lee haven't wrestled since 2015 (with Fix winning).

I think AD is going to have a size and strength advantage over Zahid but should be a very competitive match.

According to the Iowa board, Spencer Lee will not be wrestling at the senior WTT next weekend.

Reactions: osu2082
According to the Iowa board, Spencer Lee will not be wrestling at the senior WTT next weekend.

Did they give a reason? I wonder if it was a coach/club decision factoring in Gilman and Lee being junior eligible.

Did they give a reason? I wonder if it was a coach/club decision factoring in Gilman and Lee being junior eligible.

They just said it was part of the plan and that it wasn't due to an injury.

Lee could also try to make the U23 team in June. I'm guessing that if Daton doesn't make the Senior team, he'll try to make Juniors and U23s. That kid loves to compete.

BTW, Gable Steveson is wrestling both Juniors and Seniors next weekend. That's pretty cool.

They just said it was part of the plan and that it wasn't due to an injury.

Lee could also try to make the U23 team in June. I'm guessing that if Daton doesn't make the Senior team, he'll try to make Juniors and U23s. That kid loves to compete.

BTW, Gable Steveson is wrestling both Juniors and Seniors next weekend. That's pretty cool.
Taking time off is a strange decision by Lee. That's not his MO.

Not wrestling seniors, juniors, or U23s. Going over to Europe to wrestle in some tournaments during the summer.

Travis Wittlake is registered for the Junior WTT at 74 kg rather than 79 kg. I thought that might be a possibility after watching him at the Junior Open last month. I know there was some discussion on here about whether he was sick or just had an off tournament. My take was that he was undersized / underpowered for 79 kg. He went from wrestling 170 lb high school guys to 174 lb college guys (even Trent Hidlay wrestled most of his HS season at 182).

I think we could end up seeing Travis at 165 in college and Dustin Plott at 174.

You wonder if 157 would even be a possibility for him for one year. I think it's a long shot but thisbmove could be with that possibility in mind as well.

Reactions: Wrassler17
You wonder if 157 would even be a possibility for him for one year. I think it's a long shot but thisbmove could be with that possibility in mind as well.

You're talking about this coming year? Hadn't thought about that option. Hey, if Ryan Blees can make 149, why not? Kemerer is rumored to be going up and Jordan is rumored to be going down. You'd have Nolf, Hidlay & Pantaleo, plus guys like Shields and Berger back. I haven't seen Travis wrestle a lot in folkstyle, so I don't know how good he is on top/bottom. But he could potentially finish top 5 at nationals just based on his neutral skills.

How many team points does this lineup score?
125: Picc
133: Daton
141: Kaid (Kaden)
149: Boo
157: Travis
165: Joe
174: Jacobe (don't like him going up)
184: Chandler / Andrew / Keegan
197: Preston
285: Derek

You're talking about this coming year? Hadn't thought about that option. Hey, if Ryan Blees can make 149, why not? Kemerer is rumored to be going up and Jordan is rumored to be going down. You'd have Nolf, Hidlay & Pantaleo, plus guys like Shields and Berger back. I haven't seen Travis wrestle a lot in folkstyle, so I don't know how good he is on top/bottom. But he could potentially finish top 5 at nationals just based on his neutral skills.

How many team points does this lineup score?
125: Picc
133: Daton
141: Kaid (Kaden)
149: Boo
157: Travis
165: Joe
174: Jacobe (don't like him going up)
184: Chandler / Andrew / Keegan
197: Preston
285: Derek
85. A very strong squad up and down the lineup but without a lot of finalist potential. I see 6-7 AA's and one finalist as of now, potentially two. If two, then 90-95 points.

I came up with 105 with 2 finalists. 8AA. I am a better predictor, I guess o_O

Pretty good, I'm thinking 9 AA with that lineup. And then several guys with a decent shot at making the finals (and winning). Obviously there could be none, but consider these weights.

125 - Lee is in. Think Suriano, Lizak, and Fausz move up, so Bresser and Rivera would be Picc's main competition. Think he is better than both.
133 - Absolutely brutal weight class. Gross is in. Then there are a ton of quality guys after him, but Micic would probably be Daton's biggest threat. Think Daton is better. Possible champ.
141 - Yianni is in. Then McKenna and Eierman would be the favorites. If an energized Kaid up at 141 can get off bottom, I think he gives them both all they can handle.
149 - Jordan is probably the favorite here, but the weight is wide open without Zain. We've seen passive Boo and aggressive Boo. Aggressive Boo can beat any of them. That's right, possible champ.
197 - Moore, Warner, Darmstadt, Rasheed, Conel, and Miklus are at the top. A healthy Preston is right there with all of them. Possible champ.
285 - Dhesi would probably be the favorite, but rumors have him graduating and moving on. That leaves Stoll and Nevills as the front runners. Derek can beat them both. Led the team in takedowns and even got one against Snyder, so who can't he take down? Give him another year of adjusting to the weight class and perfecting his attacks. That's right, another possible champ.

Was thinking about the college guys and forgot about Steveson, who will probably wrestle as a true freshman. Still think Derek can make the finals though.

Kaden is registered for the Junior WTT at 65 kg. That's probably going to be it for us. I think Austin Harris may have qualified and could still register because he was a Fargo AA last year. He might be focused on making the Greco team now though.

Kaden's bracket is loading up. Besides the Junior Open qualifiers, Jarod Verkleeren dropped down from 70 kg, and Nick Lee, Chad Red, and Sammy Sasso have registered.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT