ADVERTISEMENT

University Worlds

Looks like Caldwell is in the finals after a 7-0 win in the semis. I think the finals start around 11:00 am. It's been kind of hard to follow but I think Kilgore still has to wrestle his semis match and mcd lost 10-7 in the semis and will wrestle for bronze. It sure would be nice if we could get three medals on day one with two of them being golds!

For those in the leisure class like yours truly the finals will be live on the following link: http://birkozoszov.hu/index.php?menu=69. I went to this site and it is off air at this point. I do not know what time the finals start. Caldwell wrestles Shamil Imam Osmanov who was 5th in the 2014 Ivan Yargin Grand Prix in Russia. Kilgore faces Faith Yasarl of Turkey and Matt McDonough going for the bronze against Petro Bileichuk of Ukraine. Anyone knowing the CST for the finals let us know.

Per Hawkeye sight, McD won bronze too. USA wrestling hasn't posted anything to confirm it yet. The video source is worthless. I can't make any sense of it. The countries wrestling (id'd by singlet) do not match anything on the bracket.

Proud, the sight was totally a waste of time. "They showed both Kilgore and Caldwell wrestling on Mat B and I saw neither. Most of the time it was live video of the awards stand or old wrestling matches. Congrats to Tyler and Kilgore and McDonough. Come on Chris win another Gold for us tomorrow!

Maybe we are spoiled with Flo, espn3, etc. Maybe it is just too hard to keep track of who's who at an international tournament. But I would think if trackwrestling can give updates on 20 mats at Fargo or several other tournaments with only a few second delay, it wouldn't be hard to keep track of two mats with updated brackets and a graphic on the screen showing flags so any viewer from any country could know what is going on. I'm not the one having to do it, so I might expect too much.

Nice day for USA wrestling and congratulations to Tyler. I think he will be missed so much from our team, because of his great attitude, work ethic and focus on things a college student should be doing.

Why was Caldwell on the team? What happened to the guy who beat him at the trials?

Congrats to him. Any Gold in international competition is a great thing.

Chris Perry is in a 16 man bracket and his first match is with A. Frant of Roumania. James Green is in a 12 man bracket and his first match is with Jere Kunnas of Finland. Bernard Futrell is in a 12 man bracket and his first match is with Masakazu Kamoi of Japan. Tyrell Fortune is in an 8 man bracket at 125 and his first match is with Alexandr Romanov of MDA.

I just watched two vidows of A. Frant of Romania wrestling. He won one against a short pudgy Italian and lost a technical fall to an Iranian. He has little talent or movement and this should be a walkover for Chris.

Originally posted by lookleft goright:
Why was Caldwell on the team? What happened to the guy who beat him at the trials?

Congrats to him. Any Gold in international competition is a great thing.
I'd like to add, very nice seeing (at least in my mind's eye) Caldwell at the top of the podium of a big tourney.

Just watched Chris win his second match 4-2 against Korkmaz of Turkey and is in the semis. He was leading 4-0 and gave up a late takedown.

Just watched Tyrell Fortune get a first period fall after a great throw over Romanov of MDA.Bernard Futrell had an 8-1 first round win over Kamoi of Japan. No results yet on James Green at 70kg.

AZchief

Appreciate your remarks as Tyler seems like a great kid. He had the misfortune of wrestling in the weight class of some of the greats in only finishing behind Burroughs, Dake, and Taylor in his last three years. Might go down as one of the best to never with an NCAA championship.

That was quick as Chris had two takedowns in the first period and then converted the second takedown to a cradle and pinned the Hungarian and he is now in the finals. He will wrestle Piotr Ianulov of MDA in the finals.
This post was edited on 7/9 10:12 AM by oberebo

Finals matches are all set and the USA is in all four. Bernard Futrell will wrestle Tumebileg of Mongolia at 61kg. James Green of the US will wrestle Nedealco of MDA at 70kg. Chris Perry will wrestle Ianulov of MDA at 86kg andTyrell Fortune will wrestle Bozkurt of Turkey at heavyweight. Congrats to all four US wrestlers!

Republic of Moldova is a landlocked country in Eastern Europe
located between Romania to its west and Ukraine to its north, east and
south.

Thanks King! I was hesitant to post the country name and I certainly did not know its location.

Futrell loses 11-12 on a controversial takedown with about 1 second on the clock. The referee awarded two points to tie the score 12-12 but on review it was called a pushout as Futrell did not have the other leg in bounds. Great match to watch.

More heartbreak as James Green loses by fall with 10 seconds to go in match. He was leading 4-2 when Nedealco of Moldavia got a takedown evening the score at 4-4 but Nedealco would have won by criteria. Green had to go for a takedown and was thrown to his back for a fall. 0-2 so far and lets make it 2-2 in finals with wins by Perry and Fortune.

Chris loses 5-3 after leading 3-1. He gave up a takedown to make it 3-3 but the Moldavian was winning on Criteria. He tried to turn his opponent and gave up a last second takedown. 0-3 for the Americans.

I think Oklahoma State needs to start recruiting in the Republic of Moldova!

This post was edited on 7/9 1:35 PM by OSUMatFan

Finally! Success at heavyweight as Tyrelll Fortune scores a 11-1 tf over theTurkish wrestler. All in all not a bad two days with 7 medals out of eight weights, one champion and five finalists. I will say that Chris is at a serious disadvantage at 86 kg as most wrestlers are much taller and just bigger. He is a tweener and that is sad. Congrats to him and all of our wrestlers for a very good tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT