ADVERTISEMENT

U17/U20 Nationals This Week

Chasingthirty-five

2nd Team
Gold Member
Apr 24, 2023
Starts Friday morning and finishes Saturday evening. Honestly was hoping to see more of our young guys, but I think the ones I would expect have already quailfied for the trials other ways. U17s this is their shot to make the cadet world team. U20s, the winner represents at the Pan American games and has pass to the finals for world team trials. other top 8 qualify for world team trials.

U20 Cowboys/Recruits

57kg:
Jax Forrest

61kg:
Cael Hughes
JJ McComas

70kg:
Ishmael Guerrero

74kg:
Ladarion Lockett

79kg:
AJ Heeg

86kg:
Jersey Robb

U17
51kg
Ignacio Villasenor

80kg
Ethan Teague

Last edited:
Adding to the list of CWC guys are Jaxen Wright (74), Carlos Alvarado (86) and Hayden Simpson (125).

He was talked about on here at some point due to him being fairly new to wrestling but went undefeated this year as a senior, but Liam Daniels of Edmond/Del City is at 86.

U17 has several Oklahomans like Cason Craft, Devon Miller, Eric Casula, and Legend Ellis. Edmond North has an entrant named Thomas Verrette who was at Pondorosa, CO. He won state there as a Fr and So. He must be moving in?

Nikade Zinkin a CA state champ from Clovis, CA is entered at 65kg. He just visited.

Michael Mocco (FL) is at 110 kg

Ok can yall explain how the world team fits in with the Olympics? Is it similar world competition but more often?

Yes. Every year. With more weights now that the Olympics is reduced.
Thanks. Why is Olympics more prestigious then? Because of fewer weights, historical significance, more participants? Or in the wrestling world is it not actually more prestigious.

Thanks. Why is Olympics more prestigious then? Because of fewer weights, historical significance, more participants? Or in the wrestling world is it not actually more prestigious.
Something that happens every 4 years compared to every year where it is harder to make the team and qualify. Its represented on a bigger stage and seen by far more people around the world.

Historical significance is probably the best answer and you have less opportunities to go for it. There are significantly more "world champs" than there are Gold medalists. It's also not guaranteed that you'll get to even go to the olympics in wrestling as the weight has to be qualified for your country. 57kg and 65kg still have to do that for Paris. The fewer weights thing is new and was part of the compromise to save wrestling as an olympic sport (so absurd). Hoping as its popularity continues to rise that will be reversed within the next decade.

Reactions: bwel9339
Spencer Lee and Zain Retherford will compete at the World Qualifying Tournament May 9-12 in Instanbul for the last chance. I believe only the two finalists get in.

We typically would qualify these weights at the previous World Championship (top 5 places) OR the Pan American games (top 2).

Zane Richards and Nick Lee failed to qualify us at Worlds and both got a chance at Pan American and failed there too. Zane lost to RBY (Mexico) and Lee to Cruz (Puerto Rico).

Kinda fitting that neither of them will get a third chance IMO and a success of our trials. Not sure how Lee and Zain will fair but glad they are getting their own chance to send themselves to the Olympics.

FYI Zain was the World Champ at 70kg, a non olympic weight.

Last edited:
Davis from psu is now entered at 61kg. Hopefully we get to see him and Hughes scrap. JJ Mc will be in that mix as well.

Historical significance is probably the best answer and you have less opportunities to go for it. There are significantly more "world champs" than there are Gold medalists. It's also not guaranteed that you'll get to even go to the olympics in wrestling as the weight has to be qualified for your country. 57kg and 65kg still have to do that for Paris. The fewer weights thing is new and was part of the compromise to save wrestling as an olympic sport (so absurd). Hoping as its popularity continues to rise that will be reversed within the next decade.
OK, makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

Reactions: Chasingthirty-five
62kg champ at 15u Greco was Justus Heeg, he is also in the round of 16 for freestyle, might want to keep our eye on him now that the family moved to Minnesota.

Reactions: Chasingthirty-five
62kg champ at 15u Greco was Justus Heeg, he is also in the round of 16 for freestyle, might want to keep our eye on him now that the family moved to Minnesota.
I look forward to seeing how Cael Hughes does at the 20 and under tournament. I see these wrestlers as potential National Champs down the road Hughes, Lockett, Sakamoto, Thompson, Plott, Carroll and Merrill. Potential All Americans down the road is Spratley, Jamison, Williams, Travis, Hamiti and maybe Fish. Also we will get a better picture of Jersey Robb with this tournament. After next year our lineup could be 125 Spratley jun., 133 Sakamoto fr., 141 Hughes soph., 149 Williams jun., 157 Travis sen., 165 Lockett fr., 174 Thompson soph., 184 Robb soph., 197 Carroll soph., and HWT Merrill fr. I am also wanting to see Heeg if he is a potential 174 star in the future.

In the finals of freestyle, in addition he won a Minnesota State championship as an 8th grader this year at 133.

Reactions: bwel9339 and DPJ
Excited to see what AJ can do too. I wouldn’t rule him out by any means after Hamiti leaves.
I agree. There has been very little discussed here on AJ Heeg. Wasn't he a high recruit who we flipped last min? He had some impressive showings as a high schooler. There certainly has to be some concern over him leaving since brining in Hamiti at 174 with Thompson redshirting. I would really like to see what we have in him this year and if he shows more promise with a successful future than Thompson.

I agree. There has been very little discussed here on AJ Heeg. Wasn't he a high recruit who we flipped last min? He had some impressive showings as a high schooler. There certainly has to be some concern over him leaving since brining in Hamiti at 174 with Thompson redshirting. I would really like to see what we have in him this year and if he shows more promise with a successful future than Thompson.
Ya he was def a top ~30ish recruit. I think the plan was always to redshirt him though so I would hope they see how this year goes and it’s a battle for who goes 174 between him and Thompson.

Also wouldn’t be so surprised if ended up with either of them battling Rob at 184 too.

McComas loses first round to an incoming sophomore at Cornell.
Guerrero loses to incoming RSFR at Illinois who was a top ranked ‘23 recruit. Tough draw there.
Hughes 10-0 tech in first period.
Forrest 13-2 tech in first period.

I look forward to seeing how Cael Hughes does at the 20 and under tournament. I see these wrestlers as potential National Champs down the road Hughes, Lockett, Sakamoto, Thompson, Plott, Carroll and Merrill. Potential All Americans down the road is Spratley, Jamison, Williams, Travis, Hamiti and maybe Fish. Also we will get a better picture of Jersey Robb with this tournament. After next year our lineup could be 125 Spratley jun., 133 Sakamoto fr., 141 Hughes soph., 149 Williams jun., 157 Travis sen., 165 Lockett fr., 174 Thompson soph., 184 Robb soph., 197 Carroll soph., and HWT Merrill fr. I am also wanting to see Heeg if he is a potential 174 star in the future.

McCommas could be an AA contender. He's made massive improvements over the last year.

Would probably anticipate Heeg at 174 and Thompson at 184 for the 25-26 season.

Then he goes feet to back straight into a leg lace for a 10-0 win in 16 sec haha. Let’s have some fun on the consi side!
I watched Cael Hughes match where he easily teched his opponent who was overmatched. Lockett looked more impressive in his tech. Heeg won by tech along with Robb. McComas lost mostly getting head pinched, Guerrero overmatched by Webster who was in Hughes graduation class and in his weight for several years. Highly rated prospect probably even with Hughes. Jax Forrest wins by easy tech.

Reactions: bwel9339
Travis Grace of Gilroy, who is maybe young enough to wrestle U17 but is at U20, has two quick tech falls over Sean Degl, an incoming freshman to Penn State and over Isaiah Fenton who is finishing his freshman year at Iowa. He gets Thomas Snipes, a freshman at The Citadel, in the next round.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT