ADVERTISEMENT

U-20

OSUMatFan

All-American
Mar 16, 2005
R16 - Christian Carroll (United States) VSU 1 Ksawery Kaminski (Poland) 14-2
Quarterfinal - Amirreza Fardin Masoumi Valadi (Iran) VSU Christian Carroll (United States) 10-0
The Iranian is the son of previous world champion and should be able to pull Christian through.

86 kg - Bennett Berge 2-0 (in semifinal)​

R16 - Bennett Berge (United States) VPO1 Ivan Chornohuz (Ukraine), 9-5

Quarterfinal - Bennett Berge (United States) VSU Slavi Rumenov Stamenov (Bulgaria) 11-0

79 kg - Matthew Singleton 3-1 (in bronze medal match)​

After three straight victories at the U20 World Championships, NC State's Matt Singleton dropped a tough bout in the semis to Senior World 5th place finisher Sagar Jaglan of India. He'll compete for bronze tomorrow.

Qual - Matthew Singleton (United States) VSU1 Denizbek Ulan uulu (Kyrgyzstan), 12-2 2:46

R16 - Matthew Singleton (United States) VSU Nandor Hajduch (Hungary), 10-0 1:04

Quarterfinal - Matthew Singleton (United States) VPO1 Narek Grigoryan (Armenia), 10-6

Semifinal - Sagar Jaglan (India) VSU1 Matthew Singleton (United States), 16-6 4:45

74 kg - Mitchell Mesenbrink 3-0 (in semifinal)​

Qual - Mitchell Mesenbrink (United States) VSU Ion Marcu (Moldova), 10-0 2:10

R16 - Mitchell Mesenbrink (United States) VSU1 Elkhan Garayev (Azerbaijan), 12-1 2:53

Quarterfinal - Mitchell Mesenbrink (United States) VSU Jaideep Jaideep (India), 11-0 1:10

Team USA brings loaded squads to Amman, Jordan in search of medals at the 2023 U20 World Championships. Follow all of their results by saving this article and refreshing often. We'll keep a list of how every American wrestler performs each day along with links to all archived matches.
To stay up to date with the team race, follow Jon Kozak's Team Race Tracker for updates.
Watch Live

2023 U20 World Championships​

Days 1 & 2 - Men's Freestyle​

57 kg - Luke Lilledahl 4-0 (in gold medal match)​

After reaching the U17 World finals for the past two years, Luke Lilledahl has repeated the accomplishment up at the U20 division. His semifinal victory was a dramatic come-from-behind win over a tough Abdullayev of Azerbaijan.
Qual - Luke Lilledahl (United States) VPO1 Lev Pavlov (Individual Neutral Athletes), 9-2
R16 - Luke Lilledahl (United States) VPO1 Tolga Ozbek (Turkiye), 6-1
Quarterfinal - Luke Lilledahl (United States) VPO1 Edik Harutyunyan (Armenia), 8-3
Semifinal - Luke Lilledahl (United States) VFA Ruslan Abdullayev (Azerbaijan), 9-7 5:54

61 kg - Nic Bouzakis 2-1 (in needs Mohit, IND to advance to final to be pulled into repechage)​

Qual - Nicholas Bouzakis (United States) VPO1 Shehabeldin Mohamed (Egypt), 4-2
R16 - Nicholas Bouzakis (United States) VPO1 Yahor Rudauski (Individual Neutral Athlete) 9-6
Quarterfinal - Kumar Mohit (India) VPO1 Nicholas Bouzakis (United States) 12-11

65 kg - Jesse Mendez 4-0 (in gold medal match)​

Ohio State All-American Jesse Mendez has battled through four tough bouts to reach the U20 World finals at 65 kg. He was unable to medal at 60 kg two years ago, but now he's guaranteed one of the top two spots in Jordan.
Qual - Jesse Mendez (United States) VPO1 Mykyta Zubal (Ukraine), 2-1
R16 - Jesse Mendez (United States) VPO1 Aden Sakybaev (Kyrgyzstan), 7-2
Quarterfinal - Jesse Mendez (United States) VPO1 Ion Berghi (Moldova), 13-4
Semifinal -Jesse Mendez (United States) VPO1 Abdullah Toprak (Turkiye), 3-1

70 kg - Meyer Shapiro 4-0 (in gold medal match)​

Incoming Cornell freshman Meyer Shapiro has looked incredible through four matches at the U20 World Championships. The 2021 U17 World champ looks to match his U17 accomplishment up an age division in tomorrow's finals.
Qual - Meyer Shapiro (United States) VSU Yuma Tomiyama (Japan), 11-0 3:37
R16 - Meyer Shapiro (United States) VPO1 Mirjavad Nabiyev (Azerbaijan), 6-4
Quarterfinal - Meyer Shapiro (United States) VPO Magomed Baitukaev (Individual Neutral Athletes), 8-0
Semifinal - Meyer Shapiro (United States) VSU Julian George (Puerto Rico), 11-0 2:27

How tall is Carroll? Because that Iranian had about 6'' on him. Carroll's head was at his shoulders. Dude had to be at the 125kg threshold. Absolute unit!

That Iranian HWT has absolutely no business in a U-20 tournament. It'll be interesting to see him against full grown men in the future.
He beat Zillmer (thx thosick) 6-1 last December at the World Cup. Also notable that he beat Feldman 11-1 on his way to Gold at the 2022 U20s.

Last edited:
Also, Mesenbrink has got a low single down as his go to. Not quite the old school JS low single but he hit it multiple times and it looks really good.

How tall is Carroll? Because that Iranian had about 6'' on him. Carroll's head was at his shoulders. Dude had to be at the 125kg threshold. Absolute unit!

Look at him compared to the guy from China. Looks like Yao Ming out there

Reactions: Okie_Pat
Zillmer beat him 6-1 last December at the World Cup. Also notable that he beat Feldman 11-1 on his way to Gold at the 2022 U20s.

He actually beat Zillmer 6-1 at that tourney. He’s at an extremely high level for his age.
Was hoping Christian wouldn’t hit him until the finals, but hoping he can still come home with some hardware.

Here’s the match link with Zillmer.

Carroll lost his repechage to Turkey he was pinned down big .
Carroll probably needs to redshirt and get a little stronger and more skilled. We have Doucette at that weight class for this year. I can't believe he tried to pull the Turkish Hwt over his shoulder with a throw. If he gets into a front headlock by his opponent, he almost lost every one of those situations. He will be very good but he may redshirt I would suspect. He got beat down bad in his 2 losses.

Reactions: west2east
Carroll probably needs to redshirt and get a little stronger and more skilled. We have Doucette at that weight class for this year. I can't believe he tried to pull the Turkish Hwt over his shoulder with a throw. If he gets into a front headlock by his opponent, he almost lost every one of those situations. He will be very good but he may redshirt I would suspect. He got beat down bad in his 2 losses.
No one gloats in the failure of OSU wrestlers, signees, or prospects with quite the consistency and flair.

Because if there's any mark of a knowledgeable and likely very personally successful fan, it's that they hold the program they support to the highest standards in order to associate with it and feel better about themselves for it. And HOW DARE that program not provide constant affirmation!

You'd make a banger of an ou football fan.

No one gloats in the failure of OSU wrestlers, signees, or prospects with quite the consistency and flair.

Because if there's any mark of a knowledgeable and likely very personally successful fan, it's that they hold the program they support to the highest standards in order to associate with it and feel better about themselves for it. And HOW DARE that program not provide constant affirmation!

You'd make a banger of an ou football fan.
I don't like you either. Your insight is poor, because I don't gloat when we fail, it actually causes some pain and frustration with our 15 year fall. Also I need to have constant affirmation from the wrestling program and so I can't stand any disappointment. I can't believe it there has been so little disappointment in the last 15 years I should be so pleased with our performances. I also went through the Iowa dynasty which was very painful and stuck being a fan. I had great enjoyment from our 4 year run but we blew all that momentum quickly. I think Carroll is a very important wrestler for us and is a potential National Champ. I was hoping he would medal and I was disappointed he didn't. Horrible, because I did not think he wrestled good his last 2 matches.

Doucet.

Carroll will beat 98% of ncaa heavy right now. No way he Redshirts barring a injury

Reactions: turfpoke
I don't like you either. Your insight is poor, because I don't gloat when we fail, it actually causes some pain and frustration with our 15 year fall. Also I need to have constant affirmation from the wrestling program and so I can't stand any disappointment. I can't believe it there has been so little disappointment in the last 15 years I should be so pleased with our performances. I also went through the Iowa dynasty which was very painful and stuck being a fan. I had great enjoyment from our 4 year run but we blew all that momentum quickly. I think Carroll is a very important wrestler for us and is a potential National Champ. I was hoping he would medal and I was disappointed he didn't. Horrible, because I did not think he wrestled good his last 2 matches.
OK, I'll back off a bit. You don't gloat when we fail, you emote like a 14 year old girl whose crush chose that little b&*%h Daphne.

• Haha
Reactions: osu2082
While you may be a little pessimistic for my taste, you are honest in your opinions, and it is easy to tell you watch a lot of wrestling.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
15 year fall my butt. There’s a handful of top 2, top 3, top 4, top 10 finishes in the last 15 years. That’s only a decline if you expect to win NCs every year and Okie State hasn’t been THAT team in 70 years, man. Our early 2000s 4 NC run was awesome, yes, but this is extremely rare in sports and Penn State is currently the hot team. Carroll is a national champion in freestyle for under 20 and he hasn't even started D1 competition. Give the kid some credit rather than whining about him not being a world medaler yet. IMO.

15 year fall my butt. There’s a handful of top 2, top 3, top 4, top 10 finishes in the last 15 years. That’s only a decline if you expect to win NCs every year and Okie State hasn’t been THAT team in 70 years, man. Our early 2000s 4 NC run was awesome, yes, but this is extremely rare in sports and Penn State is currently the hot team. Carroll is a national champion in freestyle for under 20 and he hasn't even started D1 competition. Give the kid some credit rather than whining about him not being a world medaler yet. IMO.
OK, I'll back off a bit. You don't gloat when we fail, you emote like a 14 year old girl whose crush chose that little b&*%h Daphne.
Your graciousness stuns me. I didn't think you had any of that quality and here I find out you are full of it. By the way, who is Daphne?

According to Flo's DI rankings 17 of the top 24 ranked wrestlers at HWT are Seniors. This is obviously a grown man's weight. Not to take anything away from Carroll because I think he's a beast and is going to be really good for us, but RS him isn't a terrible idea if not to just get this senior class out of the way. It would give him a better chance at winning multiple titles. I think the best option would be to let him wrestle the max allotted amount of duals early on and see how he does and still be able to retain his RS status if he needs it.

The worst 15 years of Oklahoma State wrestling history by a wide margin. You don't see that as a decline? With Carroll he is a blue chip recruit with great potential but from watching his matches at junior worlds I did not think he wrestled good. I acknowledge I see the glass half empty. I think the wrestling world who doesn't wear orange and black sunglasses look at the last 15 years as a whole as us being in a decline. Your statement that it could only be seen as a decline if we expected to win every year is wrong. The last 15 years could be looked as a decline if you expected even only 1 National Championship team title.

Reactions: Wrassler17
The worst 15 years of Oklahoma State wrestling history by a wide margin. You don't see that as a decline? With Carroll he is a blue chip recruit with great potential but from watching his matches at junior worlds I did not think he wrestled good. I acknowledge I see the glass half empty. I think the wrestling world who doesn't wear orange and black sunglasses look at the last 15 years as a whole as us being in a decline. Your statement that it could only be seen as a decline if we expected to win every year is wrong. The last 15 years could be looked as a decline if you expected even only 1 National Championship team title.
Willie said Carroll and several others were pretty sick over there, so I would take his results with a grain of salt.

No I don’t see it as a decline. I see that period of 2002-2006 as a highlight. The time since then is more the norm of Okie State wrestling history minus the dominance 70 years ago. Look at the data man. 2nd place twice in that time period. 3rd a few years ago. That’s not a decline to me. That’s results that any program would be proud of. You may WANT Okie State to be “the big dog everyone wants to beat” but it’s just not the case. Penn State came in and revolutionized the sport. If our staff and athletes stay consistent and hungry for success we will be fine.

Last two years were rough and that feels fresh but did we reload or did everybody bail? Is there momentum? I’m not gonna convince you to be optimistic but complaining constantly when others aren’t is going to get you called out.

Everyone else - sorry to soapbox. If dude keeps bothering me I’ll just put him on ignore. Not trying to cause any drama here.

Everyone got beat down bad by those two

Reactions: vhsalum and DPJ
Why RS him when this day and age kids transfer at a high rates over any tiny issue or for Nil$ .
Dude is a stud and our best Heavy by a wide margin. He will win every wrestle off at OSU
Kid will be recruited to transfer by the Big NIL programs before his 4 years are up and Studs do not want to be Rs. It’s super important for OSU to get back in top 8 at the NCAA’s this year and show the future recruits the last two years isn’t what OSU is now and this kid is a huge weapon to help OSU get there

Why RS him when this day and age kids transfer at a high rates over any tiny issue or for Nil$ .
Dude is a stud and our best Heavy by a wide margin. He will win every wrestle off at OSU
Kid will be recruited to transfer by the Big NIL programs before his 4 years are up and Studs do not want to be Rs. It’s super important for OSU to get back in top 8 at the NCAA’s this year and show the future recruits the last two years isn’t what OSU is now and this kid is a huge weapon to help OSU get there
100% correct

Reactions: oberebo
I agree as well, with the easy transfer rules redshirting your clearly best guy at a weight makes less sense. We're now seeing multiple elite guys (such as Spratley) transferring after their redshirt year to somewhere else with 4 years of eligibility. This risk is real for all programs...

Also don't forget Carroll committed to Illinois and Penn before coming to OSU, plus the Coleman hire *could* mean Smith retires before he graduates. There's a lot change happening in Stillwater, so getting him out there right away is the best call in my opinion.

Oklahoma st is one of the big NIL programs

Reactions: turfpoke and JAY45
I can't imagine having that kind of money as a incoming freshman in college. I was broke as a joke and still manage to get into a little (harmless) trouble. Hopefully these guys have great family support and a good money manager!

Reactions: 100TonsofOrangeFury
Christian Carroll is very strong and already a full grown man. Not sure if Christian was sick, but he is 19 years old. Christian does not have the frame to put on much more weight. He is awesome on his feet and will be competitive on his feet this year with everyone except Gable Stephenson.

The rumor is food poisoning was rampant. Kennedy Blades was hospitalized overnight, and was 6 kg under weight for the second day. Carroll was mentioned as another affected.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT