ADVERTISEMENT

TW: Eddie Sutton on OSU hiring Doug Gottlieb....

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma
If coaching change is made at OSU, Eddie Sutton would support Doug Gottlieb hire
by Tulsa World Sports Writer Bill Haisten

Posted: Wednesday March 9, 2016 12:15 am

During a recent interview, it was mentioned to Eddie Sutton that one of his former players — Doug Gottlieb — apparently wants to become Oklahoma State’s next head basketball coach.

If OSU does make a change, Sutton said, he would endorse the hiring of Gottlieb.

“I would. Sean would, too,” Eddie Sutton said, referring to his son Sean Sutton.
Eddie Sutton played at OSU during the 1950s and was the Cowboy coach from 1990-2006. Sean Sutton was an OSU point guard during the early ‘90s, an OSU assistant 1993-2006 and the Cowboys’ head coach in 2006-08. Gottlieb was OSU’s point guard in 1997-2000.

From sources, there are indications that the university may be ready to buy out the final three seasons of the 10-year contract Travis Ford signed in 2009.

It is believed that the 40-year-old Gottlieb, currently a college basketball analyst and national radio host for CBS Sports, has a strong interest in coaching the Cowboys. He never before has coached, but is the son of a coach — the late Bob Gottlieb — who was a Sutton assistant at Creighton before taking head-coaching positions at Jacksonville University and Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

“Most players who are any good, and if they’ve played in a good coaching situation, they can coach,” Eddie Sutton said. “I would have no problem in supporting (Doug Gottlieb). I think Sean would feel the same way.

“Doug is smart. I think he would be a great recruiter. If he’s smart enough to get good assistant coaches — guys who similar to the way he feels — I think he would be all right.”

Only OSU athletic director Mike Holder knows whether a coaching change will be made at the end of the Cowboy season, but he isn’t talking. Holder says he won’t discuss any aspect of the Cowboy program until after this week’s Big 12 Tournament.

In reference to Oklahoma State’s declining attendance figures and season-ticket sales totals, Eddie Sutton said, “There was a period there (at Gallagher-Iba Arena) when the place was rocking, and it was as good as any place in America. It’s not that way now. It’s sad to go over there and see how few people are in the stands.

“If they change the coach, hopefully we can get somebody that all of us can pull together and try to get it back.”

Bill Haisten 918-581-8397

bill.haisten@tulsaworld.com

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News