ADVERTISEMENT

Top Instant-Impact Newcomers for 2022

FTWpoke

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2006
I would have gone with Webber (or, at least, I hope it is). If it's Shettron our receiving corps will be outstanding. Thought maybe Gordon or Brown might get a nod too.

They think McAlister is going to be Ohio State's biggest impact player next year? He was outstanding for us but would be surprised if he does that well for them.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ge-football-top-instant-impact-newcomers-2022

College football's top instant-impact newcomers for 2022​

With the college football season over, coaches are now looking toward the 2022 season.
Transfers have become an integral part of the roster management process and a way too quickly fill needs and holes. Plenty of big names have transferred already, and with nearly 80% of the top 2022 recruits signing in December, we have a good picture of who might make an immediate impact next season.

Factoring in transfers, 2022 prospects and freshmen who didn't see the field this season, here are some of the immediate-impact newcomers for each top-25 team for the 2022 season.

i
1. Alabama Crimson Tide

CB Eli Ricks
Sophomore
Transfer from LSU

Alabama has a few options who could go on this list with Georgia Tech running back Jahmyr Gibbs transferring in and the staff signing another top-three recruiting class headlined by five-star wide receiver Shazz Preston and ESPN 300 defensive tackle Jaheim Oatis. But Alabama is losing some contributors in the secondary, and as was on display in the national championship game, its youth and lack of experience at corner needed to be addressed. Ricks was a freshman All-American in 2020. He missed most of the 2021 season because of a shoulder injury but should be able to make an immediate impact at Alabama.

i
2. Ohio State Buckeyes

S Tanner McCalister
Senior
Transfer from Oklahoma State

McCalister is following defensive coordinator Jim Knowles to Ohio State, so that familiarity will help McCalister see the field early. Ohio State could also use help in the secondary, and McCalister has been versatile in Knowles' defense at Oklahoma State. He had 39 total tackles, one interception and six pass breakups last season.
Safety Tanner McCalister (right) is transferring from one OSU (Oklahoma State) to another (Ohio State). Photo by Brian Bahr/Getty Images

i
3. Georgia Bulldogs

ATH Malaki Starks
2022 recruit
ESPN 300 ranking: 10

Starks is a five-star prospect who's ranked No. 10 overall in the 2022 class and signed with the Dawgs out of Jefferson, Georgia. He's 6-foot-1, 195 pounds, and his versatility could help him see the field early on. The Dawgs' biggest need will be along the defensive line, but the entire defense is losing quite a bit of production, and Starks might be able to help in the secondary right away if he can catch on early and play multiple positions.

i
4. Texas A&M Aggies

DT Walter Nolen
2022 recruit
ESPN 300 ranking: 1

The staff got transfer quarterback Max Johnson coming from LSU, who will help with quarterback competition and depth if they run into an injury again. The coaches were also able to sign five-star receiver Evan Stewart, who will have a chance to make an impact right away. It's difficult to overlook the No. 1 prospect overall in the 2022 class, though. Nolen is a 6-4, 325-pound defensive tackle who was targeted by nearly every major program in his recruitment. DeMarvin Leal declared for the draft, so there will be a need for additional help on the interior of the line.

i
9. Oklahoma State Cowboys

WR Talyn Shettron
2022 recruit
ESPN 300 ranking: 73

Oklahoma State is losing its leading receiver in Tay Martin, who had 10 of the Pokes' 25 receiving touchdowns this season. Shettron had been committed to Oklahoma, but Oklahoma State was able to flip him and sign him and his brother, tight end Tabry Shettron. Talyn is the No. 73 prospect overall in the class and one of the top receivers overall. The staff does have some young receivers on the roster, but with Martin leaving, there is an opportunity for Shettron to contribute right away.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News