ADVERTISEMENT

This Weekend Wrestling

197: Luke Surber vs Xavier Vasquez

1st: Surber gets 2 takedowns and 2 back points. Leads 6-2 at the end of the 1st.

2nd: Luke gets another TD and leads the 8-3.

3rd: Surber adds several more takedowns wins 17-5.

18-3 OSU

Reactions: CowboyTanker
HWT: Konner Doucet vs. Xavier Doolin

1st: No scores: 0-0

2nd: Doucet gets an escape but not other scores. 1-0

3rd: Dang Doucet is a hammer on top. Rides Doolin the entire period and wins 2-0.

21-3

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Sheets had a small window of a couple weeks before he got hurt where he looked like he was developing into a high AA. He and Taco. Then both just faded away….Sheets gets worse and worse with time.
So what would happen if they told Mastro to go out and just fire away recklessly all match or you’re benched for good. We don’t care how good your defense is for the time being, we just want you to let it fly. I’d like to see that in action. Same thing with Doucet.

125: Zach Blankenship vs Stevo Poulin

1st: Zach gets taken down and ridden. 0-2

2nd: Gives up the reversal and is down 4-0.

3rd: Zach gets ridden the whole period and loses 5-0

I say this in jest but do we not teach our 125lbs how to get off the bottom? How Poulin wrestled is how I'd love to see TM wrestle. Blakenship will learn from this hopefully.

I think John needs to see if we can get more active in the portal and see if we can feel some holes in the lineup at 125 and 165. Freshmen can’t be expected to step in and dominate.

125: Zach Blankenship vs Stevo Poulin

1st: Zach gets taken down and ridden. 0-2

2nd: Gives up the reversal and is down 4-0.

3rd: Zach gets ridden the whole period and loses 5-0
I watched part of the Penn. St. Michigan dual and true freshman Haines beat All American Lewan and redshirt freshman Facundo beat Amine All American. Heck if our freshman beat a guy rated 40 th we celebrate. Their coaching and wrestling is 3 levels ahead of ours. We better get 2 more superstar wrestlers in our 2024 class instead of the 1 I have talked about.

Reactions: bwel9339
I watched part of the Penn. St. Michigan dual and true freshman Haines beat All American Lewan and redshirt freshman Facundo beat Amine All American. Heck if our freshman beat a guy rated 40 th we celebrate. Their coaching and wrestling is 3 levels ahead of ours. We better get 2 more superstar wrestlers in our 2024 class instead of the 1 I have talked about.
You make a good point. I’ll say tho that Haines and Facundo were rated much higher than Blankenship in high school. Facundo also has had a redshirt year.

Weren‘t we in on the child legend Stevo Poulin race awhile back? Did he do any of these moves on Blankenship?

Reactions: NCcowboy
You make a good point. I’ll say tho that Haines and Facundo were rated much higher than Blankenship in high school. Facundo also has had a redshirt year.
How about Jordan Williams or redshirt freshman Voinovich. You are right about Blankenship not being rated high and as 2082 said hopefully Blankenship gets a lot better but boy did he get pounded and I am glad he didn't get a shoulder hurt.

How about Jordan Williams or redshirt freshman Voinovich. You are right about Blankenship not being rated high and as 2082 said hopefully Blankenship gets a lot better but boy did he get pounded and I am glad he didn't get a shoulder hurt.
I thought VV has overall done well so far. Hasn’t been dominant sure but I think he’s shown a lot of potential. As for JW I’ve been disappointed by him so far as well. Hopefully he turns it around.

I thought VV has overall done well so far. Hasn’t been dominant sure but I think he’s shown a lot of potential. As for JW I’ve been disappointed by him so far as well. Hopefully he turns it around.
VV has shown he has all the tools to wrestle at this level, a lot of upside potential. JW has not but could get there.

My first dual in GIA since like… 2008. Awesome atmosphere. I’ve been going to see OSU when they roll through Colorado and UNC’s gym is just so small compared to GIA. Good crowd tonight, good energy, nice to be around fellow fans in person! Shoutout to my dad for loaning me an orange hoodie so I’d fit in instead of wearing the Colorado shirt I packed… whoops lol

Blankenship looked small. Like 4 foot something small. Props to him for taking that beating though. Fix, solid. Carter, predictably beaten by the #1 guy. VV looks good, I have a good feeling about that kid. He’s ripped and fast. G’s match was a ride for sure, glad he got the win after the TD debacle. Sheets, I agree with an earlier poster I hate to pile on the kid because I’m sure it’s tough for him to not achieve his goals. Plott looked good, his opponent pretty much just clubbed him over and over so it was good to see him overcome that and get the win. There was some drama going on before the match, seemed like Perry was trying to help him get out of his head or something. Wittlake practiced his TDs. Surber let his mean streak come out. Doucet is an athlete and when he starts moving his feet more and creating angles he could be tough to handle.

Swear I heard Lee’s voice on an ad between matches, lol

Win or lose these guys are freaking warriors man. Dayum. I’m gonna do some push-ups and go to bed haha

Reactions: GantryZ and tfpoke

Maybe you should just cheer for them . You would have Georgia and Penn State . Front runner Harley.

Maybe you should just cheer for them . You would have Georgia and Penn State . Front runner Harley.
Only problem is there is not 1 team I root less for then Penn. St. I even rooted for Iowa to beat Penn St. the last 4 years. Also I went thru the 40 years between National Championships with Georgia so I have been a Georgia fan since I was a teenager. I remember the recruitment of Hershel Walker. So you would be wrong.

Reactions: Wrassler17
It was nice to see Witlake come out with some fire in his belly and wrestle aggressively. I haven't seen that since his freshman year. .
Something else that seemed strange to me last night, the team looked fresh and wasn't gassing. In years past, January and early February matches were difficult to watch as we wrestled with no energy or gas tanks. Is it possible that John is changing coaching strategies?

It was nice to see Witlake come out with some fire in his belly and wrestle aggressively. I haven't seen that since his freshman year. .
Something else that seemed strange to me last night, the team looked fresh and wasn't gassing. In years past, January and early February matches were difficult to watch as we wrestled with no energy or gas tanks. Is it possible that John is changing coaching strategies?
or perhaps that they wrestled the #44 team who only had one wrestler in the top 30. Let's wait and see how they do next weekend before we get too excited.

Only problem is there is not 1 team I root less for then Penn. St. I even rooted for Iowa to beat Penn St. the last 4 years. Also I went thru the 40 years between National Championships with Georgia so I have been a Georgia fan since I was a teenager. I remember the recruitment of Hershel Walker. So you would be wrong.
Actually how I presented my feelings about Penn. St. last night isn't strong enough, I do not hate them but i have a strong dislike for them ( I won't say hatred). Every match they lose makes my day a little better. Same way I felt about Iowa during those decades I went through being a Cowboy fan when they dominated wrestling. I have never switched teams. I take the pain but I really don't like it. I look for hope that the domination of Penn St. will end. It will be a great day if we end it, and it will be a little better day if someone else ends it. But I can not drink Orange and Black kool aid and not see reality properly. Right now I see 1 bit of hope the 2023 recruiting class and that would increase if we really pick up the pace on the 2024 recruiting class. I am really looking for development of our wrestlers and I don't see near enough of that happening and I blame a chunk of that on the coaches ( I blame individual wrestlers a chunk also). Last night I was hoping to see some vulnerability watching some of the Penn. St. dual. There only vulnerability shown was 125 which I already knew. I thought Haines and Facundo would lose last night to All Americans but they didn't. They have jumped levels since the beginning of the year. My day got worse and to be honest it wasn't that good a day anyway.

or perhaps that they wrestled the #44 team who only had one wrestler in the top 30. Let's wait and see how they do next weekend before we get too excited.
Did I say we were going to win Nationals?

John said that we were changing some things and I hope one of the changes is practice time. They practiced hard for 5 hours the Wednesday before Big 12 tourney last year and we had little effort and endurance at Tulsa.

Reactions: vhsalum
Actually how I presented my feelings about Penn. St. last night isn't strong enough, I do not hate them but i have a strong dislike for them ( I won't say hatred). Every match they lose makes my day a little better. Same way I felt about Iowa during those decades I went through being a Cowboy fan when they dominated wrestling. I have never switched teams. I take the pain but I really don't like it. I look for hope that the domination of Penn St. will end. It will be a great day if we end it, and it will be a little better day if someone else ends it. But I can not drink Orange and Black kool aid and not see reality properly. Right now I see 1 bit of hope the 2023 recruiting class and that would increase if we really pick up the pace on the 2024 recruiting class. I am really looking for development of our wrestlers and I don't see near enough of that happening and I blame a chunk of that on the coaches ( I blame individual wrestlers a chunk also). Last night I was hoping to see some vulnerability watching some of the Penn. St. dual. There only vulnerability shown was 125 which I already knew. I thought Haines and Facundo would lose last night to All Americans but they didn't. They have jumped levels since the beginning of the year. My day got worse and to be honest it wasn't that good a day anyway.
PSU is so far ahead of us In recruiting Hammers , strength and conditioning , RTC and Development that it’s sickening to watch. Hopefully OSU Ad and John wake up soon

Did I say we were going to win Nationals?

John said that we were changing some things and I hope one of the changes is practice time. They practiced hard for 5 hours the Wednesday before Big 12 tourney last year and we had little effort and endurance at Tulsa.
Neither team next week is going to win it or even be close to the podium. It is a chance however for a couple wrestlers to beat a higher ranked opponent.

Announcers said not to be surprised if Wittlake goes back to 165 next year
It would make sense. I thought he would be more aggressive up at 184, but he seems to score less than he did at 165. Makes me think it's a horsepower issue. Unless Messenbrink ends up here, Travis would be the best option at 165.

Announcers said not to be surprised if Wittlake goes back to 165 next year
Said they would not be surprised or heard that we should not be surprised?

Look at Wittlake's body now, id say there's no way he could/would go back to 165. I'd expect to see him in the portal before that happens. The cut to 165 was hurting his performance, 174 would be better but we have a good kid at that weight this year.

It would make sense. I thought he would be more aggressive up at 184, but he seems to score less than he did at 165. Makes me think it's a horsepower issue. Unless Messenbrink ends up here, Travis would be the best option at 165.
Saw an interview with Travis after the Scuffle. Said he has to pick his spots against 184s because they're strong. We saw that against Minny when he got a lock and Salazar easily freed the leg.

174 probably is his best weight. And there's no reason to redshirt Dustin next year - unless - Thompson can somehow make 165 in college. That seems unlikely, but if he really is walking around at 184 on full feed and fully hydrated, it might be a possibility. I'm sure Alex, Chandler & Travis all pulled more.

Reactions: DPJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT