ADVERTISEMENT

The Outsider on HBO

There’s apparently a connection to Mr. Mercedes. I love that show. Do you know what it is? I’ve never read the books.

I looked it up. The connection is Holly Gibney. She was introduced in the Mr. Mercedes series.

Last edited:
I am hooked can't wait for tonight's episode. I read the Mr. Mercedes books and loved them. I didn't care for the TV series as much. I haven't read The Outsider but may read it after this series is over.

Reactions: BluegrassPoke
I am hooked can't wait for tonight's episode. I read the Mr. Mercedes books and loved them. I didn't care for the TV series as much. I haven't read The Outsider but may read it after this series is over.

It’s getting weird.

It's pretty much been great since episode 1. Love all those characters outside the overwrought widow.

Yeah. There was one episode where I had a tough time making the transition from detective mystery to paranormal. Now that I've made that transition, i'm all in.

On a related note, Homeland final season started Sunday.

The episode was fantastic. Mandy Patinkin is just about the best actor on TV and Claire Danes is not far behind. Amazing how they can write a fictional series and you could watch and completely believe it's actual current events.

Reactions: Been Jammin
Didn't realize Homeland is still on. That show lost me after season 2. Drove me crazy that Patinkin's character would always tell Danes what she should do, and then she would do the exact opposite and never get reprimanded for disobeying direct orders.

Didn't realize Homeland is still on. That show lost me after season 2. Drove me crazy that Patinkin's character would always tell Danes what she should do, and then she would do the exact opposite and never get reprimanded for disobeying direct orders.

There was one season, I think Season 3, that was absolutely awful. Outside of that, it's been a great series.

I am really enjoying The Outsider. I do have a couple of things bothering me. One, Jason Bateman's wife. She's annoying. I also don't find it believable that she keeps giving them access to the kids only to get all pissed off every time afterward.

Two, I can't believe Mendelson's character wouldn't be more taken aback by the independent drawings made by his wife and the kid who stole the van. A dude in a hoodie with half of his face all screwed up is pretty unique. Those gripes aside, I really like it.

Thought last night's episode was poor.

Nothing really happened.

In addition, Glory (Maitland's widow) was at her most annoying yet. At this point, do any of us really care that she wants to sue the people who were in charge of her husband when he was killed? Do we care that she feels ostracized and doesn't want to start over in a new town?

The whole thing with Ralph and Alec defied logic. They couldn't reach Holly, so they suddenly feel like they need to find Jack. Why? When they couldn't reach him, they feel that they have to search his apartment...to the point that they decide to pick the lock. They find the apartment covered in blood. They think maybe it is Holly's. Later, they find Holly is safe, but no one ever asks why Jack's blood is all over Jack's apartment. Who beat the shit out of him would seem to be an important question.

Additionally, they got pings on both of their cell phones, but didn't call the authorities, in that area, to stop/find them, because Ralph felt they could "catch up to them". What? What if Jack and Holly were still on the move? They had an hours long head start.

Ralph remembered Jack having some interaction with the detective who is on maternity leave and went to question her. She doesn't tell Ralph about Jack's comments about not wanting to hurt her baby. Why? The whole conversation seemed pointless.

What was the point of Ralph going to see his shrink? Did it change anything at all?

Also, in the last episode, Yul Vasquez was tailing Claude and was suspicious of him because he had been scratched by Maitland. Yet, last night, Claude seems to have just disappeared after quitting his job. What was the point of showing us that Yul was tailing him?

This entire episode felt like one where the writer needs to get characters into a certain place on the chess board,so he/she just creates a bunch of BS events to get them where they needed to be for what is upcoming.

Time to revisit. One to go.

It's still solid, but flimsy writing at times.

Questions about last night's episode...

1). Was it a good idea to send Claude to the chicken place with the lawyer? They know that his doppelganger is out there and hungry. Doesn't his alibi get a bit more flimsy if he is only with 1 other person, and supposedly driving for hours? At least make sure his presence at the chicken place is known to multiple others who can firm up his alibi.

2). The brother telling Claude all the deets seemed like weak writing to me. Might have been better if Claude didn't believe that Cuco could see/hear what Claude does, and Claude wanted to know the deets and eavesdropped on the brother/lawyer.

3). What's up with the DA? Was there another kid killed in the same manner as the kid Maitland supposedly killed, so now the DA knows Maitland was innocent? If so, when did Cuco kill that kid, and why didn't we see it happen? Are there multiple Cuco's? I didn't quite get that part of the story.

Tough crowd.

I see the GOT online criticism spawned a real monster--full-time armchair TV critics.

Your ancestors would wander into the caves after the charcoal craftsmen had done their finest work, and complain about the horns on the bull or the length of the warrior's spear.
giphy.gif

Agreed. Disappointing. Also I think in that situation you’d be doing full body exams on everyone just to make sure no one got scratched.

I don't think it mattered if they were scratched since the evil creature was dead. He could imitate someone he scratched, but once he was dead, they didn't have to worry about doppelgangers of them suddenly appearing.

Explain something to me about the ending. What convinced the DA that Terry Maitland was innocent? Why send him a video of Claude's doppelganger trying to take a kid? Wouldn't he just think Claude was the one who did it?

I don't think it mattered if they were scratched since the evil creature was dead. He could imitate someone he scratched, but once he was dead, they didn't have to worry about doppelgangers of them suddenly appearing.

Explain something to me about the ending. What convinced the DA that Terry Maitland was innocent? Why send him a video of Claude's doppelganger trying to take a kid? Wouldn't he just think Claude was the one who did it?
To show that there's another example of an evil doppelganger, like Terry's.

To show that there's another example of an evil doppelganger, like Terry's.

1). How does that show what you say? It is one video, with no confirmation that Claude had an alibi. (the viewer knows he did, but there is no indication that the DA had that information).

2). Why did Ralph's wife go to Glory and make it clear that she can't say anything about there being an evil doppelganger?

3). They all agreed to make a plan to tell the story of what killed Jack, Howie, Claude's brother, etc, which did not include the evil doppelganger. Ralph even says something like "we all need to get on the same page if we are going to pull this off". Then, they go to the D.A. and make sure he knows about the evil doppelganger in order to get Maitland off. How does that make any sense?

1). How does that show what you say? It is one video, with no confirmation that Claude had an alibi. (the viewer knows he did, but there is no indication that the DA had that information).

2). Why did Ralph's wife go to Glory and make it clear that she can't say anything about there being an evil doppelganger?

3). They all agreed to make a plan to tell the story of what killed Jack, Howie, Claude's brother, etc, which did not include the evil doppelganger. Ralph even says something like "we all need to get on the same page if we are going to pull this off". Then, they go to the D.A. and make sure he knows about the evil doppelganger in order to get Maitland off. How does that make any sense?
source.gif

Is it dead? I mean if a shotgun blast and stalagmite through the chest didn’t kill it would a rock to the head? Why did they do the dramatic mid credit scene if it doesn’t mean anything?

Also, why not just seal off the cave? No need to chase it just let it starve.

Reactions: Been Jammin
Is it dead? I mean if a shotgun blast and stalagmite through the chest didn’t kill it would a rock to the head? Why did they do the dramatic mid credit scene if it doesn’t mean anything?

Also, why not just seal off the cave? No need to chase it just let it starve.

I suppose they laid the groundwork for season 2. I’ll pass. They killed off all of the interesting characters anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT