ADVERTISEMENT

The Flash, Arrow, Gotham and SHIELD

Been Jammin

Jun 27, 2003
I grew up with a voracious appetite for comic books. I haven't read them in years, but have always anticipated new comic book related TV shows/Movies. I caught on to Arrow after the first season was finished, but am now caught up. I have watched Flash and Gotham since the beginning. I am just curious what others think of these shows.

Arrow: It is, obviously, darker than the other 2. It feels like a real comic book in that a lot of the characters seem to die and are reborn (or turn out to have not been dead after all). IMO, this is the best of the 3 DC shows. It is a bit hokey at times, and I don't like that so many people know Arrow's secret identity. I am also to the point that I can do without the flashback scenes. It is starting to feel like they are doing those just because they started out doing them and feel they need to continue. I, also, hate that Ray Palmer is basically Iron Man and not a shrinking hero. Maybe they will rectify that issue. I would like to see him hop a ride on a flying arrow.

Flash: IMO, this is the worst of the 4 shows I listed. My biggest complaint is that it is poorly written. First off, there must be 20+ people who now know that Barry Allen is the flash. Secondly, some of the villains are far more difficult for The Flash to defeat than they should be. I won't go into specific examples. My third complaint about this one has to do with the vaults where they lock up the villains. How do those guys eat or go to the bathroom? Does it seem OK that they are put into solitary confinement in a 4 X 4 room without a trial? Too much of this show just doesn't make sense.

Gotham: The show started off strong, but has started to lose steam. I'm tired of seeing the Penguin v. The Mafia storyline. I don't care much about Fish Mooney either. Bruce Wayne is kind of boring. I think the strength of this show is that it is mainly about Jim Gordon and his police work. It can be a bit dark at times, and I like that aspect. I do like the Riddler storyline, however.

Agents of SHIELD: By far the best of the 4 shows. The first season was mediocre, but the show has gotten much better since Ward turned out to be a traitor rather than just a boring tough guy. I think it will only get better now that Skye is turning into Quake. This show is well-written IMO, and they have finally developed a group of interesting characters that I am interested in. It took a while, but they did it.

Flash is currently my favorite of the three. May I am misremembering but in the comics doesn't the world know he is Barry Allen? I may be confused. I like that they are leaning toward the infinity crisis storyline and I love Harrison Wells. I hope they don't kill off his character. I don't really sweat the confinement thing and I agree that he's kind of weak at times with criminals he should take out rather easily.

The Arrow has tailed off a little for me but if they make him the next Rhas A Gul I will be one ecstatic mofo. I want it to happen. I've always thought the Atom was a ghey superhero so I'm just ready for Palmer to get lost. I'm also sick and tired of the Felicity/Oliver story line. Get over it already.

Gotham I'm enjoying a lot but theres always that little "we are never going to see batman" thing in the back of my mind. Like you I am digging the Riddler story line.

I quit watching Agents of Shield. I need to catch up on it but I just can't get into it for some reason. They lost me early in season 2.

The absolute best show so far has been Daredevil imo. I wish someone would take Batman and really go dark with it. I think Batman could be a huge success on Netflix, Hulu, Starz, or HBO. To an extent I think that network television has taken away from what the Arrow could be. That show could be so much more.

I wish Gotham would have taken more of a Gotham PD route like the Brubaker/Rucka comic run. It does a little but I wish it would go all in.

Arrow and Flash are awful. I realy like Gotham a lot. I haevn't watched Agents of Shield. I'm looking forward to watching Daredevil, and, in the future, Luke Cage.

I didn't like Daredevil. Too slow for me.

I enjoy Flash and Arrow. Neither are perfect, but fun to keep up with. Not happy that Arrow writers are stealing the R'as Al Ghul, Nanda Parbat, and Lazarus pool storylines from Batman. I enjoy Flash because of his positive outlook, which stands in contrast to the way that they try to portray comic characters these days.

I lost interest in Agents of SHIELD, but the show has picked up steam lately. I am really interested in seeing how they tie all of this up at the end of the season. I'll assume they find a way to link the series with the goings on of Age of Ultron Avengers movie.

I watched the 1st couple seasons of Arrow, but haven't paid any attention to this last one.

Watched the 1st three episodes of the Flash, but gave up on it.

Those 2 just didn't do it for me. Don't think I have the same connection to them as I do the Caped Crusader.

Continue to watch Gotham. Dark. And anything to do with Batman I'll watch. Can't wait for BM vs SM.

Watched 1st season of SHIELD, but haven't had a chance to watch the 2nd season. Need to catch up. Have a good friend that does some stuff for Marvel and she did the red carpet at the Ultron premiere recently. She always has good scoop on what is coming next for them.

SHIELD is my favorite also, followed by Arrow. I didn't get into Gotham or Flash. I heard Daredevil is good but only got 10 minutes into the first episode. I plan on binge watching that one weekend.

The Arrow has tailed off a little for me but if they make him the next Rhas A Gul I will be one ecstatic mofo. I want it to happen. I've always thought the Atom was a ghey superhero so I'm just ready for Palmer to get lost. I'm also sick and tired of the Felicity/Oliver story line. Get over it already.

FYI, the original plan was for the rich guy in an armored suit to be Blue Beetle (Ted Kord), but DC stopped the CW from using him, at the last minute, because they had something else planned. Whatever that was, ended up falling through, but they had already started the ball rolling on the Ray Palmer/Atom storyline.

Still, I would be OK with it if they end up heading in the tiny Atom direction.

Gotham is a turd. The last 6 or 7 are on my DVR, and I may never get back around to it. Donal Logue is the only good part.

Agents of SHIELD is okay, but it suffers from time to time from severe slowdowns so they can time up big events to coincide with movies, as they are doing now with Avengers 2. It's certainly much better than it was in season 1, but that season suffered primarily due to waiting around for Captain America 2. I actually thought Agent Carter was pretty awesome, in large part because it was only 8 episodes and could go full-bore on one story. I've already talked about how I love Daredevil.

I like Arrow, but Flash is by far my favorite of the current comic book shows. Barry Allen's identity is a barely kept secret in the comics, so that doesn't bother me. Frankly, keeping the secret from Iris has been a stupid subplot on the show. But the thing I most love is just how happy it is. I don't know why every DC property has to be a frigging grimdark depressfest, but this is the one exception. Cisco, as annoying as I thought he was going to be, is a standout character. He's just so giddy about getting to participate in this world, which is exactly how anyone would be. And I love that they're not afraid to go full comic book-level crazy. They've already introduced time travel and freaking Gorilla Grodd! It's an excellent comic book translation and just a nice breath of fresh air.

Like I said, I like Arrow, but it suffers from CW syndrome more than most of the others. It seems like that show is almost 50% about relationships and will they-won't they-we should-we can't-I love you-I hate you soap opera dreck. I often just find myself wishing it were the Batman show it so obviously wants to be.

I love all these comic properties, but I can't imagine we won't start suffering diminishing returns. No one has mentioned Constantine, another DC show. That looks like it's definitely canceled for next season. We're adding a Supergirl show next year, another Arrow spinoff featuring the Atom (I assume he becomes the actual Atom based on the nanites he was injected with a couple episodes ago) and the Sara Black Canary (Lazarus Pit?), a Teen Titans show, a SHIELD spinoff focusing on Mockingbird and her ex-husband, and maybe another Marvel show that hasn't been confirmed yet. Those are in addition to all the ones currently on plus already-announced Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Defenders shows coming to Netflix.

I've been wondering about the hidden room Dr Wells uses in flash for the future computer. Are the walls a message in braille?

I've been wondering about the hidden room Dr Wells uses in flash for the future computer. Are the walls a message in braille?

Link

Wayne Tech and Queen inc merger in the paper. Very interesting, didn't notice it. Now I have to google that.

Going to get back to this later...

Watched one episode of Flash, season one of Arrow, season one of Agents of SHIELD and the first 9 episodes of DareDevil.

DareDevil is my favorite, followed by AOS. I much prefer the Marvel Universe in general, so no surprise there I suppose.

I'd probably like it bet regardless, but the production value on DD seems by far the highest to me. It's not hokey, the acting is excellent, the characters are well written... At 13 episodes season one has felt like one cohesive piece... Much like an origin movie, but with a lot of story. If Bat Man Begins could have devoted two or three hours to life in the Himilayas and then another 90 minutes each to stuff important characters like Gordon, Fox and Alfred were up to (along with just one believe able female character...) when Bruce wasn't around it would have looked a lot like DareDevil does.

Going to get back to this later...

Watched one episode of Flash, season one of Arrow, season one of Agents of SHIELD and the first 9 episodes of DareDevil.

DareDevil is my favorite, followed by AOS. I much prefer the Marvel Universe in general, so no surprise there I suppose.

I'd probably like it bet regardless, but the production value on DD seems by far the highest to me. It's not hokey, the acting is excellent, the characters are well written... At 13 episodes season one has felt like one cohesive piece... Much like an origin movie, but with a lot of story. If Bat Man Begins could have devoted two or three hours to life in the Himilayas and then another 90 minutes each to stuff important characters like Gordon, Fox and Alfred were up to (along with just one believe able female character...) when Bruce wasn't around it would have looked a lot like DareDevil does.
You need to watch season 2 of AOS
I almost quit the show during season 1, but 2 has been very very good. BTW, I thought Agent Carter was very solid also.

iMO, Arrow may have jumped the shark as season 2 is coming to an end.

You need to watch season 2 of AOS
I almost quit the show during season 1, but 2 has been very very good. BTW, I thought Agent Carter was very solid also.

iMO, Arrow may have jumped the shark as season 2 is coming to an end.

I intend to. I will wait until it hits Netflix this next summer though. Season One was slow in places, and it took me a few episodes to really begin liking Fitz/Simmons, but I really liked Season One. I never liked Ward, despised him actually. I was so happy when that big reveal went down...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT