ADVERTISEMENT

The Cowboy Roundup 1/26/07

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay F

Aug 4, 2004
First are the ground rules. For you new corral members, this is a special feature for subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board (as opposed to a normal story) is because it is the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Cowboy fans. This will only work if everyone helps make it work.

Furthermore, we're serious about this being a Corral-only piece. Everything that is reported in the Cowboy Roundup must stay in the Cowboy Roundup. That's the way this deal works. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this thread.

I will first start off in saying that this year’s signing class has a chance to be one of the best in OSU’s history if they are able to land their few remaining targets.

At this point, the way I see it, there are about eight or nine prospects left that Oklahoma State has a very legitimate shot at securing a commitment before or by the time signing day rolls around. A few of those higher rated prospects in alphabetical order are Dez Bryant, William Cole, Tekerrien Cuba, Adrian Moore, Darnius Moore, Sam Proctor, Co-Eric Riley, and James Thomas. Everybody is wondering about Gerald Jones and I hate to tell you this but I am in the majority and don’t know what, if anything will happen.

Nevertheless, of those listed, five are officially visiting Stillwater this weekend and two officially visited last weekend. Here is how I see things playing out…

At the receiver position, I don’t think there is any doubt that Bryant and Riley are the top two priorities. If the Cowboys were to not get one of those two by the end of the week, then I think you may see them either move on and take a defensive prospect that wants to commit or they may try and bring in Curenski Gilleylen next weekend. You also can put Darnius Moore into that equation but he is more of an athlete and could play defense as well which gives him a higher value than Gilleylen who is solely an offensive prospect. That being said, I don’t think OSU will get Darnius Moore for whatever reason.

Defensively, I do think that the Cowboys will take James Thomas. He was all set to commit to Arkansas but they filled up and now OSU is his top option at this point. He is a very heady and solid player who could use a little more bulk but his instincts at the safety position are undeniable. Outside of Thomas, I feel that the other top target at safety is likely Sam Proctor but that kid is nearly impossible to get a hold of so nobody is really sure where he stands. The word lately is that he really liked his OU visit but that word comes from the OU corner so it may be embellished but it may not. I’ve also heard that he grew up an Oklahoma State fan so that confuses things even more. Nevertheless, Thomas is almost a sure thing if OSU wants him and Proctor is still up in the air and it may be a deal where whoever commits first gets the scholarship.

Other safety prospects include Adrian Moore, Tarence Farmer, Jonathan Clark, and Tekerrien Cuba. I feel Cuba is at the bottom of the list and is a fall back guy if OSU doesn’t get who they want from this weekend. Adrian Moore is the mystery kid from Arkansas that has OSU fans all excited. His film looks amazing and I see him being in a similar position as Keith Toston was last year in that he will come in and get a try at running back but if that doesn’t work they will move him to safety. Tarence Farmer and Jonathan Clark, although Clark not as much, appear to be just kind of waiting in the wings and you hate to have that happen to a kid but it is part of recruiting.

Finally, the one wild-card in all of this is William Cole because OSU has been after him for a while but nothing really ever seemed to materialize from it until this week when he decided to take an official visit to Stillwater. Cole wowed the Midwest with his state championship playoff performance this year and has everybody drooling but ironically enough he has expressed that he would like to play defense in college. I feel that OSU would be willing to oblige if they were to get him and place him at cornerback along with Ryan Broyles. (JF)

I look for there to be about a total of seven more members of the class before it's all said and done. I'll just look at this from a positional perspective, in order of priority.

Safety - Christian Scott, Sam Proctor, Adrian Moore and James Thomas are the priorities here, with guys like Tekerrein Cuba, Tarence Farmer and Darnius Moore as backups. Landing two of the top four should be no problem as "A-Mo" and Thomas look like likely weekend commits.

Wide receiver - Co-Eric Riley and Dez Bryant are the only remaining priorities. If OSU can land both, there will not be another receiver and probably won't be even with just one of the two. As a potential either-way player, Darnius Moore could slide into an open spot somewhere, but he's looking like a long shot in any case.

Cornerback - William Cole is the guy. He may be Perrish Cox all over again - a long term corner prospect that is currently ready to contribute in the return game. Everybody in this part of the country is trying to get in on Cole, so it will be a battle to the very end.

Running back - Gerald Jones is the only player they're still pursuing as a pure RB. As noted above, Adrian Moore would be given an opportunity to play RB at OSU if he desires, but will be filling a safety spot if he commits. OSU still has a shot with Jones of some sort, and Curtis Luper is almost as relentless as Doug Meacham.

Defensive line - I'm reversing a statement I made on the board a few days ago. I do now believe the Cowboys will find a d-lineman to replace Tyrell Higgins. The question is who, and I don't currently even have a list of possibilities. Best guess is someone currently on someone else's commit list.

Offensive line - If OSU can turn Lonnie Edwards, or possibly Mickey Okafor (again), they'd make space. Marquis Franklin is a likely sign-and-place guy, but might not even happen until after signing day.

All other position groups are full.

My prediction for the class finish would be: Adrian Moore, Thomas, Riley and a d-lineman, plus two or three out of Gerald Jones, Cole, Bryant and one o-lineman. The three in the "two or three" scenario would almost have to include Bryant and Frazier, who have work to do to get qualified. Of course, if Jones, Cole and Bryant all want to commit, they'll make space. (JJ)

To finish, here is the latest that we have on the scheduled official visits. Only one for this week is in the air and we noted as such but for now this is the who and the when as of Friday afternoon. Keep your eyes on this list though as it may fluctuate some by tonight if we find out anything new. OSU commitments are in italics.

October 28-29

Jonathan Rush

November 24-25

Graig Cooper
Mickey Okafor
Christian Scott

December 1-2

Postponed due to inclement weather.

December 8-9

Kenny Alexander
Grant Garner
Bret Harris
Ahmad Jones
Richetti Jones
Isaac Madison
Nick Martinez
Marcus Richardson
Tonga Tea

January 12-13

Postponed due to inclement weather.

January 19-20

Hubert Anyiam
Jonathan Clark
Josh Cooper
Damien Davis
Tarence Farmer
Jared Glover
Kendall Hunter
Darnius Moore
Sam Proctor
Woodny Turenne
Wilson Youman

January 26-27

Jamie Blatnick
Ryan Broyles
Dez Bryant
William Cole
Tekerrein Cuba (unconfirmed)
Richetti Jones (unofficial)
Adrian Moore
Co-Eric Riley
James Thomas

February 2-3
This post was edited on 1/26 5:54 PM by Jeff J.if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}
This post was edited on 1/26 10:52 PM by Jay Fif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News