ADVERTISEMENT

The 2022-2023 Line-Up Prediction Thread...

Mastro/ Birdwell
Fix/ Blankenship
Teague will probably be up at 149 contending for a spot.
Montalvo will also be at either 184 or 197 in the two deep. Doucette as the heavy back up.
By challenger I meant someone who could win the spot. Do you think Birdwell has a chance to unseat Mastro? Also, what weight do see Travis Mastro going and his chances of starting?

I’ll play along
125 Mastro redshirt Blankenship
133 Fix (interested to see if he takes another Olympic redshirt in 2024 but I think we get two more years in the orange and black either way)
141 Young (We should hopefully not see him at 61KG from here out)
149 Voinovich (In the streets wrestling a lot I think he’ll be good hopefull big 12 champ if mauller from Mizzou goes 157)
157 Williams or Ferrari (I think they should start whoever is bigger for the weight so they can redshirt after and prepare to replace wittlake at 165)
165 Wittlake (get healthy and he will be top 4 again the weight seems to really clear out after this year)
174 Plott (Stud getting better every day)
184 Haas (hope what has been said on here is true)
197 Ferrari (Get Healthy and do you I’m not judging)
285 Surber (Said it when he beat cam caffey from Michigan state at U23s he’s going to be a big part of #35 the big 12 championships this year was just the tip of the ice berge)

We have a lot of depth from 141 to 157 there are going to be some good problems to have

I truly believe the coaches are going to get #35 if there is no RBY from Penn st I would say we’re the favorites next year but I still think we’re going to be young next year 2024 when will have 2 SRS 5 JRS 2 third year in the program second year in the lineup and a guy coming off redshirt I would even say if we win one by 2024 we could rattle off a couple titles.

By challenger I meant someone who could win the spot. Do you think Birdwell has a chance to unseat Mastro? Also, what weight do see Travis Mastro going and his chances of starting?

I think we're going to see a lot of Birdwell next year.

Reactions: JAY45
Probably the wrestler I have the least grasp on with what weight and how good he is wrestling is Travis Mastrogiavanni. He has hardly wrestled at all in 2 years. The last match I saw him wrestle was who's Number One 2 years ago where the Ohio kid almost killed him ( probably injured his neck and he did default). The summer before I saw him wrestle Facundo who is a 165 and he lost a close 2 out of 3 match for the World Junior team. If he was healthy and his weight was way down it shocks me that he could not overpower Young at 141. I also struggle with seeing Haas being so great because last I saw Haas at junior trials he did not look good to me. But he has had over a year in the room and so he could have jumped a level and will really surprise me next year or in the freestyle season. Hard for me to believe he will be at Keckeisen's level or close.

Probably the wrestler I have the least grasp on with what weight and how good he is wrestling is Travis Mastrogiavanni. He has hardly wrestled at all in 2 years. The last match I saw him wrestle was who's Number One 2 years ago where the Ohio kid almost killed him ( probably injured his neck and he did default). The summer before I saw him wrestle Facundo who is a 165 and he lost a close 2 out of 3 match for the World Junior team. If he was healthy and his weight was way down it shocks me that he could not overpower Young at 141. I also struggle with seeing Haas being so great because last I saw Haas at junior trials he did not look good to me. But he has had over a year in the room and so he could have jumped a level and will really surprise me next year or in the freestyle season. Hard for me to believe he will be at Keckeisen's level or close.
Travis Mastro and Anthony Ferrari are unknowns to me. Neither have wrestled enough last couple of years. That’s why I think it’s a long shot that Anthony starts at 157 next year. I thought I even heard rumblings of him grey shirting. I’m not even sure who is the better of the two between Williams and Ferrari. Williams was wrestling up a weight (or maybe 2) so it’s hard to measure how good he is at his real weight.

It may seem like Anthony Ferrari hasn't wrestled in a long time, but it's actually been less than a year. I'm pretty sure AJ & Dustin missed more time in HS. The last time I saw Anthony was at Junior Nationals. He tech'd the OU guy G just beat in the Big12 finals. And he was beating Ed Scott for most of the match until he gave up a late TD & trap arm gut - Scott just won the ACCs and will be ranked top 5 @ 157 soon.

Harley, Mastro actually wrestled 138 for Blair the year he faced Facundo in the Cadet finals. After the season ended he jumped all the way up to 71 kg.

It may seem like Anthony Ferrari hasn't wrestled in a long time, but it's actually been less than a year. I'm pretty sure AJ & Dustin missed more time in HS. The last time I saw Anthony was at Junior Nationals. He tech'd the OU guy G just beat in the Big12 finals. And he was beating Ed Scott for most of the match until he gave up a late TD & trap arm gut - Scott just won the ACCs and will be ranked top 5 @ 157 soon.

Harley, Mastro actually wrestled 138 for Blair the year he faced Facundo in the Cadet finals. After the season ended he jumped all the way up to 71 kg.
Wrassler I watched that Junior World Trials and was impressed with Anthony and I to have noticed how good Ed Scott is this year. If the shoulder is healed and once he starts lifting weights I think he will be a nice sized 157 by October. He is the guy I think will wrestle 157 next year for the Cowboys. But I have been wrong before.

Interesting that you think Scott would transfer. Nice to have and let some youngsters redshirt.

Where does Cael Hughes fit into this mix in 2 years? Is he going to out grow 125 by his freshman year and be the 133 guy after fix leaves. I'm not sure Trevor Mastro can make 125 his entire career. So when do we redshirt Trevor Mastro and Carter Young, or if at all? There seems to be quite the log jam at 125-157. And we have a couple of guys in Birdwell and Blakenship at around the 125 & 133 lb range who sound like they are going to be pretty impressive. These are good problems to have, but surely if we cant find a weight for Travis Mastro and he cant unseat any starters he might be someone who would look to transfer. The free year and Carter Young transferring really made things complicated. I can see us redshirting Carter Young and starting Travis Mastro at 141 in the 2023-2024 season, but with Wittlake having 2 more years of eligibility at 165 and assuming Anthony Ferrari is the guy at 157 and can hold that weight for 2 years I cant seem to figure out how Jordan Williams is going to fit into the mix with Voinovich at 149, Ferrari at 157 and Wittlake at 165. Until Wittlake graduates and Anthony Ferrari bumps up to 165 then Jordan Williams doesn't start until his Sophomore year.

This is just hypothetical but hear me out...

2022-2023
125) Trevor Mastro (SO)
133) Fix (Rs. JR)
141) Young (SO)
149) Voinoich (Rs. FR) *Backup: Travis Mastro
157) Anthony Ferrari (FR) *RS. Jordan Williams
165) Wittlake (Rs. JR)
174) Plott (SO)
184) Haas (Rs. FR)
197) AJ Ferrari (SO)
HWT) Surber (SO)

2023-2024
125) Birdwell (Rs. SO) or Blankenship (Rs. FR) *RS. Trevor Mastro
133) Fix (Rs. SR)
141) Travis Mastro (Rs. SO) *RS. Carter Young
149) Voinoich (Rs. SO)
157) Anthony Ferrari (FR) *Backup: Jordan Williams
165) Wittlake (Rs. SR)
174) Plott (JR)
184) Haas (Rs. SO)
197) AJ Ferrari (JR)
HWT) Surber (JR)

2024-2025
125) Cael Hughes (Rs. FR)
133) Trevor Mastro (Rs. JR)
141) Carter Young (Rs. JR)
149) Voinovich (Rs. JR)
157) Jordan Williams (Rs. SO)
165) Anthony Ferrari (JR)
174) Plott (SR)
184) Haas (Rs. JR)
197) AJ Ferrari (SR)
HWT) Surber (SR)

On paper it looks to me like our best chance at a NC would be 2024 and 2025 season pending on the development of the young guys. Redshirting Trevor Mastro gives us another good opportunity in 2026 with 5 guys like Anthony, Young, Voinovich and Haas all being Seniors.

Where does Cael Hughes fit into this mix in 2 years? Is he going to out grow 125 by his freshman year and be the 133 guy after fix leaves. I'm not sure Trevor Mastro can make 125 his entire career. So when do we redshirt Trevor Mastro and Carter Young, or if at all? There seems to be quite the log jam at 125-157. And we have a couple of guys in Birdwell and Blakenship at around the 125 & 133 lb range who sound like they are going to be pretty impressive. These are good problems to have, but surely if we cant find a weight for Travis Mastro and he cant unseat any starters he might be someone who would look to transfer. The free year and Carter Young transferring really made things complicated. I can see us redshirting Carter Young and starting Travis Mastro at 141 in the 2023-2024 season, but with Wittlake having 2 more years of eligibility at 165 and assuming Anthony Ferrari is the guy at 157 and can hold that weight for 2 years I cant seem to figure out how Jordan Williams is going to fit into the mix with Voinovich at 149, Ferrari at 157 and Wittlake at 165. Until Wittlake graduates and Anthony Ferrari bumps up to 165 then Jordan Williams doesn't start until his Sophomore year.

2022-2023
125) Trevor Mastro (SO)
133) Fix (Rs. JR)
141) Young (SO)
165) Wittlake (Rs. JR)
174) Plott (SO)
184) Haas (Rs. FR)
197) AJ Ferrari (SO)
HWT) Surber (SO)

2023-2024
133) Fix (Rs. SR)
149) Voinoich (Rs. SO)
165) Wittlake (Rs. SR)
174) Plott (JR)
184) Haas (Rs. SO)
197) AJ Ferrari (JR)
HWT) Surber (JR)

2024-2025
149) Voinovich (Rs. JR)
174) Plott (SR)
184) Haas (Rs. JR)
197) AJ Ferrari (SR)
HWT) Surber (SR)

On paper it looks to me like our best chance at a NC would be 2024 and 2025 season pending on the development of the young guys. Redshirting Trevor Mastro gives us another good opportunity in 2026 with 5 guys like Anthony, Young, Voinovich and Haas all being Seniors.
I would say if Anthony Ferrari goes next year then he’ll prolly redshirt the next year so JW can start and not ride the bench for a year but other than that l like this prediction.

Reactions: Harleycowboy
PSU is going to be awfully tough to beat in 2023.

They will return 2 NC’s (3 if RBY returns) and 2 other finalist contenders along with a bevy of young talent.

They will return 2 NC’s (3 if RBY returns) and 2 other finalist contenders along with a bevy of young talent.
Penn State will always tough. Fortunately the prevailing idea seems to be that he’s done after this year.

2022-2023
125) Trevor Mastro (SO)
133) Fix (Rs. JR)
141) Young (SO)
165) Wittlake (Rs. JR)
174) Plott (SO)
184) Haas (Rs. FR)
197) AJ Ferrari (SO)
HWT) Surber (SO)

2023-2024
133) Fix (Rs. SR)
149) Voinoich (Rs. SO)
165) Wittlake (Rs. SR)
174) Plott (JR)
184) Haas (Rs. SO)
197) AJ Ferrari (JR)
HWT) Surber (JR)

2024-2025
149) Voinovich (Rs. JR)
174) Plott (SR)
184) Haas (Rs. JR)
197) AJ Ferrari (SR)
HWT) Surber (SR)

I think Cael Hughes projects as a 133/141 right now. He'll likely take over for Daton. Blankenship said in an interview that he will go wherever the team needs him, 125 or 133. He'd probably be the 125 if Mastro can't hold the weight. But there are a lot of unknowns weight wise right now.

Conventional thinking seems to be that Anthony Ferrari will get big enough to take over for Wittlake. IDK, I've seen pictures of Anthony & Brayton Lee together, same height & very similar build. He looks like a 157 to me. And college 165s are big. Many wrestled 170 as HS seniors - Wittlake, Chandler Rogers, Marinelli, Kharchla, Facundo. Patrick Kennedy was 182 as a senior and he'll be @ 165 for Iowa next year. Evan Wick is 6'3"! Hopefully Anthony or Jordan Williams hits a growth spurt.

And OSU is going to have 2 NC's and hopefully we can get two of the blue chip guys we have at 125, 141, 149, 157, 165, 174, and 184 to also be finalists contenders and the rest to be R12 or AA finishers.

Penn State will always tough. Fortunately the prevailing idea seems to be that he’s done after this year.

That’s the hope and he did go through senior day activities. Below was an interview right before Big10’s.

Will Bravo-Young return to Penn State next season? Maybe.

Although the senior could come back for a fifth season after the NCAA offered athletes an additional year of eligibility in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, Bravo-Young insists he hasn’t made a decision nor given it much thought.

He has been asked over and over again, however.

“At the end of the day it’s going to be up to me,” Bravo-Young said. “I don’t owe anyone anything. I did my four years here, so play it by ear.”

Honestly no matter what they need to put the best guys on the mat every season. Manage the egos and expectations by letting guys challenge for spots... But no matter what put the best guys out there.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
And OSU is going to have 2 NC's and hopefully we can get two of the blue chip guys we have at 125, 141, 149, 157, 165, 174, and 184 to also be finalists contenders and the rest to be R12 or AA finishers.

I’m hopeful we have 1 returning 2022 NC and hopeful that AJ fully heals and continues to fully focus on college wrestling. Need both those guys leading the charge for 35.

None of the others have yet to show signs they are finalists material but a lot can change in the offseason and into next season.

I’m hopeful we have 1 returning 2022 NC and hopeful that AJ fully heals and continues to fully focus on college wrestling. Need both those guys leading the charge for 35.

None of the others have yet to show signs they are finalists material but a lot can change in the offseason and into next season.

Plott has beaten Starrocci a couple of times. Young beat three national champs last summer.

You're right. And we are always going to fight on this. But I prefer the cup being half full.

Plott has beaten Starrocci a couple of times. Young beat three national champs last summer.

You're right. And we are always going to fight on this. But I prefer the cup being half full.
That was a 100% pre injury healthy shoulder Plott that beat him. Let’s pump the brakes boys and see how the off season goes. We can lose kids just as Easy as we transfer one in.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
That was a 100% pre injury healthy shoulder Plott that beat him. Let’s pump the brakes boys and see how the off season goes. We can lose kids just as Easy as we transfer one in.

Sure but you can't say "Penn State's guys are going to get better" and then just automatically assume that ours won't also get better. You can see major improvements with Mastro and Plott this year. Surber and Young as well got much better throughout the season.

We still have the NCAA tournament next week, so instead of looking towards the summer to see how some guys develop lets see how they preform at nationals. We might be singing a different tune when the seasons over.

Nothing wrong with that. I actually really like Carter’s potential. His performance this year was a little underwhelming after the summer he had but he needs to grow into this weight.

Plott best Starrocci prior to his shoulder injury which is really unfortunate. That kid was a stone cold killer but I’m afraid his injuries have capped his ceiling. Hope I’m wrong.

Nothing wrong with that. I actually really like Carter’s potential. His performance this year was a little underwhelming after the summer he had but he needs to grow into this weight.

Plott best Starrocci prior to his shoulder injury which is really unfortunate. That kid was a stone cold killer but I’m afraid his injuries have capped his ceiling. Hope I’m wrong.
I thought Carter Young should redshirt because he was small and not ready for real good 141 in folkstyle. His senior year Jordan Williams just for that dual went down a weight class and beat Carter. The senior nationals performances by Carter was amazing. However did I think Carter was better than Seth Gross or Tyler Graff. I certainly didn't and consolation round performances are very inconsistent and all his wins were in the consolation bracket for guys who were there to win the senior 61 KG position for our World Team. Again great wins by Carter Young but I took that with a grain of salt and many on this forum didn't. I think Carter will be much better next year and hopefully does well at Nationals and in freestyle this year and spends lots of time in the weight room.
Also Dustin Plott has improved greatly this year but he does not seem to resemble who he was as a junior in high school. He was unbelievable with his takedown leg attacks, he is good on his attacks but he is not unbelievable with getting to his opponents legs. He is very tough and could All American but I don't see Carter Young being an All American candidate this year because the weight class is full of real good wrestlers that are brutes and will overpower him.

Reactions: Wrassler17
I thought Carter Young should redshirt because he was small and not ready for real good 141 in folkstyle. His senior year Jordan Williams just for that dual went down a weight class and beat Carter. The senior nationals performances by Carter was amazing. However did I think Carter was better than Seth Gross or Tyler Graff. I certainly didn't and consolation round performances are very inconsistent and all his wins were in the consolation bracket for guys who were there to win the senior 61 KG position for our World Team. Again great wins by Carter Young but I took that with a grain of salt and many on this forum didn't. I think Carter will be much better next year and hopefully does well at Nationals and in freestyle this year and spends lots of time in the weight room.
Also Dustin Plott has improved greatly this year but he does not seem to resemble who he was as a junior in high school. He was unbelievable with his takedown leg attacks, he is good on his attacks but he is not unbelievable with getting to his opponents legs. He is very tough and could All American but I don't see Carter Young being an All American candidate this year because the weight class is full of real good wrestlers that are brutes and will overpower him.
Carter has Willits 1st rd. I watched him wrestle at Reno, he's pretty tough on top, beat Teague Travis 6-0. I hope Carter chooses neutral.

Some of these young guys are taking their lumps. I’m ready for them to start handing them out. Please find a way for our squad to stay healthy.

New, Partial Roster Posted for 2022-2023...Incoming Freshmen not yet added.

With that in mind (followed by some options for discussion):

125: Trevor Mastrogiovanni, Jr. (3 Year Remaining)
Back-Up: Cooper Birdwell, RS Fr.
Future Contender: Zach Blankenship, Fr.

133: Daton Fix, RS Sr. (2 Years Remaining)
Back-Up: Reece Witcraft, RS Jr.

141: Carter Young, So. (3 Years Reaming/RS Available)
Back-Up: Teague Travis, RS Fr.
Future Contender: Cael Hughes, HS Sr.

149: Victor Voinovich, RS Fr. OR Travis Mastrogiovanni, RS Fr. OR Jordan Williams, Fr.
Back-Up: Daniel Manibog, RS Jr.

157: Wyatt Sheets, Gr. OR Luke Mechler, RS Fr.
Back-Up: Jalin Harper, RS Sr./Chance McLane, RS Jr.

165: Travis Wittlake, RS Sr. (2 Years Remaining)
Back-Up: Jalin Harper, RS Sr./Blake Skidgel, RS Fr.

174: Dustin Plott, Jr. (3 Years Remaining)
Back-Up: Gavin Stika, RS Sr./Trevor Dopps, RS Fr.

184: Kyle Haas, RS Fr.
Back-Up: Gavin Stika, RS Sr.
Future Contender: Brayden Thompson, HS Sr.

197:
Back-Up:
Future Contender: Jersey Robb, HS Sr.

285: Luke Surber, Jr. (3 Years Remaining)
Back-Up: Konner Doucet, RS So.

Options:
  • Haas to 197 and Stika & Dopps compete for 184?
  • Cut Surber to 197 with Doucet at 285?

149: Victor Voinovich, RS Fr. OR Travis Mastrogiovanni, RS Fr. OR Jordan Williams, Fr.

197:
Back-Up:

Options:
Whittlake 184 Hass 197

197:
Back-Up:

Options:
This is nice but you forgot to put Harper at every weight

Reactions: ionel

197:
Back-Up:

Options:
Without big improvement this lineup probably gets us in the top 10. I hope guys have jumped levels but I have not seen it from freestyle results.

I like dropping Surber down to his natural weight of 197 lbs. Hes never going to be a true HWT and likely never weigh over 230ish and even that’s hard for him to maintain. Plus it doesn’t force us to move multiple lower weights around. But, if Haas has trouble cutting to 184 then 197 is for him and we just might have a hole in the lineup at 184 for a year or two.

I think

Haas will be at 197 probably but what makes you think Wittlake will be at 184? That would be jumping 2 weight classes. Plus then who wrestles 165?

There has been plenty of scuttle about TW bumping up. He cuts quite a bit to get to 165. I don’t love it but who knows. He might be more explosive and have better stamina and energy at a more natural weight for him.

I think we will see some incoming transfers soon which will also affect these projections.

There has been plenty of scuttle about TW bumping up. He cuts quite a bit to get to 165. I don’t love it but who knows. He might be more explosive and have better stamina and energy at a more natural weight for him.

I think we will see some incoming transfers soon which will also affect these projections.
I’d buy that. Wittlake has a big upper body frame. If he put some more muscle on his legs he’d probably fit the weight class perfectly. He had such a flaky season before he got hurt it’s hard to remember if he seemed gassed. Looking at his tempo and style he could possibly be better suited for 184. I assume there is a pretty big difference in muscle and power though jumping from 165.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT