ADVERTISEMENT

The 100th bear

CowboyUp

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Austin Tx
A hiker got eaten alive at Yellowstone last week.

In Alaska we spent time with my old friend Bill Sims, the guy who helped Timothy Treadwell--the Grizzly Man--for more than a decade before Timothy and his girlfriend were killed and eaten by a bear at their camp near Hollow Bay in 2003. There's an old saw in bear country about the "100th bear", that one bear that doesn't act like the previous 99 and give way to humans. When you encounter that bear--either be able to outrun who's with you--or kiss your ass goodbye.--Mike Leggett, Austin American-Statesman, 8-23-2015

Last edited:
It's a different experience when you are out there and know the reality is your genus isn't at the top of the food chain.
I'm always a little jacked up when flyfishing Yellowstone or Glacier because of that. I've only had one close call with a bear, but it was fortunately a smaller black bear, who got to within about 40 feet or a little less and then turned around and strolled off taking his sweet time. It still got my attention.....

unless the smell of pee running down my leg scares the shit out of bears, I'm dead...

only way I'm out in bear country, is in a vehicle...

I'm hoping to have one down with my bow and one with my .44 Mag by the end of the month.

Reactions: shortbus
Do it. Cheap tag and good for opportunity hunting. Doing something with the meat is a chore though.

For a hog farmer and cattle rancher, any wild game is a bit of a chore. We have a wild animal cookout eat year so probably can burn through some that way. And there's always someone willing to try a novelty like bear

I've got two commercial 2 HP grinders on the ranch. One for beef, pork, venison, elk, etc. The other is for bear. It's been used once and it will probably never get used again for a bear, but I have to change the blades out after just one critter. The other one is on the second set of blades and I can't tell you the hundreds and hundreds of pounds it's ground up.

I'm paying someone to deal with that greasy mess. A bear is about 99% sausage on four legs with teeth.

I think a lot of game is sort of like Crocadile Dundee's comment. You can eat it, but it tastes like shit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT