ADVERTISEMENT

Telluride CO - looking for feedback

The Duke

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Austin TX
Thinking about a family ski trip next season there...what's the town (restaurants, activities, etc) and skiing (ski school, terrain, etc) offer?

I'm assuming it's fairly quiet there but any info is appreciated, thanks.

Re: Telluride feedback

Originally posted by alabama hank:
the best place i have ever been to to ski
How so? My family needs (mostly) nice greens for the kids and some moderate blues. Service? Lack of crowds? etc?

Re: Telluride feedback

Duke,

I would not recommend it for an "easy" ski resort. It has some good gentle runs, but not many. The intermediate to advanced skier will absolutely love it.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Duke, I learned to ski at Winter Park in Colorado way back in the early 70's and have gone many times since. It is pretty well known for its family friendly skiing... They have a lot of green and moderate blue and then some blue that are steeper but just not too many moguls. They do have some great black runs that are ridiculously steep!! Once you know your way around the mountains you can go to the top a couple of places and ski down for quite a ways without having to get on a lift... We always tried to be the last people on the last lift taking us to the top at the end of the day. We would take our time getting down!

Winter Park is pretty easy to get to from Denver, only about 70 miles, although you have to over Berthoud Pass. They keep it clear unless a blizzard has just hit.

Amtrak has train service through Fraser, which is right next to the town of Winter Park. They use to have a "Ski Train" that went every weekend to Winter Park filled with skiers but they stopped that service a few years ago I think. I have always wanted to fly to Denver and just take the train to Winter Park....and then take shuttles from wherever I decided to stay....not having to worry about cars

A great family place to stay is Snow Mountain Ranch which is now part of the Estes Park system I think. It is only about 10 miles further north on Hwy 40. It used to be a part of YMCA Camp of the Rockies (may still be) and when Jim Bellatti, formerly of the Stillwater New-Press, was the president of the YMCA, the New-Press use to sponsor two large buses each spring break to take Stillwaterites to ski at Winter Park and live at Snow Mountain Ranch......

Snow Mountain Ranch has a lot of activities for kids, indoors and outdoors.....check out the website: snowmountainranch.org
The also have all the rentals you need....downhill, cross-county, snowshoe.... (this was several years ago but I can't believe they don't still have all that)

Telluride is wonderful and so remote....a true mountain town!! But I know it's more of a hardcore skiing area.... I have only been in the summer a couple of times but once was near a weekend right around the Fourth of July.... It was so perfect because there weren't that many people around... It's just too hard to get to. I imagine that same weekend at Vail or Breckenridge and there would have been huge crowds of people... Also, ran into Laura Linney in an art museum there once!!

Have fun wherever you go!

This post was edited on 2/28 8:18 PM by CowboyTanker

Originally posted by CowboyTanker:

winter park: It is pretty well known for its family friendly skiing... They have a lot of green and moderate blue and then some blue that are steeper but just not too many moguls. They do have some great black runs that are ridiculously steep!! Once you know your way around the mountains you can go to the top a couple of places and ski down for quite a ways without having to get on a lift.

Telluride is wonderful and so remote....a true mountain town!! But I know it's more of a hardcore skiing area....

Have fun wherever you go!
i agree 100%

Telluride is awesome

i like purgatory as well

This post was edited on 2/28 8:17 PM by RNGwaddie

As a point of clarification, Snow Mountain Ranch is a YMCA located in Granby (near Winter Park) which is affiliated with the YMCA in Estes Park.

There's a resort near Winter Park that matches what you described Duke. I'll try to look it up in the next day or two, as I think it changed names at some point in the last few years.

I've been to Winter Park a couple of times during the summer and loved it, so I can't speak to its winter ski-ability. I have stayed at the YMCA of the Rockies between Granby and Fraser, and enjoyed it very much. Lots of things to do there.

Just skied there over Christmas and there are plenty of easy, accessible green slopes there. Galloping Goose was our favorite, we did it over and over with the kids(who had never skied before).

The resort is nice, great bars and coffee shops and restaurants. Ski rentals are swamped - better get there early.

I was looking at Galloping Goose on the trail map - is that a cat track or a legit (wider) run?

As far as transportation, assume most fly into Montrose and take a shuttle or private car?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

It's a wide run. You can fly into Montrose or telluride. We drove to Ouray ( 35 minutes from telluride) where my in laws live.

I don't know if you're just set on colorado, or not, but santa Fe is a great place to go with a family. Town is great and the skiing fits a wide skill set. Plus other resorts are an easy drive.

We've spent a lot of time in Santa Fe and may retire there one day, but never skiied there though I'm thinking about it. We went to Park City this year and like the mountain towns.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT