ADVERTISEMENT

Talent

Been Jammin

Jun 27, 2003
There has been a lot of discussion about roster talent this season. Here are some interesting tidbits.

JMW averaged 30.2 minutes per game last season, and has averaged 18.7 minutes per game this season. I think that number is dropping, as he played a lot more in the first few games than he is playing now. He started almost every game last season, and will probably not start, and average less than 12 minutes per game going forward (assuming no injuries to other guards).

I think that says a lot, but here is some other information in regards to minutes per game.

BT last season 30.4 . This season 24.4 (number is lower that it will end up due to him playing limited minutes when returning from injury).
Quion last season 13.1. This season 30.4. There is no doubt that he is a better player as a Sophomore than he was a Freshman. He's probably the only big guard/small forward on the roster, so that is also a part of the reason for his big uptick in minutes.

Last season, Woody played 16.9 minutes per game, and Chris Harris Jr played 13.6 minutes per game.
This season, the guys who have the most similar minutes to those two are Keller at 15.4 and Hicklin at 17.8. I think all of us would rather have Hicklin and Keller in the rotation than those two guys from last season. The talent disparity between the 2 guys from each season is huge.

Last season we had 10 guys averaging more than 10 minutes per game, and the lowest of those was Q at 13.1. The next guy was Kouma at 2.1 mpg. This season, we have only 9 guys averaging more than 10 minutes per game. The lowest is Keller at 15.4. (McBride and Dow are both averaging between 9 and 10 mpg. Miranda is at 7.0.)

If the current trends hold, MB will play mostly 9 guys for the rest of the season. I see JMW dropping out of the primary rotation, with Dow and McBride remaining at the end of the bench. I could see Miranda gaining minutes and Marsh dropping below him in the pecking order, but I'm not as confident in that happening. lMO, McBride and Dow would have likely played more minutes than Harris and Woody if they had been around last season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News