165 Wittlake #6
174 Jojo #1
184 Montalvo #8
197 Geer #1
285 Unseeded

So Joe and G will be making their season debuts

Last edited:
Reactions: osu2082
Track is showing 16 guys registered. Starters plus G, Joe, Golowenski, Bear, Stika & Balmeceda. Don't see Simmons, Putnam or Chance McLane

Track is showing 16 guys registered. Starters plus G, Joe, Golowenski, Bear, Stika & Balmeceda. Don't see Simmons, Putnam or Chance McLane
This is a big tournament for each wrestler but I would really like to see something from Wittlake which indicates he is going to be a very good 65. Seeded 6th must mean he is going up against some very tough wrestlers and gives him a chance to demonstrate all American ability. I think we have a lot of money in Wittlake and if he is just a solid wrestler our team is hurt. Wittlake has yet to get a win for us that shows he is a top wrestler. I hope that it happens this week. He needs to jump a level for this to happen. Montalvo and Witcraft have a chance to jump into the rankings. I am interested in Balmeceda because he is 1 of our young wrestlers who may be important for the future. We have a lot of number 1 seeds.

Just based on my own opinion on what I have seen of Witlake so far I believe he would need to jump more than one level (to put it in Harleyspeake). Everything I have seen so far is a wrestler who was advanced for his age in strength when in High School but he failed to live up to his early success. I hope I am wrong but his seeding may be about right. I am more interested in seeing the wrestlers Harley mentioned above including Witcraft, Balmeceda and Stika. I am also interested in how #1 seeds, G and Joe look after injury and long layoffs. I hope that Pic,Boo and Dakota finish at their #1 seeds.

This is a big tournament for each wrestler but I would really like to see something from Wittlake which indicates he is going to be a very good 65. Seeded 6th must mean he is going up against some very tough wrestlers and gives him a chance to demonstrate all American ability. I think we have a lot of money in Wittlake and if he is just a solid wrestler our team is hurt. Wittlake has yet to get a win for us that shows he is a top wrestler. I hope that it happens this week. He needs to jump a level for this to happen. Montalvo and Witcraft have a chance to jump into the rankings. I am interested in Balmeceda because he is 1 of our young wrestlers who may be important for the future. We have a lot of number 1 seeds.

You might be right but he can only wrestle who is on the schedule and up to this point he has beaten everyone in front of him (including at least one guy who was ranked way ahead of him).

Wittlake is super important to the future but I still think half way through his freshman year is way, way too early to worry about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: osu2082

Harley, FYI, on his radio show a few weeks back, John alluded to the same points about Wittlake.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
So does no Strek mean he is a no go this year?

Seems to point to that conclusion. I guess technically he might not be a student until the start of the second semester which is why he isn’t wrestling with the team yet but that’s just a guess.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
The official brackets are out. Pic at 125 has a pigtail match with C.Fisher of Davison. If he wins he will wrestle T. Frezza of Binghampton in rd. of 32.
At 133 Witcraft has a pigtail match with C.Landers of Chattanooga and if hewins will wrestle B. Kier of Stanford in round of 32.
141 Gfeller v. H. Edwards of Rider in Pigtail round and if he wins will wrestle Martinov of CSUB in rd. of 32,
149 Boo wrestles T.Nation of CU in pigtail and if he wins will wrestle winner of B. Long vs. D. Blankenship.
157 Sheets has a BYE and will wrestle winner of Gudenburr of Citadel v.Skidgel of Navy.
165 Witlake vs. R. Smucker cle.st.and if he wins he will wrestle A. Olmos of Oregon St. in Round of 32.
174 Joe Smith v. M, Reineke FL WC and if he wins in the round of 32 he will wrestle Nicksic of VMI in rd.of 32.
184 Montalvo has a bye and in rd. of 32 will wrestle winner of Janzer Rutgers v. D. Key of NAPS.
197 Geer has a bye and will wrestle winner of McLaughlin v. Johnson in rd. of 32.
285 Austin Harris v. Adelstein VMI in rd. of 32.

G with a 3-0 win in his first match of the season. Balmeceda 14-5 win but ran out of gas badly in the 3rd period to give his opponent 2 takedowns.
Yes, G looked very Rusty but won. Balmeceda seemed to get poked in the eye when he got tired and sloppy. The ref pushed him to wrestle and he was pretty sad at the end. I could be wrong but these 3rd period injuries occur a lot for Balmeceda. I remember this in high school also. He does need to get in better shape.

Yes, G looked very Rusty but won. Balmeceda seemed to get poked in the eye when he got tired and sloppy. The ref pushed him to wrestle and he was pretty sad at the end. I could be wrong but these 3rd period injuries occur a lot for Balmeceda. I remember this in high school also. He does need to get in better shape.
Hone had an 8-0 win in his first match.

Am I the only one who is a little worried about the number of times the skin test issue is coming up and the potential for mischief?

Balmeceda loses 6-4 and got taken down twice. He did not look good or in shape.Shomers won his first match 19-4 TF and Golowenski was pinned at 125.
True. Also I hated how he did not even try to get a takedown in the last 10 seconds and a takedown would have tied the match. Also G looked okay but not good. He almost got thrown to his back at the end of the match but recovered nicely and he ended up with the takedown.

Balmeceda has gassed badly wrestling anywhere from 141 up to 160. Doesn't look like it's fixable to me.

Was hoping to see Chance McLane here. He is a possible longer term answer at 149. Others are Teague Travis, Voinovich, Jordan Williams & Zach Blankenship.

Balmeceda has gassed badly wrestling anywhere from 141 up to 160. Doesn't look like it's fixable to me.

Was hoping to see Chance McLane here. He is a possible longer term answer at 149. Others are Teague Travis, Voinovich, Jordan Williams & Zach Blankenship.
Sheets tf over Scout Skidgel of Navy 18-2. I agree about Balmeceda and referee was about to count danger back points against him in last match when he complained of knee injury.

Sheets tf over Scout Skidgel of Navy 18-2. I agree about Balmeceda and referee was about to count danger back points against him in last match when he complained of knee injury.
Wittlake wins by pin. Looked good his 1st match.

Wittlake wins by pin. Looked good his 1st match.

Agree, nice throw by for the takedown.

There's been a lot of discussion about Wittlake on this board. Here's some more...

Trent Hidlay is in this tournament, he's #2 in the country @ 184. A year and a half ago, Wittlake beat him in the PWC all star event. Wittlake used throw bys, ducks, and ankle picks in that match. He definitely has the skills to be a top guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT