ADVERTISEMENT

So the roster…….

The only reason I could think of anyone to leave is if they wanted to follow Coleman somewhere. But no one knows where Coleman is going to end up.
Now next year there may be a lot of guys leaving because they can't handle things or they get recruited over, but this year it seems like they would want to stay. JMHO

The only reason I could think of anyone to leave is if they wanted to follow Coleman somewhere. But no one knows where Coleman is going to end up.
Now next year there may be a lot of guys leaving because they can't handle things or they get recruited over, but this year it seems like they would want to stay. JMHO
Agreed. What would make anyone leave at this point? The entire wrestling world is eyes on Stillwater.

The talent level WILL upgrade and we will see some people recruited over. It’s the consequence of pursing Banners.

Pure speculation: I'd bet everyone is up for staying and that any names that enter the portal were told they may not be a good fit and would see more opportunities elsewhere. I have a feeling that DT and this staff will be extremely transparent with everyone on what their future looks likes. Just my $0.02

For the new OkSt wrestling fans, would someone be willing to give us a predicted lineup next year with expected finish (e.g. NQ, R12, Placer, Finalist)? Maybe include some key reserves and their accolades? I’d like to get to know my new team. :)

Reactions: Pennstate1985
For the new OkSt wrestling fans, would someone be willing to give us a predicted lineup next year with expected finish (e.g. NQ, R12, Placer, Finalist)? Maybe include some key reserves and their accolades? I’d like to get to know my new team. :)
Hoping they add the Air Force heavyweight and the northern Colorado national champ. Still to be seen though.

125: Troy Spratley - RSSO

133: Cael Hughes - RSFR

141: Tagen Jamison - RSSO. We are also in the running for Andrew Alirez and transfer from northern Colorado who is a national champion.

149: Jordan Williams - RSSO. We also have Carter Young at this weight who started at 141 for 2 years and was a 2 time NCAA qualifier.

157: Teague Travis - RSJR

165: Caleb Fish - SR (transfer from Michigan State)

174 Dean Hamiti - SR (transfer from Wisconsin). We also have Brayden Thompson who started as a true freshman last year and qualified for nationals. He will most likely redshirt though.

184: Dustin Plott - SR

197: Christian Carroll - RSFR. We also have Luke Surber who has is a 3 year starter and has qualified for Nationals all 3 years. However it seems like Carroll will be the starter.

HWT: Konner Doucet - RSSR. We’re in the running for Air Force transfer Wyatt Hendrickson. He is a 2 time all American and is going to announce his commitment on May 20. If he commits here he will start.

Last edited:
Reactions: bwel9339 and mcpat

141: Tagen Jamison - RSSO. We are also in the running for Andrew Alirez and transfer from northern Colorado who is a national champion.

149: Jordan Williams - RSSO. We also have Carter Young at this weight who started at 141 for 2 years and was a 2 time NCAA qualifier.

174 Dean Hamiti - SR (transfer from Wisconsin)

197: Christian Carroll - RSFR. We also have Luke Surber who has is a 3 year starter and has qualified for Nationals all 3 years. However it seems like Carroll will be the starter.

HWT: Konner Doucet - RSSR. We’re in the running for Air Force transfer Wyatt Hendrickson. He is a 2 time all American and is going to announce his commitment on May 20. If he commits here he will start.
I would hope Thompson could be the starter at 65 or 74. Tons of potential hopefully the olympians can bring it out of him.

125- Spratley…I think he was an R12
133- Hughes…u20 champ and I believe was 7-0 in his RS year
141- Jamison…didn’t finish strong, but showed tons of upside. Carter Young probably outgrew this weight.

*the guys here are going to really benefit from Gillman and Fix. Injuries aside, there will be at least 2 AA’s out of these 3 weights.

149- Williams…r12 I believe and is an absolute freak. With DT and crew, this guy may jump a big level. If he could increase his gas tank and keep the same tempo; watch out.

157- Travis…I can’t remember where he exited the tourney, but I think he went 2-2? Hardest worker in the room and he really fits what’s about to happen in the room.

165- Fish…new guy

174- Hamiti…excited to see what he turns into. Already a multiple time AA.

184- Plott…finalist and 3xAA.

197- Carrol…super excited about him. Surber is also here and is somewhat of an enigma.

285- Doucet…hard worker until the whistle blows. He likes to conserve energy for 2.9 periods, 1 OT and Wrestles really hard in 2 OT. Hopefully we pull Hendrickson.

Should be fun to see what DT and crew turn some of these guys into.

It could be interesting to see if any of David’s guys that came thru M2 enter the portal. There are scenarios where neither Kasak or Haines start next year for PSU, although both have a redshirt to use. Both gave up their senior year of high school to train with David at M2. Another name is Zack Ryder, who did the same this past year and will be a freshman for PSU next year.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
If CC takes over 197 and if we don’t get WH then personally I’d prefer to see Luke at HWT (albeit undersize again). KD has a style but I just don’t think he fits the DT philosophy of scoring points.

Personally I think DT’s style and WH style are perfect together. Still curious to see who DT brings in to work with the big boys.

If CC takes over 197 and if we don’t get WH then personally I’d prefer to see Luke at HWT (albeit undersize again). KD has a style but I just don’t think he fits the DT philosophy of scoring points.

Personally I think DT’s style and WH style are perfect together. Still curious to see who DT brings in to work with the big boys.
100% on Surber if no WH

The roster is in place to make a run next year especially if he can get two or three guys added over the summer that add depth and/or can challenge. DT coaches up bonus points and we are in the mix. PSU ages out all their covid year guys this year 24/25 so year 2 for DT I think we take it.

17 guys left or were invited to leave the PSU program within a year of Cael taking over. I don’t expect that many here because you are doing better than PSU in 2009, but there will be attrition. As there needs to be. You can’t allow underperformers to stay and dilute the time the coaches can give to those buying into the program. A reality of collegiate athletics.

174 Dean Hamiti - SR (transfer from Wisconsin). We also have Brayden Thompson who started as a true freshman last year and qualified for nationals. He will most likely redshirt though.

Thank you the info. I'm a very casual fan til now. From this point on I'll be more attentative in regard to wrestling

Thank you the info. I'm a very casual fan til now. From this point on I'll be more attentative in regard to wrestling
Wrestling is a great and ancient sport, and if you talk to those who have wrestled in HS or college (many of us fit into one or both of these two categories), you'll understand our passion. It molds boys into men, and if done correctly, makes leaders out of the men. See Chad Richison as an example. It is a sport where you can't hide your shortcomings. I had plenty, but I learned a lot about myself from wrestling. We are a small but dedicated community. Only three original Olympic sports from 3000 years ago still exist, and wrestling is one.

Last edited:
17 guys left or were invited to leave the PSU program within a year of Cael taking over. I don’t expect that many here because you are doing better than PSU in 2009, but there will be attrition. As there needs to be. You can’t allow underperformers to stay and dilute the time the coaches can give to those buying into the program. A reality of collegiate athletics.
I wonder how many will be red shirted?

I wonder how many will be red shirted?
Hard to tell, but if you guys get Hendrickson and Alirez, the answer is very few. And I expect DT to go all out for those two and field a strong team next year. You won't win the title next year, but it sends a clear message to recruits with a 2nd place finish that OSU is back, and to join OSU to excel. It will be more about messaging than results, although results would be even better.

Hard to tell, but if you guys get Hendrickson and Alirez, the answer is very few. And I expect DT to go all out for those two and field a strong team next year. You won't win the title next year, but it sends a clear message to recruits with a 2nd place finish that OSU is back, and to join OSU to excel. It will be more about messaging than results, although results would be even better.
Yep

Has anyone heard much on Rin Sakamoto? Where does he fit in at? He has a freestyle background, so he has to be ecstatic about this! Does he come in and surprise some people, because not a ton of talk about him in the lineup at all.

Has anyone heard much on Rin Sakamoto? Where does he fit in at? He has a freestyle background, so he has to be ecstatic about this! Does he come in and surprise some people, because not a ton of talk about him in the lineup at all.
He’s projected to redshirt next year. Needs to learn folkstyle and get stronger.

Reactions: bwel9339
I have thought for a long time our 1st chance to challenge Penn. St. would not be this year or next but the year after. I think with Alirez and Hendrickson with our young guys really improving we may be able to keep you in sight, maybe.

I have thought for a long time our 1st chance to challenge Penn. St. would not be this year or next but the year after. I think with Alirez and Hendrickson with our young guys really improving we may be able to keep you in sight, maybe.
Hendrickson would be great for CC and CM to learn from after a year. I know he is going to fulfill his commitment to the Air Force afterwards. But if OK State gets Alirez this year and he stays around at the RTC, that would be great for the program and the incoming and current wrestlers. Definitely looking like a bright future for OK State!

He’ll probably be a 133. If I had to guess Hughes moves up to 141 his sophomore year and then Sakamoto slots in at 133.

To be honest, it won't happen next year. PSU has a chance to have 8 finalists if all pans out (it never does). My prediction is 145-150 points. I can certainly see the following year being closer, but I am actually with you that year 3 is when the rubber hits the road. As you know these things are fluid. The good thing about being older is that I'm less invested in my alma mater and more invested in upcoming wrestlers. It keeps me more honest in my assessment, but still probably slightly blue tinted.

Hendrickson would be great for CC and CM to learn from after a year. I know he is going to fulfill his commitment to the Air Force afterwards. But if OK State gets Alirez this year and he stays around at the RTC, that would be great for the program and the incoming and current wrestlers. Definitely looking like a bright future for OK State!
I think the hook for Alirez is the RTC and not necessarily NIL.

To be honest, it won't happen next year. PSU has a chance to have 8 finalists if all pans out (it never does). My prediction is 145-150 points. I can certainly see the following year being closer, but I am actually with you that year 3 is when the rubber hits the road. As you know these things are fluid. The good thing about being older is that I'm less invested in my alma mater and more invested in upcoming wrestlers. It keeps me more honest in my assessment, but still probably slightly blue tinted.
Fair point. If we land the 2 transfers, could be a fun team race but to your point, will be an uphill battle. However, if we get 2nd in his first year, recruiting will be at all time high here with osu.

PSU’s reign has been all about having multiple champions. 20 points per plus bonus.

All one can do is laugh….and then find a place to cry

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT