ADVERTISEMENT

So it begins libs the civil war now has a powder point.

Have you heard of recycling?

It is very difficult to recycle. I have tons of information about lithium and it is currently a special waste and only haulable (in a diminimus amount) as a manifested placard load.

As a recycler we cannot touch it.

Last edited:

It is very difficult to recycle. I have tons of information about lithium and it is currently a special waste and only haulable (in a diminimus amount) as a manifested placard load.

As a recycler we cannot touch it.
It's not an aluminum can, but it is recyclable.
Companies like li-cycle and Redwood are doing it right now. The problem is there aren't enough batteries at the end of their life right now to achieve the scale necessary for the recycling to be profitable. However by 2030 and certainly by 2050 sourcing lithium from recycled batteries will be cheaper than getting it from the ground. I have seen estimates that range from $5-10/kg cost when the industry reaches scale, compared to $40/kg to buy lithium from a miner.

I am normal in Maine and beloved. I also just brokered a deal with Alexa. Vito and AI join in a sister wife ceremony.

It's not an aluminum can, but it is recyclable.
Companies like li-cycle and Redwood are doing it right now. The problem is there aren't enough batteries at the end of their life right now to achieve the scale necessary for the recycling to be profitable. However by 2030 and certainly by 2050 sourcing lithium from recycled batteries will be cheaper than getting it from the ground. I have seen estimates that range from $5-10/kg cost when the industry reaches scale, compared to $40/kg to buy lithium from a miner.
but they are not. I am in the industry; they are holding to find a more cost-effective way to recycle. The recycled product will cost more than the mined product. It will not be done until it is financially feasible.

Recycling will not be done until they can financially feasible. Companies, and corporations like to make money, not donate.

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
but they are not. I am in the industry; they are holding to find a more cost-effective way to recycle. The recycled product will cost more than the mined product. It will not be done until it is financially feasible.

Recycling will not be done until they can financially feasible. Companies, and corporations like to make money, not donate.
It is a problem of scale. Batteries last 10+ years. How many EVs do you remember seeing on the road in 2013? Minimum scale for a plant is probably 5kt LCE/yr which is about 200,000 Tesla model S or so. And that 200k needs to be geographically concentrated so transport cost is reasonable. So you need about 1 million EVs retiring per year in the US for recycling to pencil out. US EV sales will probably reach about 1 million this year, so the first year lithium recycling will be viable in the US will be 2033 or so. Maybe 2030 in China. The day will come.

Reactions: davidallen
Ok

You are basing your numbers out should and coulds. Like trash recycling. It's more expensive to recycle. It's all about the Benjamin's. Always has been.

Ok

You are basing your numbers out should and coulds. Like trash recycling. It's more expensive to recycle. It's all about the Benjamin's. Always has been.
What about lead batteries or scrap metal? We aren't talking about trash here.

Speaking of Benjamin's (sic) li-cycle has a billion dollar market cap on 13.4m in revenue, because the shoulds and coulds are trivial at scale.

Speaking of Benjamin's (sic) li-cycle has a billion dollar market cap on 13.4m in revenue, because the shoulds and coulds are trivial at scale.b
Believe what you want. It's fiction. A 20 percent yield is not profitable. That is why they researching how to increase yields.

Get 70 in a mfg setting. Small volume recycling in a lab is way different.
Well they have 10 years to work out the kinks before enough batteries need recycling to justify a mfg setting.

What is the breakeven lithium price in your view?

Who is "they"? If you mean legacy recyclers then yeah, they will be late to the party. This is understandable, it is a very different process than aluminum cans. Between repurposing and recycling the battery lifecycle problem is well on its way to be solved.

I did a
Well they have 10 years to work out the kinks before enough batteries need recycling to justify a mfg setting.

What is the breakeven lithium price in your view?
They already have a glut of bad batteries just from the mfg of the autos being produced. sir. This is a current issue that I am working on with a mfg.

Let me help you from stand point of a recycler. If I told you that you could recycle almost 100 percent of styrofoam. Well I ran the largest mrf in the area. They had a styrofoam recycler. It's a cool machine. You put the foam in the top and extrudes it into a pellet. We packed a pellet when they were 80 to 100 lbs. I asked howamy times have they shipped a container of extruded foam to china. They had been doing it for 3 years previous to my arrival. To this day the sea container has never moved. It's been 8 years since I have been there and they are still loading it. It takes 100 yards of styrofoam to make one pellet that weighs 100 lbs est. They paid six figures for the machine and now it will cost them twice as much money than they received.

You can recycle to say you recycle. That's about it because we used more carbon fuel to recycle it than it saved. A lot more.

Who is "they"? If you mean legacy recyclers then yeah, they will be late to the party. This is understandable, it is a very different process than aluminum cans. Between repurposing and recycling the battery lifecycle problem is well on its way to be solved.
Gotcha that is great news as I have the problem now with a mfg and it's not working. Glad to have ty our positive attitude. It's not but you guys know more than I. I just own the business.

It's big investment to recycle items. I recycle asphalt and shingles as well. Do you have some info for me on ras.

I did a

They already have a glut of bad batteries just from the mfg of the autos being produced. sir. This is a current issue that I am working on with a mfg.

Let me help you from stand point of a recycler. If I told you that you could recycle almost 100 percent of styrofoam. Well I ran the largest mrf in the area. They had a styrofoam recycler. It's a cool machine. You put the foam in the top and extrudes it into a pellet. We packed a pellet when they were 80 to 100 lbs. I asked howamy times have they shipped a container of extruded foam to china. They had been doing it for 3 years previous to my arrival. To this day the sea container has never moved. It's been 8 years since I have been there and they are still loading it. It takes 100 yards of styrofoam to make one pellet that weighs 100 lbs est. They paid six figures for the machine and now it will cost them twice as much money than they received.

You can recycle to say you recycle. That's about it because we used more carbon fuel to recycle it than it saved. A lot more.

Thank you for your informative posts; too bad you're responding to a total dumbass.

Gotcha that is great news as I have the problem now with a mfg and it's not working. Glad to have ty our positive attitude. It's not but you guys know more than I. I just own the business.

It's big investment to recycle items. I recycle asphalt and shingles as well. Do you have some info for me on ras.
Those guys at ExxonMobil are morons. They should have called you first. What other electronics do you guys recycle?

Speaking of Benjamin's (sic) li-cycle has a billion dollar market cap on 13.4m in revenue, because the shoulds and coulds are trivial at scale.
Be careful extrapolating current market cap to future value, particularly those driven by a frenzy of believers. That's not worked so well for FTX (32Billion Cap to gone), SpaceX ($15B at peak, down to $1B), etc. This company may be a good investment, and their solution may work. Or it could be the next Solyndra, propped up by government investments that folds as soon that government gravy train runs dry.

Edit: I would also note that 10 Year horizons work great in an environment of 0% interest rates. But is a terrible business model at the current interest rate levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forpetessake
Those guys at ExxonMobil are morons. They should have called you first. What other electronics do you guys recycle?
Again it comes down to a cost benefit analysis. Also battery tech is ever changing. Recycle does not mean free. Most people think recycling is free, it is not it cost more to recycle than to put it in the landfill. Like I said it's all about the Benjamin's.

Again it comes down to a cost benefit analysis. Also battery tech is ever changing. Recycle does not mean free. Most people think recycling is free, it is not it cost more to recycle than to put it in the landfill. Like I said it's all about the Benjamin's.
No doubt people are detached from reality. You see it on this bored every day. The reality is many of the batteries not fit for purpose in an EV have a viable second life as grid storage where discharge rates are lower and overall capacity to weight is less important. This is not just a story of recycling there is a strong reuse component as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Alpha Woke
I did a

Breakeven lithium price?

A single battery mfg doesn't produce enough bad batteries in a year to justify the investment required to recycle them. SCALE!

Is there any possibility that styrofoam and lithium might not be an apples to apples comparison? Like one might be super low density and low value?

The article that OP posted had the find at >4% lithium oxide by weight. In reality most finds are less than 2% by weight and that's the ore, you have to dig up a lot of earth just to get that 2% ore. That 2% then has to go through a concentration process to get it to 6%. Then the 6% concentrate gets on a boat to china, where it gets roasted, acid leached, then processed to remove contamination such as boron iron and magnesium (super difficult to separate from lithium) then treated with sodium hydroxide. The resulting lithium needs to be about 99.9% pure for battery use. This is a profitable process, because it is done at 30,000 tons per years scale.

Reactions: davidallen
Be careful extrapolating current market cap to future value, particularly those driven by a frenzy of believers. That's not worked so well for FTX (32Billion Cap to gone), SpaceX ($15B at peak, down to $1B), etc. This company may be a good investment, and their solution may work. Or it could be the next Solyndra, propped up by government investments that folds as soon that government gravy train runs dry.

Edit: I would also note that 10 Year horizons work great in an environment of 0% interest rates. But is a terrible business model at the current interest rate levels.
This is correct (except the spaceX valuation)

One of the problems with rosy projections on programs like this is they never factor for unintended consequences. There’s a delay in acquiring a key component, maybe some of the technology does not advance as quickly as anticipated, so production has to wait for it to catch up, causing time management crises, MMT inflation jacks expenses way beyond predictions*, there are labor disputes which slow the time frame, cost overruns become critical … the list is endless, but none of it is part of the original prediction. So after cost overruns. time delays, unanticipated increases in costs, yadda, yadda, the project takes twice as long to complete (or longer) and costs twice as much (or more). I think there’s a train track in California that can be used as a typical example.

* A friendly elbow in the ribs for you, @07pilt, my friend!

One of the problems with rosy projections on programs like this is they never factor for unintended consequences. There’s a delay in acquiring a key component, maybe some of the technology does not advance as quickly as anticipated, so production has to wait for it to catch up, causing time management crises, MMT inflation jacks expenses way beyond predictions*, there are labor disputes which slow the time frame, cost overruns become critical … the list is endless, but none of it is part of the original prediction. So after cost overruns. time delays, unanticipated increases in costs, yadda, yadda, the project takes twice as long to complete (or longer) and costs twice as much (or more). I think there’s a train track in California that can be used as a typical example.

* A friendly elbow in the ribs for you, @07pilt, my friend!
This is precisely what happen's to new lithium mines which is why the price of lithium has quadrupled incentivizing the development of a recycling infrastructure. It's the free market Dan, your favorite.

Last edited:
This is precisely what's to new lithium mines which is why the price of lithium has quadrupled incentivizing the development of a recycling infrastructure. It's the free market Dan, your favorite.
If your project is truly free market oriented I’m all for it. But it’s not, and you know it’s not. You make yourself look silly when you say ridiculous things like that.

If your project is truly free market oriented I’m all for it. But it’s not, and you know it’s not. You make yourself look silly when you say ridiculous things like that.
My project?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT