ADVERTISEMENT

Silicon Valley Bank Collapses

• Haha
Reactions: Alpha Woke
I did. All of them. What losses?
Purposely obtuse? The fact you leftist do not understand every penny the government lays it's greedy paws on comes from the American people is astonishing. The FDIC is using the Deposit Insurance Fund to bail out the wealthy, who have more the 250K in these banks. That's a loss no matter how you want to spin it.

Banks pay a fee quarterly to fund the Deposit Insurance fund. Banks in turn charge fees to consumers (American Taxpayers). With the Deposit Insurance Fund paying out billons to these banks there is a loss in the fund. Now the FDIC will raise fees on banks, which in turn will raise fees on consumers. Meaning, yes the tax payers are paying to bail out the politically connected wealthy once again.
Then add in the Federal government will buy current assets from banks at higher values than the open market and the tax payers are taking a double whammy. SMFH you leftist are either completely dishonest are the dumbest people in the planet, neither of which is a good.

Yes there are. Claimants receive the greater of the salvage value or the policy limit. Hope that helps.

Purposely obtuse? The fact you leftist do not understand every penny the government lays it's greedy paws on comes from the American people is astonishing. The FDIC is using the Deposit Insurance Fund to bail out the wealthy, who have more the 250K in these banks. That's a loss no matter how you want to spin it.

Banks pay a fee quarterly to fund the Deposit Insurance fund. Banks in turn charge fees to consumers (American Taxpayers). With the Deposit Insurance Fund paying out billons to these banks there is a loss in the fund. Now the FDIC will raise fees on banks, which in turn will raise fees on consumers. Meaning, yes the tax payers are paying to bail out the politically connected wealthy once again.
Then add in the Federal government will buy current assets from banks at higher values than the open market and the tax payers are taking a double whammy. SMFH you leftist are either completely dishonest are the dumbest people in the planet, neither of which is a good.

David is not particularly dumb so I will go with the "completely dishonest" thesis.

Last edited:
I did. All of them. What losses?

Edit: you deserve something more. When I get a few mins I'll expand on my understanding of the situation.
Any losses incurred by the Deposit Insurance Fund to make all SVB and now SBNY depositers whole. The law stipulates how any losses are recovered. That information is in several statements the Feds have put out.

carry on

squirrel-what-about.gif

Carrion

Reactions: iasooner2000
Another question for you, what is the dollar amount of the uninsured deposits at SVB (and now SBNY) vs. how much money is in the Deposit Insurance Fund?
SVB had approximately 40,000 depositors. The initial total potential liability of the FDIC would have been $10 bln. Of course, the bank will be liquidating the assets of SVB to cover those insured depositors and would only hit the risk pool if the liquidation was below that $10 bln amount. With the announcement that the FDIC would cover all deposits the total risk exposure increased to about $175 billion. Silicon Valley Bank had about $209 billion in assets. IMO, very few dollars will have to come from the risk pool assets of the FDIC to make depositors whole once all the assets are liquidated.

Any losses incurred by the Deposit Insurance Fund to make all SVB and now SBNY depositers whole. The law stipulates how any losses are recovered. That information is in several statements the Feds have put out.
The FDIC collects premiums which are managed as a risk pool. The only "losses" that could occur would be when total payouts exceeded the risk pool assets. That is not the case at SVB.

SVB had approximately 40,000 depositors. The initial total potential liability of the FDIC would have been $10 bln. Of course, the bank will be liquidating the assets of SVB to cover those insured depositors and would only hit the risk pool if the liquidation was below that $10 bln amount. With the announcement that the FDIC would cover all deposits the total risk exposure increased to about $175 billion. Silicon Valley Bank had about $209 billion in assets. IMO, very few dollars will have to come from the risk pool assets of the FDIC to make depositors whole once all the assets are liquidated.
Oh, look! David got his talking points! The bailout is definately not going to be a bailout, and there will be no harm to the general public. It's all good, nothing to see here, the initial panic was for naught, move along.

Do you have homeowners insurance?

December FDIC filings from SVB showed it had $151.6 billion in uninsured deposits.

The FDIC collects premiums which are managed as a risk pool. The only "losses" that could occur would be when total payouts exceeded the risk pool assets. That is not the case at SVB.
Are you confident that SVB's assets will make enough to cover the uninsured deposits? Seems at this point that nobody is very interested in their large portfolio of long term bonds.

Let's say you're wrong and the Deposit Insurance Fund has to pay out $50 billion. Who does the FDIC collect the premiums from and how do those people make the money to pay the premiums to make up that payout?

Are you confident that SVB's assets will make enough to cover the uninsured deposits? Seems at this point that nobody is very interested in their large portfolio of long term bonds.

Let's say you're wrong and the Deposit Insurance Fund has to pay out $50 billion. Who does the FDIC collect the premiums from and how do those people make the money to pay the premiums to make up that payout?
Majority of bonds are sold already. If the liquidation is short $50 bln the existing risk pool is more than ready to cover that gap. I am not at my desk but will post the estimated FDIC risk pool figures if I can find them. Banks pay the insurance premiums to the FDIC.

Honest question: are the estimated $209 billion in assets pre-bank collapse or post? I seem to remember reading when the bank management realized the bank was in trouble and might fail it tried to sell off enough of its assets to cover the shortfall only to realize they didn’t have enough assets. What changed between then and now? Also, what are the assets that are estimated to be worth $209 billion? Why couldn’t the bank just do what the government is proposing without involving the government?

Majority of bonds are sold already. If the liquidation is short $50 bln the existing risk pool is more than ready to cover that gap. I am not at my desk but will post the estimated FDIC risk pool figures if I can find them. Banks pay the insurance premiums to the FDIC.
The Deposit Insurance Fund had approx $128 billion at the end of 2022.

And how do banks make the money to pay the insurance premiums?

The same way they pay their cloud computing bills. They derive income from providing products and services to their customers.
Exactly. So people who participate in the US banking system will be bailing out uninsured deposits if that amount exceeds the sale of assets. Have you seen any predictions on how much cash the sale of assets will raise?

Edit: And we've only been discussing SVB. How does SBNY's failure and their uninsured deposits add to the total?

Last edited:
Exactly. So people who participate in the US banking system will be bailing out uninsured deposits if that amount exceeds the sale of assets. Have you seen any predictions on how much cash the sale of assets will raise?

Edit: And we've only been discussing SVB. How does SBNY's failure and their uninsured deposits add to the total?
That is a very large if.

I haven't spent cycles on SBNY - I'd defer to someone who has more direct knowledge on that closure.

Other than the normal politically connect wealthy Democrats, Dave. Didn't he say he was working several companies that were involved with SVB?
Companies we were invested in had roughly $67 mln on deposit with SVB at closure. They moved all their deposits to other institutions as of Tuesday.

Companies we were invested in had roughly $67 mln on deposit with SVB at closure. They moved all their deposits to other institutions as of Tuesday.
Who pocketed all that cash? Expert? Newtons third law. Think about it. 😂

Last edited:
Lay, Madoff and Stanford all deserved to be shot in the head. Oh wait, two of the three are supposedly dead already. 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Alpha Woke
And here's the biggest issue of all...

The FDIC is set up with the $250k limit for a reason. The FDIC is required to keep the DIF at 1.35% of all deposits. It currently sits at 1.27% thanks to the loose monetary policy during covid. Deposits in excess of $250k either need to be divided across different institutions or the depositor should have a private policy to cover the amount over $250k.

The precedent has now been set that the FDIC limit isn't really a limit at all which is dangerous to the entire deposit insurance program. Sure, it has the backstop of the Fed, but if money has to be "borrowed" to cover DIF losses, taxpayers themselves will be bearing the cost through higher taxes and/or yet more inflation. At some point the wealthy folks who have more than $250k in one bank need to have consequences for their failure to buy private deposit insurance.

LAnd here's the biggest issue of all...

The FDIC is set up with the $250k limit for a reason. The FDIC is required to keep the DIF at 1.35% of all deposits. It currently sits at 1.27% thanks to the loose monetary policy during covid. Deposits in excess of $250k either need to be divided across different institutions or the depositor should have a private policy to cover the amount over $250k.

The precedent has now been set that the FDIC limit isn't really a limit at all which is dangerous to the entire deposit insurance program. Sure, it has the backstop of the Fed, but if money has to be "borrowed" to cover DIF losses, taxpayers themselves will be bearing the cost through higher taxes and/or yet more inflation. At some point the wealthy folks who have more than $250k in one bank need to have consequences for their failure to buy private deposit insurance.
What impact will SVB have on the DIF balance? No law has been changed, the precedent set is one of procedure. When assets exceed liabilities (or reasonably can be estimated to be so) deposits in excess of insured limits will be released. In the past it was only after final reconciliation that funds were released. This new precedent marginally increases risks to the FDIC, to the benefit of consumers and the banking system.

I agree on your point about treasury management. Our two exposed companies had covenants with SVB related to equity investments and lines of credit that created an exclusive banking relationship. No bueno without additional insurance.

I'm a complete noob to this. @Marshal Jim Duncan will at some point educate us all!

What impact will SVB have on the DIF balance? No law has been changed, the precedent set is one of procedure. When assets exceed liabilities (or reasonably can be estimated to be so) deposits in excess of insured limits will be released. In the past it was only after final reconciliation that funds were released. This new precedent marginally increases risks to the FDIC, to the benefit of consumers and the banking system.

I agree on your point about treasury management. Our two exposed companies had covenants with SVB related to equity investments and lines of credit that created an exclusive banking relationship. No bueno without additional insurance.

I'm a complete noob to this. @Marshal Jim Duncan will at some point educate us all!

Seems like this might be important to add into the discussion.

Reactions: CoastGuardCowboy
I wanna believe Dave.

But he’s repeating the same stuff as the TV.

And that bastard has a real tenuous relationship with the whole story.

• Haha
Reactions: davidallen
I wanna believe Dave.

But he’s repeating the same stuff as the TV.

And that bastard has a real tenuous relationship with the whole story.
If we've learned anything over the last few years, the media is untrustworthy and purposely distorts information to keep the people ignorant to the corruption of government.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT