ADVERTISEMENT

See if you depend on the government then they controll your Freedoms

JonnyVito

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Mar 12, 2008
Obama floating a plan to take the guns of those on social security that have a third party pay their bills. That is very lose wording and this is a dangerous slope to start on. What if an older person just has someone they pay like an accountant to pay stuff because they travel around and just don't want to worry about it? What if one of their kids pays some bills for them while they are out traveling around?

In every country where guns are outlawed only the criminal have them why because criminals don't buy guns legally.

When Japan bombed Pearl Harbor one reason they didn't advance then on the mainland is because they knew every American home at the time had a gun.

Guns, Flags, depression aren't the problem it is the system. How about you fix the system before implementing more systems. I am so damn tired of funding this POS.

I mean really how many social security recipients are out there getting in trouble for gun related events???? This is a total waste of tax payer money. How about we take the damn pen away from Obama that is the real threat.

Obama floating a plan to take the guns of those on social security that have a third party pay their bills. That is very lose wording and this is a dangerous slope to start on. What if an older person just has someone they pay like an accountant to pay stuff because they travel around and just don't want to worry about it? What if one of their kids pays some bills for them while they are out traveling around?

In every country where guns are outlawed only the criminal have them why because criminals don't buy guns legally.

When Japan bombed Pearl Harbor one reason they didn't advance then on the mainland is because they knew every American home at the time had a gun.

Guns, Flags, depression aren't the problem it is the system. How about you fix the system before implementing more systems. I am so damn tired of funding this POS.

I mean really how many social security recipients are out there getting in trouble for gun related events???? This is a total waste of tax payer money. How about we take the damn pen away from Obama that is the real threat.
I haven't heard about this one. Link?

I don't have time to find where I first saw the story so I am just linking the Fox News story. If you don't want to go to a Fox link then you will have to research it for your self.

Link

Now I know all the super liberals will say oh have no fear this is for those who shouldn't own guns any way because they are a danger. Yes I under stand the point of this but my point is that it is a very loosely worded like most of Obama ideas. Why not just leave it up to those who take care of their parents to decide if they shouldn't have a fire arm any more? I know when one of my Gramps went through some stuff my dad and uncles went over sat down had a talk with my Gramps and removed the guns from the home. I am so tired of the government thinking they know what is the best for all of us.

Keep in mind that this wouldn't amount to taking people's guns just preventing those not competent to handle their own affairs from purchasing guns at stores. Also these seniors would be able to purchase guns at gun shows.

Though you do make a good point about it not really mattering and picking this fight seems to have limited utility.

I have an 80 year old Grandpa who is still very competent but has some bills that get paid by a third party for him. He lives deep in the woods during summer months so having the ability to pay these is difficult so he just has someone else do it for him so he doesn't miss any thing. With the wording for this he could possibly not be allowed to buy firearms.

How the hell would some liberal government clown with a bad comb over know who should and shouldn't own a weapon anyway! Vito, agree with ya man, total waste of time but the idiot prez and his sycophants (and a near 100% completely useless republican bunch of wieners) really do know better than us right? Was a movie long ago called "Survivors" with Walter Matthau & Robin Williams, one of my favorite movie quotes from it was Robin Williams saying "the only thing worse than law breakers are law makers."
Can't really ever see this get off the ground...what's amazing is that its simply not shameful to bring up and try to implement if given the chance. Good thing the flop eared muslim taught constitutional law huh?

We've been through this BS before.

The law that prevents those who are mentally incapacitated from possessing firearms has been on the books since 1968. (Gun Control Act of 1968) 18 U.S.C. Sec. 922(g)(4) - (g) "It shall be unlawful for any person (to possess a firearm)....(4)who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been committed to a mental institution." (Actually, it had been on the books prior to '68, but was part of the re-codification of prior laws into a single bill.)

You may remember that there was some claims on here, about 3-4 yrs ago now (I think Clayton M posted it) that the VA/Obama Administration was acting to remove firearms from ANY Veteran who was receiving some kind of disability payment. (All of this based on some claim by a self-proclaimed "Professor of Constitutional Law" who wrote an op-ed for some ultra-conservative blog. Turns out that the guy actually taught a single online course through a mail-order, non-accredited "law school" which is no longer in business. Needless to say, his claim was complete BS and misrepresented what was actually occurring by a country mile.)

The reality is that when a person applied for disability from the VA and claimed that they had a mental condition, they were simply given a written warning (letter) that if at their disability hearing, a determination was made that they were not mentally competent they could lose their right to possess firearms. Without an actual hearing consistent with the principles of Due Process and a finding that a veteran was not mentally competent, the Govt could not, and did not act to take away their guns. That is completely consistent with the law as it has existed since 1968 as I cited above. In many of the cases involving veterans, it was often family members who had applied for the benefits and actually sought to have guns removed from homes of people who had Alzheimers or other mental conditions.

This is the identical situation. If you apply for Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid benefits and your claims include a cause of action that is connected to some mental disability, the Govt can use that information (and findings) if you are adjudicated to be "non compos mentis" to deny you continued possession of firearms.

The Govt cannot, and almost certainly will not move to take away guns (just as they have not done with veterans, despite all the fear-mongering at the time) from those who apply or receive Soc Sec Benefits based on a disability claim.

The 1968 Law applies to EVERYONE, no matter what the circumstances or how your mental illness (mental incapacity) is discovered, if you are found to be mentally defective you are subject to having your right to have firearms in your possession or ownership taken away from you. This is hardly anything new.

"This is hardly anything new."

If it is nothing new why do we need a new Presidential executive order, regulation, law however he intends to make this happen?

Reactions: JonnyVito
"This is hardly anything new."

If it is nothing new why do we need a new Presidential executive order, regulation, law however he intends to make this happen?
"The push is intended to bring the Social Security Administration in line with laws regulating who gets reported to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS, which is used to prevent gun sales to felons, drug addicts, immigrants in the country illegally and others."
http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/la-na-gun-law-20150718-story.html#page=1

Mainly because the Social Security Admin hasn't been reporting this information to NICS.

Ok then this chaps my ass even more. So they want to shove more gun restrictions down our throats but aren't even enforcing the laws in place. No excuse for this at all. The politicians only keep making more laws so WE THE PEOPLE think they need to keep their jobs.

They can put restrictions on my ammo when they can enforce the existing laws.

Vito,

This IS about enforcing law already in place, a law that's been in place since 1968.

Vito,

This IS about enforcing law already in place, a law that's been in place since 1968.

Ok then this chaps my ass even more. So they want to shove more gun restrictions down our throats but aren't even enforcing the laws in place. No excuse for this at all. The politicians only keep making more laws so WE THE PEOPLE think they need to keep their jobs.

Please see my above quote about this. Why the hell are they even talking about possible new gun laws or restrictions when they in fact aren't even enforcing the laws. Oh wait to make us respectable gun owners look bad when these wackos like the TN gunman commit a crime or the donkey who shot up the church in SC (which shouldn't have gotten a gun but the surprise surprise they screwed that up also). If this was already a law in place then they just need to enforce the damn law. Why are they even talking about it if it is already a law just go out and do your damn job and enforce the law. This guy is a fame whore who doesn't care about America, the American people or anyone else he just wants his name in a history book.

A lot of people and businesses have their banks pay their bills. Does this mean those people will be prohibited from buying guns? What about athletes, rappers and high net worth people who have their accountants pay their bills?

How the hell would some liberal government clown with a bad comb over know who should and shouldn't own a weapon anyway! Vito, agree with ya man, total waste of time but the idiot prez and his sycophants (and a near 100% completely useless republican bunch of wieners) really do know better than us right? Was a movie long ago called "Survivors" with Walter Matthau & Robin Williams, one of my favorite movie quotes from it was Robin Williams saying "the only thing worse than law breakers are law makers."
Can't really ever see this get off the ground...what's amazing is that its simply not shameful to bring up and try to implement if given the chance. Good thing the flop eared muslim taught constitutional law huh?
Be interesting to see who and what determines a person mentally incapacitated or defective.

It's about passing "common sense" laws with expandable language. Gun control can't be accomplished with sweeping measures, so the new plan is to bleed the 2nd Amendment by establishing databases of gun ownership and foundations for banning ownership. It may not be entirely new but it firms up existing law and data gathering for the next new "common sense" law and so on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT