ADVERTISEMENT

Score and age this buck

Popinski

Starter
Gold Member
Jul 9, 2004
OKC
What do you guys think? He's a regular at one of my feeders.

Buck1-1.jpg

Buck2-1.jpg

Buck3.jpg

Buck4.jpg

This post was edited on 10/23 8:38 PM by Popinski

Big barrell chest, drooping hindsaddle, begining to fill out his mid section. Nice 10 pt. not exceptional in any one area but pretty good in all. 155 typical 10. Would shoot him in a second.

Thanks. My father-in-law almost shot him a couple of days ago with the bow, but he moved in the stand and alerted the buck. I was walking to that stand Saturday at 6:20 AM, and I think he was already feeding there (caught a glimpse with my flashlight).
This post was edited on 10/24 9:10 AM by Popinski

No way that remotely gets to 155. Nice deer but rather either side of 130ish

For comparison sake here is one I have at my feeder and other than with a bow (no bow stand here as it is in open CRP) I was not planning on shooting this one.

buck1-1.jpg

I was thinking low to mid 140s perhaps.... not a lot of deductions, all things considered. Not great mass though. I would guess inside spread to be 18- 19 inches, (so not especially wide), and he's generally got nice tine length, but again, nothing exceptional. Just a great, well balanced deer! I would agree with guessing 4.5 (and possibly still a 3.5 deer, though I'd lean toward a little older). He is not super old or at his maximum yet, and has potential to get better next year, especially if we get some rain early. All that said, I would take him and be very proud... he's a very nice buck! I'd love to see him on one of my cameras!
This post was edited on 10/24 7:58 PM by TexasCowPoke
This post was edited on 10/24 8:02 PM by TexasCowPoke

Dally, very impressive that you would pass up the buck in your picture, I have never had access to land where in any case that wasnt a shooter. On further evaluation the buck may be 145, but I would bet greater than 130. 10 measurable points next to no deductions, better than average width, better than average length, average mass. Both of the bucks pictured have been shooters on every hunt that I have ever been on.

They have to walk to get big. That saying, the only reason I would take this deer is because there is a ton of honyaks around me that would shoot anything that walked. His chances of survival are slim except for the fact that his range in my area is very large.

Here is another picture of him as well as one at my bow stand that I will let walk as well (unless it is within recurve range). If the first buck had the second bucks mass, it would be better.

BTW, most think my buck above would gross around 130.

buck3-1.jpg

IM000040.jpg

Dally, From what I think I'm seeing, the second buck, (which you need to take our of the gene pool! he'll never have much width, I think) only has very slighly more mass. That first buck is definitely a shooter to me. Look at that brisket! He's no youngster. How much better can he get?
3dgrin.gif

The second buck needs to be harvested fo sho. Like I said, I cannot personally envision passing on the first buck. I'm normally pretty good at the scoring game, guess I'm just missing something on this one.

I think the 2nd buck is closely related to this one...
IMG_0001-1.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

3dgrin.gif
Yea, I've shot a couple of his cousins thru the years with those same genetics! Tall and narrow, but had good mass. perhaps the oldest deer I've ever taken looked a lot like that. He had no teeth left at all. Just gums.

Here is a new one that showed up. Someone tell me which of these deer is the better of the two.

buck5.jpg

Tough to tell from that picture but the first buck looks to have more length out into his points than the second. The second may be a tad thicker horned. I think the first buck scores better than the second maybe by as much as 10-15

Muzzleloader This one officially scored. GROSS 144 7/8 CY CURTIS net 137 5/8 .

First impression was 4.5 and 130ish.

The last picture with some natural light involved has me pushing it to maybe 140 gross.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT