Jan 18, 2004
  • Oklahoma State University Logo

land thieves

• DEC 11 (SUN)

at NORMAN MCCASLAND FIELD HOUSE

Reactions: JAY45 and oberebo
?

schedule isn’t on okstate website
OU and SDSU have released their schedules, so you can pencil those dates in for our schedule. I believe all of the Big 10 schedules are released this week so we'll have the dates for the Iowa and Minnesota duals soon as well.

Reactions: jon_osu
OU and SDSU have released their schedules, so you can pencil those dates in for our schedule. I believe all of the Big 10 schedules are released this week so we'll have the dates for the Iowa and Minnesota duals soon as well.
Maybe we’ll get a surprise and get a couple of more Big Ten schools on the schedule.

The only thing that matters is Nationals, but this could be a rough year from a duals perspective. Looking at the lineups, I think we'll be underdogs to Iowa & Mizzou. And then OU, ISU & Lehigh could all get dicey. Throw in Minny if Gable comes back.

John did not get the memo.

Welp. Be prepared for another season of, "what if okiest were healthy?"

Happy to see a couple double headers. Hoping to make it to Stilly for one of those!

Based on the latest Intermat rankings mentioned in the other thread, here are the top 12 (blood round type) guys each weight could see in duals.

125: Lee (#1), McKee (4), Kaylor (7), Cardinale (8), Surtin (12)

133: Ragusin (#8)

141: Woods (#2), Bergeland (3), Alirez (5), Carlson (6), Hart (7), Kazimir (11)

149: Mauller (#5), Murin (8), Abas (10), McDougald (12)

157: Lee (#1), Lewan (2), Humphreys (9)

165: O'Toole (#1), Griffith (2), Carr (3), Amine (5), Hall (8), Ogunsanya (11)

174: Mocco (#10), DeVos (12)

184: Keckeisen (#2), Coleman (5), Munoz (6), Moore (9), Assad (12)

197: Warner (#2), Buchanan (3), Elam (4), Bastida (6), Beard (8), Sloan (12)

285: Parris (#2), Cassioppi (3), Elam (10)

Reactions: PoOsKuE
Thoughts on a few weights that stand out to me...

125 lbs I can see a healthy Mastro going 3-2 with these ranked opponents. Still not sure what we have with Mastro though. If he can get off bottom he might be AA material.

141 lbs This year will be a good test for Carter Young to see how big of a jump he takes. He will have several oppturnities to earn his way into a top 10 ranking. I have a good feeling about him this year... knock on wood.

165 lbs Is stacked and will be the toughest weight this year with 3 previous national champs returning to the weight. Hopefully Sheets will have a good season and do the things he needs to in order to win those close matches.

197 lbs has been a juggernaut in the Big 12 the last few years. Interested to see how Surber looks slimmed down wrestling a different pace and style.

Reactions: DPJ
Thoughts on a few weights that stand out to me...

125 lbs I can see a healthy Mastro going 3-2 with these ranked opponents. Still not sure what we have with Mastro though. If he can get off bottom he might be AA material.

141 lbs This year will be a good test for Carter Young to see how big of a jump he takes. He will have several oppturnities to earn his way into a top 10 ranking. I have a good feeling about him this year... knock on wood.

165 lbs Is stacked and will be the toughest weight this year with 3 previous national champs returning to the weight. Hopefully Sheets will have a good season and do the things he needs to in order to win those close matches.

197 lbs has been a juggernaut in the Big 12 the last few years. Interested to see how Surber looks slimmed down wrestling a different pace and style.
What’s the deal with Mastro. What is causing his struggles on getting out of bottom position. It’s not just him but he is one that stands out on our roster that struggles with that. We have a few that IMO is their biggest weakness is bottom position.

What’s sad about 165 is, a few years ago on ESPN they did this thing where they talked about what school do you think of when you think of a certain weight class. At 165 the answer was OSU. This was shortly after Ringers departure.

What’s the deal with Mastro. What is causing his struggles on getting out of bottom position. It’s not just him but he is one that stands out on our roster that struggles with that. We have a few that IMO is their biggest weakness is bottom position.
Seemed to me he was doing well until the injuries.

Seemed to me he was doing well until the injuries.
I don't recall him consistently getting off bottom in either season. Maybe the first year was freshmanness and the second year was injuries but either way he's been ridden out a lot.

I don't recall him consistently getting off bottom in either season. Maybe the first year was freshmanness and the second year was injuries but either way he's been ridden out a lot.
Iv'e heard before that the will and need to get off bottom should be compared to being held underwater. When you need air you are going to fight like hell and do antying you can to escape and breathe again. Yes, skill and technique help, but IMO it all comes down to heart and mental toughness.

Freshmen typically struggle their first year because they havnet been challeneged a lot physically on that level. There is a big difference in a 18 year old freshman and a 23 year old redshirt senior. Beyond that if a guy is still continuing to struggle bad you have to question if it's heart, injury or maybe a weight cut issue. If the struggles conitue to be a common theme with several guys and they are injury free then you could certinaly make the argument that weight cut could be a issue.

Reactions: turfpoke
He beat McKee, Prata, Manchio, Lane, Teske all tough opponents and all before end of Jan. Who do you think he struggle with pre injuries?

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
He beat McKee, Prata, Manchio, Lane, Teske all tough opponents and all before end of Jan. Who do you think he struggle with pre injuries?
Mastro was ridden out by Teske in that match. He was also ridden out in the duals against Air Force & ISU. All were before the ankle injury which happened in February.

Earlier in the year, John mentioned Mastro having some type of hand/finger injury. Said it was impacting his grip strength and affecting his ability to turn guys while on top. If that's true, it may have also impacted him on bottom when he tried to get hand control.

Mastro was ridden out by Teske in that match. He was also ridden out in the duals against Air Force & ISU. All were before the ankle injury which happened in February.

Earlier in the year, John mentioned Mastro having some type of hand/finger injury. Said it was impacting his grip strength and affecting his ability to turn guys while on top. If that's true, it may have also impacted him on bottom when he tried to get hand control.
Thats why I referenced injuries. I don't recall struggles on bottom before the hand.

Thats why I referenced injuries. I don't recall struggles on bottom before the hand.
You listed Mastro's big wins thru January and asked who he struggled against on bottom, so I answered (including Teske). If you are saying he battled injuries throughout the year, then I agree and that's also what alex1fly posted. The AF dual was mid December. And I recall Mastro being flattened out against Stanford in the first dual of the year in November. He was heading towards a ride out then when he got a favorable stalemate call from the ref. It was the same position as Fix/Suriano.

This is no knock on Trevor. With Montalvo now gone, he's probably my favorite Cowboy on this team. Hope he's healthy and AAs this year.

I don't keep a running tally of everyone's matches, lol. Just an overall impression Trevor is one guy on our squad that when he goes to bottom position I don't know if he'll get out. Not a knock, of course I want him to put all the pieces together and succeed at the highest level.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
You listed Mastro's big wins thru January and asked who he struggled against on bottom, so I answered (including Teske). If you are saying he battled injuries throughout the year, then I agree and that's also what alex1fly posted. The AF dual was mid December. And I recall Mastro being flattened out against Stanford in the first dual of the year in November. He was heading towards a ride out then when he got a favorable stalemate call from the ref. It was the same position as Fix/Suriano.

This is no knock on Trevor. With Montalvo now gone, he's probably my favorite Cowboy on this team. Hope he's healthy and AAs this year.

AF guy slammed him and hurt his ribs in that match.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT