ADVERTISEMENT

RTOC (Sunday)

boyd is proof that some of our wrestlers can jump levels as 2 yrs ago nobody had any expectations and now he wins the rtoc and is probably our most exciting wrestler to watch with the possible exception of A D but he is non stop action.....i am sure the coaches wanted him to get one more takedown there at the end but he dominated the match. congrats to nolan

Originally posted by oberebo:

Nolan Boyd climb in the rankings slightly after pinning Stroh who was #16 while Nolan was #17. He will be hard pressed to stay with Meeks in the finals but if he could he would rise a lot.
what is "a lot"?
This post was edited on 12/21 9:21 PM by RNGwaddie

If you didnt see Boyd's match against Meeks it's worth a subscription to Flo to watch the complete replay they posted. Boyd never gave up even a whiff of his leg to Meeks.That was awesome. He had his first takedown after 15 seconds in the 1st period then rode out Meeks getting a couple of 1 counts along the way. In the 2nd he had him reversed after 20 seconds but gave up an escape with 40 seconds left. Then took him down again with 10 seconds to go. By this time he already had a riding time point locked up He finished with about 4 minutes of RT. In the 3rd he gave up a quick escape to make it 6-2 then scrambled his way to a 4th TD but gave up a quick escape then held off Meeks the rest of the way for an impressive 9-3 win against a quality opponent who I think beat Gabe Dean at the LV Invitational. Im anxious to see what he does at the scuffle.

No reason he can't All American this year and finish top 8 or better for 3 years.

If he was that agressive in his match with Pharr then we win the Minnesota dual 18 - 16.

Is there something about a big dual in front of the visiting crowd that can shut down your offense?
In a tournament he seems to just let it fly. Not giving up a leg was a big difference maker.

Way to go Nolan Boyd! He was barely recruited, but he buys in, every ounce, and does exactly what the coaches want. He's a kid that can really help raise the level in the room.

Also really proud of Dean.

Originally posted by RNGwaddie:

Originally posted by oberebo:

Nolan Boyd climb in the rankings slightly after pinning Stroh who was #16 while Nolan was #17. He will be hard pressed to stay with Meeks in the finals but if he could he would rise a lot.
what is "a lot"?

This post was edited on 12/21 9:21 PM by RNGwaddie
Obviously, I posted this before the finals. I am like Wheeling and watched his finals match in awe. He totally dominated the 6th or 7th rated guy in the country who is an All-American and came down from 197 a year ago. In this toufrnament he trashed both the 16th and the 7th rated wrestler in the country according to flo rankings. By a "lot" I mean he should now be ranked in the top ten and I would be surprised if he is not. If we could infuse Nolan Boyd's attitude and competitiveness in all our wrestlers we would win a national championship this year.

There was both good and bad in this tournament. We started the day not knowing how good we could be at 184 and found out we could be very good. We started the day thinking that at 141 we might have a good answer and found out we did in spades. Dean Heil had at least three and mostly four or more takedowns in every match and definitely dominated his opponent in the finals. Our questions at 141 and 184 have for the most part been answered. At 174 Jordan Rogers has been a mystery this year showing signs of being good and then fading at the end. He came in 4th at this tournament and lost only by a 1-1 score to the eventual champion who was seeded second and then losing to the top seed Gutches in the third place match. Between those two losses he put together 4 very good matches and if he can continue to make improvements he could definitely be a factor in March.

That is the good news coming out of this tournament where we left 4 starters at home. The biggest disappointment in the tournament was the wrestling of Chandler Rogers who I believe will be a super star in the future. He seemed to wrestle uninspired and did not look like the Chandler we have seen in the past. It was a bad debut for him and hopefully it was the excitement of his first major college tournament which affected his wrestling. Time will tell on that. We came into the tournament with everyone thinking and knowing our major hole was at 133 and found that while Brian Crutchmer is not the
answer that we may not have an answer this year. Gary Wayne finished fourth and he is marginally better than Crutchmer at this point but do we want to pull him out of red shirt as a true freshman when both in the big 12 and nationals he could end up not much better than Crutchmer at this point. We have a lot of depth at 141 with Davey Dolan, Mike Magaldo and Dusty Hone representing us well with Dolan 4th and Magaldo fifth and Hone wrestling well. However, none of these wrestlers appear to be able to make the cut to 133. Magaldo beat the #1 seed Cole Mendenhall at this tournament and probably the most polished of the backups at 141 but he is a true freshman. Dolan is a very big 141 pounder coming down from 149 and Hone has grown a lot this year and may eventually grow out of 141.

We gained and lost in this tournament but overall I do not think John would be disappointed. We definitely cemented our spots at 141 and 184 but have big question marks at 133 and 197.

GWH should be starting over Crutchmer. He'll take his lumps but he has an upside. Crutchmer tries hard but he simply is not competitive. I thought Garcia might be a factor at 33 based on his true Fr. year at OU. How was his match going when he defaulted? He did beat the wrestler who ended up besting GWH for 3rd .

C141A, you could be right and I agree with you he has more upside than Crutchmer but at this point in his young career he is only marginally better. The only reason , at least to me, to pull him out of redshirt as a freshman is for the Big 12 and nationals and there certainly is no sure bet that he will qualify at Nationals. Cody Brewer is a two time AA as a RS Junior at 133. Earl Hall is a returning AA albeit at 125 for Iowa State and West Virginia has a good Cory Stainbrook who was a NCAA qualifier last year. We replace Crutchmer with him and we probably will not qualify for the NCAA's anyway. Parents could have changed their mid as could GWH but at one point not too far in the past they did want him to redshirt. John has said he wanted him to redshirt although I am sure John is frustrated and may change his mind on that. Gary Wayne could gain a spot at NCAA if he were to beat one of the above wrestlers but at this point it would not appear the odds are good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT