ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Rosalynn Carter

Was adamantly opposed to her politics but she was a good person. Jimmy will not be far behind but at least he knows he's no longer considered the worst President in modern times. Biden has that distinction.
Yep, her & her husband both were/are good people & stalwart Christians. The Carters are one of but very few politicians who did more good after leaving office then while in office.

RIP Rosalynn.

I remember watching peanut’s inauguration in third grade on a grainy, snowy portable B&W TV that our teacher brought from home. I also remember my dad always talking about “that dumbshit from Georgia”, especially after Iran stormed our embassy. Other than that, the Carters were fairly unremarkable to me. But from what I now know of southern politics, Jimmy must have really had to lie about who he was and what he believed to get elected in Georgia back then.

I remember watching peanut’s inauguration in third grade on a grainy, snowy portable B&W TV that our teacher brought from home. I also remember my dad always talking about “that dumbshit from Georgia”, especially after Iran stormed our embassy. Other than that, the Carters were fairly unremarkable to me. But from what I now know of southern politics, Jimmy must have really had to lie about who he was and what he believed to get elected in Georgia back then.

Let's not forget "Billy Beer". Not sure what happened to my can.

Reactions: iasooner2000
He did lie and it's pretty cool

"But Carter knew he couldn’t get elected in 1970s Georgia as a supporter of civil rights. In fact, he’d tried running for governor four years earlier and lost—to a segregationist. So during his second campaign, he pretended to be a racist. And he pretended hard, criticizing his opponent for saying good things about MLK and repeatedly praising George Wallace, the firebrand white supremacist famous for his thundering declaration that he wanted “segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever.”

This strategy of fake racism was so successful that Carter won the endorsement not only of the outgoing governor Lester Maddox—the guy who had beat him four years earlier—but also of the White Citizens Council, a full-on white supremacist group that had been formed during the backlash to Brown v. Board of Education1. Carter—now known for his genial, grandfatherly demeanor—was, in 1970, so cunning and manipulative that he successfully convinced most of Georgia’s most prominent racists that he was on their side.

The charade was, of course, all for the greater good. In his inauguration speech, Carter did a full 180, announcing that “the era of racial discrimination in Georgia is over”—to audible gasps in the crowd. Maddox fumed, and angrily denounced the new governor as a traitor, but as far as I can tell, Carter never expressed any second thoughts about his disingenuous behavior during the campaign."

He did lie and it's pretty cool

"But Carter knew he couldn’t get elected in 1970s Georgia as a supporter of civil rights. In fact, he’d tried running for governor four years earlier and lost—to a segregationist. So during his second campaign, he pretended to be a racist. And he pretended hard, criticizing his opponent for saying good things about MLK and repeatedly praising George Wallace, the firebrand white supremacist famous for his thundering declaration that he wanted “segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever.”

This strategy of fake racism was so successful that Carter won the endorsement not only of the outgoing governor Lester Maddox—the guy who had beat him four years earlier—but also of the White Citizens Council, a full-on white supremacist group that had been formed during the backlash to Brown v. Board of Education1. Carter—now known for his genial, grandfatherly demeanor—was, in 1970, so cunning and manipulative that he successfully convinced most of Georgia’s most prominent racists that he was on their side.

The charade was, of course, all for the greater good. In his inauguration speech, Carter did a full 180, announcing that “the era of racial discrimination in Georgia is over”—to audible gasps in the crowd. Maddox fumed, and angrily denounced the new governor as a traitor, but as far as I can tell, Carter never expressed any second thoughts about his disingenuous behavior during the campaign."
No such thing as “pretending to be a racist”. If it talks like a duck …..

Lester Maddox, who defeated Carter in the 1966 election for governor of Georgia, was a restaurant owner who sold his restaurant in 1965 to avoid having to integrate the restaurant. He gained so much popularity from that from segregationists that he won the election for governor in 1966. Carter was then elected in 1970 and Maddox served as his Lt. Governor.

I hope Carter makes it to next October so he can be the first president to live to be 100. But now that Rosalynn is gone, I doubt he makes it.
Yea it seems like with couples that have been married forever when one dies the other dies within a few weeks. Just happened with my Daughter in Laws grandparents. They had been marred something like 65 years, she died then two weeks later he died.

Was adamantly opposed to her politics but she was a good person. Jimmy will not be far behind but at least he knows he's no longer considered the worst President in modern times. Biden has that distinction.
Biden has really helped Carter out. Sure he thought no way someone can beat me out for worst president. Biden said hold……my…….you…….know……the thing.

Yea it seems like with couples that have been married forever when one dies the other dies within a few weeks. Just happened with my Daughter in Laws grandparents. They had been marred something like 65 years, she died then two weeks later he died.
My best bud who's 66 just lost his wife of 47 years 6 months ago. She took a lot of him with her. I spend more time with him these days.

Graduated OSU right at the end of the Carter Presidency. He was no doubt, up to that time, the most incompetent President, outside of maybe Andrew Johnson, in history. The economy and job market was in shambles when he left office and we were a laughing stock around the world for having an idiot like him for President.

To this day just the sound of his voice makes me want to vomit.

The guy where stuck with now is worse, how is this possible? There are a lot of morons who vote now days, some of them don't even know they voted.

Last edited:
Graduated OSU right at the end of the Carter Presidency. He was no doubt, up to that time, the most incompetent President, outside of maybe Andrew Johnson, in history. The economy and job market was in shambles when he left office and we were a laughing stock around the world for having an idiot like him for President.

To this day just the sound of his voice makes me want to vomit.

The guy where stuck with now is worse, how is this possible? There are a lot of morons who vote now days, some of them don't even know they voted.
My fondest memory of Jimmy Carter.

• Love
Reactions: 2012Bearcat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT