ADVERTISEMENT

Replacing Attic Insulation

Been Jammin

Jun 27, 2003
So, apparently I have a rodent issue in one of my 3 attics. As of now, the plan is to have an exterminator company perform an "exclusion", where they locate all potential points of entry for rodents, and fill them up/place screens over them to keep rodents out. Then, I have to have a company vacuum out all of the current insulation/rodent droppings/rodents. Then, the insulation has to be replaced. Anyone been through this, or something similar before?

The company that has bid the job wants to blow in cellulose insulation, which I think is a solid option. However, after doing some research, I think it would be smarter (although a lot more costly) to apply foam insulation to the underside of the roof. This would make it easier on my AC/heating units, which are located in the attic, and prevent issues with my ducts, which are also in the attic. This would also help to keep out rodents/insects and remove the possibility of them having a layer cellulose to live in should they get into the attic in the future.

Anyone have any advice as to any of this? How would you go about finding the best company to do the job? (Live in North Dallas, BTW).

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend the spray foam if at all possible. We have six inches in all exterior walls and 11 inches in the roof (which is also the ceiling in most of the house). Tight as a drum.

Ours was new construction, though. You'll just about have to offer combat pay for someone to get up in there with a suit and oxygen mask to do it in a finished home, but there are scores of businesses that do just that in DFW.

I had my fiberglass insulation sucked out and had the roof foamed. I love it. I use foam in the bigger houses I build.

You will have a few things to address. Over the porches and garage you will have to have a wall built to foam. You could foam the ceilings of those 2 but it will cost more than walling off the areas. Then you will have to install an exterior door in the attic to get into the conditioned area of your attic. Also I build a dummy door that's foamed and screwed on so I can access the area not foamed.

Retro fitting inst easy but it's worth it if you are staying in the house for 5+ years. The appraisers don't give near the cost on a sale so be aware of that. Depending on the size of your home it will cost $7k+. I think you can still get a $1500 tax credit from the Feds on either upgrade.

Go at least an R38 if you use cellulose. Some swear by that stuff. I still like fiberglass.

If you chose to go back with blown insulation, make sure all the hot walls have a backing of 1/2" or thicker foam board. A hot wall is where the ceiling heights change in the attic. Some just batt that area against the sheetrock. If you have them encapsulate the batt and seal the area with foam, it will make a big difference if a blower door test is done.

I'd have a liscense energy star inspector come by and make reccommendations. It will be worth it and have him do a inspection after the work is completed and do a blower door test. I do that on every house I build.

Why do you need to vacuum out the insulation and rodent droppings? We had roof rats in ours and the company never mentioned anything like that. Maybe it has to do with the severity?

The easy answer to your question would be...because my wife is freaking out that rodents are going to get from the attic into the house, and that we will become ill from diseases that they carry spreading into the part of the house we live in.

The more convoluted answer would be that there appears to be a lot of them living up there and how else are you going to be sure you are rid of them? You can set traps, but do you want dead, decomposing rats in your attic? Can you be sure that some of them won't survive traps/poisoning (I read Mrs Frisby and the the Rats of NIMH...some of those suckers are damn smart). Rodents do carry disease that is transmissible to humans (the biggest culprit is Leptospira). If they are urinating up in the attic, it can't be ruled out that someone down below might get exposed to their urine, somehow. Then there is the concern about them chewing through electrical wires, phone lines, etc.

The bottom line is that vacuuming everything out is the only way to be sure that the problem is resolved and increases the chances that it will stay resolved.

p.s. thanks for the useful info boxter!

Recently moved into a new home with foam insulation and I can tell you that my first energy bill made me smile. My house cools and heats much more efficiently.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Im fairly certain that most homes in Dallas get roof rats in the winter. We had them and I just set the traps every year. Just put peanut butter on them. They never got in the house.

The second thing I would do is whatever Boxter says.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT