ADVERTISEMENT

Refrigerator

Inky29

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2001
After 18 years of service it seems like my fridge is ready to head out to the garage to live out it's days cooling beverages and freezing meat. Anyone have any recommendations for manufactures of fridges?

I'd take my time. 'Friges have loads of features now and lots of new players -- Samsung, LG, etc.

We have two Sub-Zeros no one has touched in 15 years. Knock on wood.

My daughter just bought one. I'll find out what brand. Something with the shelves physically broke and the cooling went out the first week. The serviceman laughed and told them, "Nobody builds these things to last for 20 years any more."

Which reminds me, if you know a service guy you trust, they are excellent sources on these kinds of purchases.

All I know is we have a pretty new (maybe 5-6 years old) Whirlpool (mid to high end of their range) and it sucks. We're getting ready to do a total kitchen remodel in the early fall and we'll definitely send that baby packing.

We have one of the newer LGs and can't say I'd immediately buy the same brand again. I think I've broken all of the plastic drawers in the first couple of months (I smoke a lot of briskets and pork shoulder in full disclosure)

The plastic in the ice bin has also broken and has had to be replaced two or three times at $155 a pop for something that is clearly a design flaw.

Filters aren't very easy to find either and seem to cost double the competition

Have a Kitchenaid and it has been great for several years. Buy one from an old fashioned appliance center (not big box, lowes, CC, etc). Look heavy at warranties and talk to the salesman about repairs and who does it.

Lowes sells a crapload of Samsung units, however, when we were shopping we found out from multiple sources that not anyone is allowed to touch repair/warranty work. The closest service guy was many miles away.

I have a 10 year old kenmore side by side that i believe was made by whirlpool. Not a single problem.

We are getting a 4ft counter depth Samsung for the new house. The cheapest price by far was an online place in Missouri called goedeckers.

After 18 years of service it seems like my fridge is ready to head out to the garage to live out it's days cooling beverages and freezing meat. Anyone have any recommendations for manufactures of fridges?
Had to replace our 23 yr old Amana a couple of months ago. Bought a Whirlpool 22 cu ft with the bottom freezer. (love it because we were tired of bending over and squatting to load and find things) We thought about the water dispenser but didn't want to take up space with it.

Some friends bought a big Samsung a few years ago and they're always buying ice because the ice maker is extremely slow.

I have a 10 year old kenmore side by side that i believe was made by whirlpool. Not a single problem.

We are getting a 4ft counter depth Samsung for the new house. The cheapest price by far was an online place in Missouri called goedeckers.

Whirlpool doesn't make Kenmore any more.

I've had a maytag for 5 years and have really liked it, especially the "milk container" which is big enough for 2 1 gallon milk jugs (in my case 1 milk and 1 tea) in a closed space and it pumps cold air in it so you have ice cold milk (if you set it too low it will freeze it).

Saying that I just had my ice maker stop working, but as far as plastic breaking or shelves breaking I have not had any of those issues with it.

Well I'm leaning towards LG, primarily because one of their repairmen lives two houses down from me so repairs should be fairly easy to get set up. It is disheartening to hear so many folks talk about how they don't last like they used to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT