ADVERTISEMENT

Recurve bows

panhndlpoke

Heisman Candidate
Sep 6, 2006
So I bought a recurve bow the other day and have been practicing a lot lately. It's a cheap Martin Poplar 29# @ 28", 66" AMO. The kicker is it is left handed. I am left handed and left eye dominant, but I've shot everything right handed all my life. I'll probably never get good enough to do much with it, but I'm enjoying the process. Might try to kill a turkey later this year.

If you've ever given traditional a thought, do it. You'll be glad you did.

I can't think of anyone that has gone traditional and not loved it. Better instinctive shooters for sure, which makes for quicker shots.

My kind of thread! Glad to know your enjoying it Panhandle.The only time I've seen someone not love traditional archery is when their bow and arrows were mismatched (way out of tune), and nothing flew well for them.... they gave up and went back to their tried and true (and set up by the shop) compound. Instinctive, quick as you wish, good exercise, just fun. Magical feeling when it finally just starts flying to where you are looking. It's great fun to shoot them in 3D events or courses. I shot bullfrogs on the pond with mine last summer. Some love them for shooting fish. Not to mention big and small game. I now only bring my compound as a backup bow when I'm deer hunting. Just love it. And they are beautiful.

It's a Robertson Stykbow Fatal Styk. 60" 43#@28". It's a lefty and I'm very much still learning, but if you were 15 yards away, I could probably hit you if you held real still.

Panhandle, that is a gorgeous bow with beautiful woods. The real craftsmanship in that bow is obvious and a beautiful design, lots of unique wood features, like the tips. Wow.
I've never seen a Robertson in person. He's got a great rep with his bows.

review-of-samick-sage-bow.png

I introduce to you the best recurve that $140 will buy. Thank me later

review-of-samick-sage-bow.png

I introduce to you the best recurve that $140 will buy. Thank me later

I'm very familiar with the Sage. I've made an offer on a used Hoyt Tuburon. If I don't get that bought, I'm going to buy something in an ILF riser, probably. I want two bows to practice with. Either that or buy another set of limbs for the Robertson. They take 2-3 months so I'm hesitating on those but man I love that bow. I just can't shoot it long before needing a rest. If I got a set of 33# limbs, I could practice all I wanted.

If I remember right, that Robertson is very efficient and quick, so at 43 lbs, it would definitely kill a deer with a well placed shot. Just can't get over how pretty she is.

Dally, that Samick is the one I refer beginners to as the best for the money, and I've seen quite a number of them being used at shoots and at McAlester.
I'm thinking about picking one up as a back-up bow when hunting Colorado next year.

Reactions: panhndlpoke
If I remember right, that Robertson is very efficient and quick, so at 43 lbs, it would definitely kill a deer with a well placed shot. Just can't get over how pretty she is.

Dally, that Samick is the one I refer beginners to as the best for the money, and I've seen quite a number of them being used at shoots and at McAlester.
I'm thinking about picking one up as a back-up bow when hunting Colorado next year.

They're pretty efficient bows. I have a shooting range in the basement of my office and hide down there and shoot, but I'd like to have a bow at my house, as well. Then I could leave one in town and one at home. If I just get a 2nd set of limbs, then I'll need to break it down on the weekend. Or if I want to shoot after work, at the end of the day. It seems a little busy to have to do that every day so I thought I might get a 2nd bow. Hell, I might get a 2nd bow AND new limbs.

And while I currently do have 2 bows, I really don't like the grip on the Martin which means I don't much care for the bow since its a wood riser.

I bought mine to use at Mcalester and it didn't disappoint on its maiden voyage taking a doe from ten yards.

So my offer was rejected on the Hoyt Tiburon and I ordered a 33# set of limbs for the Robertson. Those will be finished in May or June probably.

I'm still going to probably buy another bow but I haven't decided on what. The problem is that most places don't have trad stuff and they don't have lefty trad stuff for me to test shoot. I could buy used ILF stuff off the internet but it's still a crap shoot.

I've sold $1800 worth of old RC equipment and still have quite a lot left to sell so I won't be spending any extra money to buy a new bow and the limbs I've already ordered.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT