The Vengeance trilogy from Korea
Everything Terry Gilliam...especially Brazil
I saw the Devil

Lawerence of Arabia
The Man Who Would Be King
The Blues Brothers
Friday
Dances With Wolves

I would imagine this list would change on a daily basis for me.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
No love for Die Hard yet, ITT

Buddy of mine brought it up and I thought it was one I wanted on my list.

Semi-controversial opinion: I think Shawshank is pretty overrated. Certainly not a bad movie, but I have never gotten the love for it.
I think it’s a little overrated personally, but a VERY good movie. Since you started — I am really surprised at the number of people listing Dances With Wolves. I found that to be one of the dullest movies I ever saw, so much so that we used to refer to it as Snoozes With Wolves or Dozed Off...

I think it’s a little overrated personally, but a VERY good movie. Since you started — I am really surprised at the number of people listing Dances With Wolves. I found that to be one of the dullest movies I ever saw, so much so that we used to refer to it as Snoozes With Wolves or Dozed Off...
And it’s all subjective to a very large degree obviously. Not criticizing anyone’s views.

I am exactly the same way with Dances with Wolves. For the longest time I thought that maybe I saw it when I was too young or that I just missed some subtext. Watched it again recently and it just did nothing for me.

I love Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman, so my opinion may be a little skewed for Shawshank. But, I read the book and thought, unlike other movie adaptations, at least did it a little justice (pun only slightly intended).

The simplicity of a character like Andy is what makes him so complex. His, unpredictability keeps you thinking about what he is doing, what he is up to, why he is the way he is, and why it sucks so much for him to be in prison. His intelligence and kindness, even in prison, makes him so likable and watchable. Plus, all the other characters have their own issues, their own truths, their own personalities. I could watch this film 100 times over and still find little things here and there that I missed before.

It is just one of my favorite movies, ever, for a bunch of reason. Might not be your favorite, but I don't think I have ever heard anyone call it a bad movie.

Semi-controversial opinion: I think Shawshank is pretty overrated. Certainly not a bad movie, but I have never gotten the love for it.

I think part of it is its is pretty re watchable. I feel like it is literally on some channel at every moment and it is pretty easy to hop in and out of.

That being said it wouldn't make my list.

This was great question... and very difficult to come up with just five.

As I read everyone else's lists... I see the names of other great movies I love:
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
The Princess Bride
Inglorious Basterds
Batman (the entire Christopher Nolan series)
Rear Window
Goodfellas
Shawshank Redemption
The Godfather I & II
Ferris Beuller’s Day Off
Saving Private Ryan
V for Vendetta
Reservoir Dogs
Django Unchained

Others, nobody else mentioned that I considered:
Silence of the Lambs
Schindler's List
Life of Brian
Dr. Strangelove
Fletch
The Legend of Ron Burgundy
Citizen Kane
Charade
North By Northwest
About a Boy
Hoosiers
Miracle
Inside Man
The Natural
A League of Their Own
Glory
Spotlight
Apollo 13
Kingdom of Heaven
Pan's Labyrinth
Lord of the Rings (trilogy)

With all that said...several of you mentioned movies I've never seen or heard of:
Withnail and I
Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham...
Time Bandits
Hitchcock = Winner!

My wife hates Dances with Wolves. She saw it in China when it was released, while she was doing Semester at Sea. All of the subtitles for the Native Indian language scenes were in Chinese, not English, so they were all lost for most of the movie.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT