thetruth

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Actually found this one somewhat entertaining:

We Have to Stop Meeting Like This, But Gundy Said Dr. Shrum Has Him Up to Date​

By Robert Allen
August 29, 2021

STILLWATER – Mike Gundy has a parking spot right in front of the entrance/exit to the Cowboys Football Office inside the West End Zone of Boone Pickens Stadium, so he slips into the driver’s seat, fastens that seatbelt and is on his way pretty quick when he decides it is time to leave. That is why he doesn’t get too many questions about his football team or conference realignment on his way home or to watch youngest son Gage practice with the Stillwater High School Pioneers. Sure, a few folks slip in a question every now and then. Gundy knows there is interest too. He also admits to getting good information.
0028209-lirp-240x135.jpg

Bruce Waterfield/OSU Athletics
Dr. Shrum has been a frequent visitor to football practice.
“You know there's a lot of interest in conference realignment. I have had really good discussions with Dr. (Kayse) Shrum, and she assured me that if there was anything that came out concrete worth talking about, that she would let me know,” Gundy told the media when asked about the questions from the public that come his way. “I haven't paid much attention to it because she and I have a really good relationship.”
I’m guessing that just a few hours after he uttered those words that Gundy might have become a little curious. Then again, I knew the Pac-12 was going to announce that they weren’t looking at expansion at this time. I know that Dr. Shrum had the same information I had, or similar to it. My guess is Gundy knew too.
Winning football games is at the forefront of what is on his mind right now. You can’t blame him. It is what he needs to do, what his team wants to do, and what Oklahoma State could sure benefit from seeing happen. There is no doubt that a big season on the field, in the stadium with attendance, and with the Nielsen’s in television ratings would boost the Cowboys resume’. Pokes Report was the first to report that the Oklahoma State University President was front and center at last Sunday night’s scrimmage inside the stadium.
0026942-ggny-180x180.jpg

Oklahoma State Athletics
Gundy likes the coach’s view up high at practice.
“How about this, so last Sunday we had a scrimmage. It was a night scrimmage. So, I'm setting up here in the orange chairs, taking notes and acting like I'm doing my job, all that stuff. They're down there scrimmaging, and I kinda like, you know how you're sitting somewhere, and you feel people around you? And I kind of look up, and then I noticed it's Darren (Shrum) and Dr. Shrum,” Gundy explained. “That's pretty cool. So, they're kind of sitting there watching the scrimmage. It's late, I mean 7, 8 o'clock whatever on a Sunday night. I'm taking my notes watching and talking on the walkie talkie, job justification, all that junk. So, then we stopped to get the next series done, and I kind of look over. We got the president of the university wearing a hat, T-shirt, running shorts and tennis shoes. She kind of comes over and sits a chair away for me for the next hour and a half, watches the scrimmage and talks football, talks conference realignment and whatever. Pretty cool. It's pretty awesome!”
Since then, things have simmered down. It certainly looks like the other autonomous five conferences are going to leave the eight remaining Big 12 schools a lone for now. I don’t believe it will stay that way and neither does Dr. Shrum and her team working on the situation for OSU. Patience is now a virtue. The Big 12 does have a committee exploring bringing in new schools. It is headed by Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt. The media is into all speculating. The Athletic staff can’t help themselves as they are pushing the likes of BYU, Boise State, Central Florida, and Cincinnati. Yahoo wrote a ridiculous story suggesting the Big 12 take in eight schools, a big chunk of the Group of Five, and go big.
The honest truth is now is the time to be patient, stick to the plan of keeping Texas and Oklahoma hostage in the conference, keep them away from the SEC, and make as much money off of them or from them in exit fees and Grant of Rights enforcement as possible. There’s a plan the national media doesn’t want to get behind, because like SEC boss Greg Sankey, they can’t wait for the Texas and Oklahoma SEC matchups.
With that being the dribble that is out there, there is no need to come and bother Gundy with that crap.
"So, we've had enough discussions I feel like if there's anything concrete, she'll let me know,” Gundy said. (You know) if there's something that we actually need to make decisions on, but I'm getting a lot of both of those (questions – football and realignment) at this time."
The most important of the two, right now is football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News