ADVERTISEMENT

pitt panthers

alabama hank

Redshirt
Jun 23, 2007
#9 PITT at #8 Oklahoma State

Date Sunday, January 18 at 3:00 p.m. (ET)
Location Gallagher-Iba Arena / Stillwater, Okla.

Radio 93.7 KSPI-FM (Oklahoma)

PITTSBURGH - The Pitt wrestling team looks to extend its season-best four match win streak on Sunday, Jan. 18 when the nationally-ranked No. 9 Panthers travel to No. 8 Oklahoma State in a battle for top-10 supremacy.

Both teams have reason to lay claim to the nation's toughest schedules thus far. Pitt (7-2, 2-0 ACC), is 1-2 against top-15 teams, securing a win over then-No. 10 Edinboro. Oklahoma State (3-2, 0-0 BIG 12), on the other hand, is winless in two tries against ranked teams, but those losses have come to the top-ranked Iowa Hawkeyes and second-ranked Minnesota. With both teams looking for a statement win this weekend to boost their resumes, this highly-anticipated rematch of last year's battle that came down to criteria surely won't disappoint.

SERIES HISTORY
The all-time series between Pitt and OSU dates back only two years. But Sunday's match will mark the third straight season the two teams go head-to-head. In the first-ever meeting, Oklahoma State won at home, 26-14 in 2013. Pitt followed that up with a win on its home floor last year, 19-18, on criteria thanks to Mikey Racciato's fall.

LAST MEETING
Trailing 18-9 with three bouts to go, Max Thomusseit, Nick Bonaccorsi and P.J. Tasser all scored decisions, the last two coming in extra time, and the Panthers were awarded the victory on Mikey Racciato's fall of eighth-ranked Josh Kindig at 149 pounds. Kindig went on to become a national finalist last year.

SCOUTING OKLAHOMA STATE
The Cowboys have spent the entire season ranked either eighth or ninth with the help of eight starters who are currently ranked. Oklahoma State is 3-2 in dual matches, however its two losses came to No. 2 Minnesota and No. 1 Iowa. Recently, the Cowboys claimed third at the Southern Scuffle with three individual champions.

OSU RANKED WRESTLERS
Of Oklahoma State's eight ranked wrestlers, four are in the top-10, including top-ranked Alex Dieringer at 165 pounds. Josh Kindig is ranked fourth at 149 pounds and Austin Marsden is fifth at 285 pounds giving the Cowboys two more in the top-10. Eddie Kilmara rounds out the top-10 participants at 125 pounds. After those four, Nolan Boyd (15th/184), Jordan Rogers (18th/174), Dean Heil (19th/141) and Anthony Collica (19th/157) are all receiving national attention.

INDIVIDUAL MATCHUPS
Three weight classes have the opportunity to pit familiar wrestlers against each other. At 149 pounds, Racciato is 1-0 against Kindig with his win last year, while Edgar Bright fell to Kindig at this year's Southern Scuffle, 3-2. Tyler Wilps defeated Kyle Crutchmer, who was ranked 18th at the time, when he retired due to injury. The only other previous meeting came between Thomusseit and 15th-ranked Nolan Boyd in last year's dual, with Thomusseit winning 8-6

RANKED BATTLES
Sunday's match has the potential for three ranked battles. Bright and Kindig could go head-to-head in a rematch of the Southern Scuffle semifinals. If 18th-ranked Jordan Rogers gets the call at 174 pounds, he would go up against No. 8 Wilps. The matchup at 184 pounds is the only guarantee with No. 2 Thomusseit versus No. 15 Boyd.

Eight of Pitt's 10 starters continue to be ranked in at least one of the six major wrestling
polls, which were all released on Tuesday, January 13.

well it was a much better effort vs west virginia but easy to do when the other guys only offensive move is to grab your wrist two on one and hold on so you cant shoot......still props to our young men for looking like the team we enjoy watching with lots of takedowns and a couple of pins from our leaders, hopefully we keep it going and just use iowa as a slap in the face wake up call and keep shooting right thru the national tourney.....bringing the whole family today for a birthday celebration although when you turn 49 birthday are more endured then celebrated....Go Pokes

Nice win for GWH!!!! Great way to build some confidence!

Cowboys up 6-0 after 133.

Wow, how can you not be a fan of Nolan Boyd? That was a great match even if he lost. Great heart in that one.

Boyd looked good after the first, I thought Boyd's reversal in the third should have just been a TD for Boyd and not a TD and reversal. Need to see it again, but looked like Boyd had the leg the whole time.

Gotta love Nolan's attitude! After the match, he walked by Coach Smith, who tried to give him a "good job" handshake. Nolan said something, refused the handshake and kept on walking. Judging from the look on Coach's face, that was exactly the response he wanted.

Boyd gave great effort and was out-muscled today and still found a way to be in position to win. Why did the ref call a restart towards the end of the third when Boyd was trying to turn him? From my seat, I could not see any problems but I could not understand why the Pitt wrestler was awarded 2 takedowns earlier when Boyd had the Pitt guy's leg wrapped up.
I didn't make it Friday, last week's performance was still stuck in my craw. We did give better effort and showed more heart today which is encouraging going into March. 74 and 97 are no-shows for us but I like the effort from GWH and Heil.

There were a few highlights and a couple of disappointments today. Nolan definitely had the best performance of the day versus a tough AA type although Roger & Rex said he had never AA`d he has been ranked first during this year. We are in big trouble at 174 & 197 as we have no one that is competitive at those weights. Crutchmer at least shows up and has been competitive but Rogers is a complete no show for some unexplainable reason. Collica is just not big enough to compete at 157 and it seems that Marstellar can not make 157 and have anything in the tank. Anthony should fill in nicely next year at 149 or can redshirt and maybe build up to 157 but he does not look big nor strong enough to compete at 157 this year. Our team is middle of the road and not going to be competing for number 35 this year and to me that is a huge disappointment but it is what it is.
OSU wrestling is definitely down and we need some new coaching blood to get back to being competitive with the top tier programs.

As others have said, our most glaring problem is we don't have a quality wrestler at 197. Secondly, I think we have the same problem at 125, 133, 149, 157 and 174 (Rogers or Crutchmer); all our wrestlers are too small to compete with the etite wrestlers at thier propsective weights. To be effective, they all should wrestle down one weight. There is no solution to this problem unless the larger guys at these weights can start beating the smaller ones.
This post was edited on 1/19 7:59 AM by Old Number Nine

What we need is to add a coach like Jordan Burroughs to our staff to infuse physical and mental toughness into our kids as well as add some new technique coaching to our staff. Our training and our style are both outdated and need some fresh ideas infused into our room. No one out there has more respect or love for John Smith than I do but I am really tired of watching our team underperform and not be in contention for a national title from year to year.

Originally posted by Old Number Nine:
As others have said, our most glaring problem is we don't have a quality wrestler at 197. Secondly, I think we have the same problem at 125, 133, 149, 157 and 174 (Rogers or Crutchmer); all our wrestlers are too small to compete with the etite wrestlers at thier propsective weights. To be effective, they all should wrestle down one weight. There is no solution to this problem unless the larger guys at these weights can start beating the smaller ones.

This post was edited on 1/19 7:59 AM by Old Number Nine
So which weight should Klimara wrestle at then?

I don`t think Josh nor Eddie have issues with being too small but Harding is a freshman as was Collica last year and again this year he is definitely too small to hang with the big boys. Josh showed us he has the strength to horse an opponent when he hoisted Hadusheldt over the top at the Scuffle so not sure how you can say we are undersized at 125 or at 149 either one.

The size difference was fairly evident on Sunday and I asked those around me when was the last time that we had the bigger, more muscular guys on our team. Then we see our guys gassing because of the pull and the bigger guys wrestling hard into the third. I don't know what the answer is but it would be nice if we could have the physical advantage one year.

CB4
I recall us being in contention last March in a very exciting down to the finals round. One PSU loss and we win it all.

Or how about Jon Morrison scoring any placement points and the title is ours.

Anyone not going to the finals has been missing some great Cowboy performances. Jordan Oliver was a show all by himself going out as one of the all time greats. I remember when we used to beat Iowa and everyone else during the year then underperform in the finals. I like our team just fine the way it is now.

Is everyone keeping in mind how young this team is compared to any others and what an outstanding crop of recruits we have coming with even more on the way in the form of legacies. There is much to be excited about.

Wheeling Cowboy plus 1, also two years ago if Z didn't slip in his match we would of had another Title. We are down this year, lets see what this coaching staff can do with this group. At Nationals, anything above top 5 then the coaches are doing a great job. What is more important, a few more dual wins or peaking at Nationals. Peaking at nationals all the way for me!

Perhaps, I was dreaming, but I have seen some great OSU wrestling at Nationals over the past several years under John Smith. Last year's Nationals was really exciting. I also sometime feel that the coaches could tweak this or that during the season to lend more excitement; of course, I am not sure what any coach could have done to light a fire for the Iowa match...the fire at Nationals always burns bright so the end result is fine with me. Sometimes we get disappointed at Nationals, but not for lack of effort by our guys. The Perry match was one for the ages, not to take anything away from the other guys who, in turn, gave us fans some great matches.

Season matches: I agree, not always exciting and not always best effort it appears. I guess I will have to just live with it and remember that it is a long season and Nationals is the goal. That's probably how it should be! I will have to accept delayed gratfication and attend Nationals for the high. I attend regular season matches as much to see some of our great fans and socialize; as well as, to watch wrestling. I can't wait for Saint Louis!

This post was edited on 1/21 5:39 PM by okiecowboy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT