ADVERTISEMENT

Pellet grill/smoker

as much as i like making a fire and tending a smoker
Traeger is a great option to produce quality meats

very simple

Reactions: KCCowboy1
Yes or no?

Educate me
Most people who use a traditional stick burner are the types that enjoy tending a clean fire for HOURS. If that does not sound appealling to you, I would highly recommend a pellet smoker. I have Traeger Select Elite, FIL and BIL have a Treager Ironwood XL each. We all use ours weekly and typically more than once a week.

They make good smoke, though not as much as a traditional stick burner, but I have recently found charcoal-based pellets from Royal Oak and I think they add an additional amount of smoke and am extremely happy with my 50/50 blends with whatever flavor pellet I am using plus the charcoal.

The only other pellet grills I have seen or used are Pit Boss and Yoder. Once the Traeger dies, I will probably go with a Yoder or stick with another Traeger. Pellet smokers just make food making a little easier, especially for longer cooks, and make a really good product (don't let the traditionalist discourage you).

Reactions: SquatchinPoke
I have a RecTec and love it. My buddy has a Yoder and it's great as well.

I used an old school stick burner for years and originally bought the pellet grill just for those times when I didn't feel like babysitting it or planned on a long cook overnight. I haven't used the stick burner in years...

Reactions: EvilPOKES
I have a RecTec and love it. My buddy has a Yoder and it's great as well.

I used an old school stick burner for years and originally bought the pellet grill just for those times when I didn't feel like babysitting it or planned on a long cook overnight. I haven't used the stick burner in years...
Forgot about RecTec. Never used one, but a ton of guys I watch on Youtube have one and are really happy with the performance.

I'd add them to my possible buy list, honestly.

Currently use a green egg that does a lot if things good but no one thing great. Also tired of babysitting it all day and night trying to maintain temperature.

Was also worried about the lack of smoke that done complain about.

You guys talked me into getting one.

Will keep the egg around for steaks and pizza.

Reactions: colcord
Currently use a green egg that does a lot if things good but no one thing great. Also tired of babysitting it all day and night trying to maintain temperature.

Was also worried about the lack of smoke that done complain about.

You guys talked me into getting one.

Will keep the egg around for steaks and pizza

ease of operation being your end game
you will never look back

i saw a dude put a metal chimney type deal and light pellets directly for more smoke

myself i back off on the temp if i want more smoke on ribs chicken

i do think moisture is an issue with traeger
so i cook with water in a pie tin and brine my chicken and take various other measures to combat dry meat

Last edited:
Bought an entry level Traeger.

One thing I did notice, and it may not mean much, is the lids on the Traegers are a lot thinner and lighter than those on all other grills. Some were very heavy.

Yoder 640. Works great for smoking. You can put grill grates on it and cook a steak. Highly recommend it.

ease of operation being your end game
you will never look back

i saw a dude put a metal chimney type deal and light pellets directly for more smoke

myself i back off on the temp if i want more smoke on ribs chicken

i do think moisture is an issue with traeger
so i cook with water in a pie tin and brine my chicken and take various other measures to combat dry meat
I back off on the temperature as well at the start for pork shoulder and brisket. The RecTec bottoms out at 180. I usually do that for the first hour or so and then adjust up to my normal cooking temp. I've never felt like it wasn't getting enough smoke. If anything, I like the fact that the amount of smoke is more consistent. With the stick burner, sometimes it could be too much or not enough depending on a number of factors (type of wood, moisture of wood, fire got too low for 20 minutes, etc.)

Reactions: colcord and Rdcldad
Used a stick for years. Finally got to the point where I wanted more of a set it and forget it configuration. Still have an egg for the occasionally steak and burger if I don’t feel like using the gas grill.

I bought a Yoder. Very heavy construction and material. Basically a commercial style smoker. Works flawlessly. Something nice about putting a brisket on at 10pm and letting it smoke all night while u sleep. Wake up and wrap and go. Never regretted leaving the stick.

Keep seeing that bear mountain pellets are the best. Anyone used them? They are pricey but will pay if any good.

Also, how much is used on a 10 hour pork butt or a 30 minute salmon cook?

Keep seeing that bear mountain pellets are the best. Anyone used them? They are pricey but will pay if any good.

I’ve never been able to tell much difference between the different brands of pellets assuming they’re all quality brands including bear. I probably use 12 lbs or so on an 10 hours 225 degree smoke.

I’ve never been able to tell much difference between the different brands of pellets assuming they’re all quality brands including bear. I probably use 12 lbs or so on an 10 hours 225 degree smoke.
Agree. I usually use the B&B pellets that you can pick up at Academy and they work well. They're cheap to begin with and you can frequently find them on sale.

I use them regularly and they're just fine. Not sure what prices you're seeing, but they often have buy one get one sales on their site.

Also I want to say the WIFI for the pellet smoker is the nuts. I can cook while working and smoke a brisket for 16 hours if I want to. I did one at 180 for 16 hours and man

Just cooked a 7 pound pork butt 12 hours at 225. Internal to 195.

Should it be falling apart? Because it isnt.

Still trying to decide if I want to take the time and money to learn the art of stick burning, or if I want the convenience of pellet smoking. Whichever I decide, it's going to be the Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn for wood and charcoal, or the Pit Boss 1230 for pellet cooking.

Still trying to decide if I want to take the time and money to learn the art of stick burning, or if I want the convenience of pellet smoking. Whichever I decide, it's going to be the Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn for wood and charcoal, or the Pit Boss 1230 for pellet cooking.
Can’t go wrong with either. I’ve had both stick and pellet and prefer the taste of stick (once perfected) slightly over pellet (there is a difference). However, I reached a point with my schedule where set it and forget it was preferable to baby sitting the fire for hours. Something really nice about putting a brisket on at 10pm and going to bed. Wake up at 8am and wrap. Now my 25 year old self did find enjoyment over tending a fire with a cooler full of adult beverages.

Reactions: Marocain Poke
Can’t go wrong with either. I’ve had both stick and pellet and prefer the taste of stick (once perfected) slightly over pellet (there is a difference). However, I reached a point with my schedule where set it and forget it was preferable to baby sitting the fire for hours. Something really nice about putting a brisket on at 10pm and going to bed. Wake up at 8am and wrap. Now my 25 year old self did find enjoyment over tending a fire with a cooler full of adult beverages.
Thanks! I am leaning heavily towards a large Big Green Egg with the temp control app accessory.

Thanks! I am leaning heavily towards a large Big Green Egg with the temp control app accessory.
To me, this is best of both worlds. You get the satisfaction of essentially building a fire as you like, plus set it and forget it convenience, with the ability to regulate your desired level of smoke (can add sticks for heavier smoke). Capability to go high heat for steaks or pizza. The only downside is it takes a minute to get a fire going, rather than just an on/off switch like with a pellet.

Most people who use a traditional stick burner are the types that enjoy tending a clean fire for HOURS. If that does not sound appealling to you, I would highly recommend a pellet smoker. I have Traeger Select Elite, FIL and BIL have a Treager Ironwood XL each. We all use ours weekly and typically more than once a week.

They make good smoke, though not as much as a traditional stick burner, but I have recently found charcoal-based pellets from Royal Oak and I think they add an additional amount of smoke and am extremely happy with my 50/50 blends with whatever flavor pellet I am using plus the charcoal.

The only other pellet grills I have seen or used are Pit Boss and Yoder. Once the Traeger dies, I will probably go with a Yoder or stick with another Traeger. Pellet smokers just make food making a little easier, especially for longer cooks, and make a really good product (don't let the traditionalist discourage you).
I have Yoder and as former comp cook I retired to a cord. You don't get the smoke of a stick. You can get good smoke if you get 100 oak or whatever your flavor. Traeger were 10 % cherry and filled with alder. B&b best budget pellet

To me, this is best of both worlds. You get the satisfaction of essentially building a fire as you like, plus set it and forget it convenience, with the ability to regulate your desired level of smoke (can add sticks for heavier smoke). Capability to go high heat for steaks or pizza. The only downside is it takes a minute to get a fire going, rather than just an on/off switch like with a pellet.
I bought a Vision S Pro a few weeks ago and it's been life changing. Steaks, fajitas, and targeting my first brisket in a couple of weeks. Just a joy to use.

I bought a Vision S Pro a few weeks ago and it's been life changing. Steaks, fajitas, and targeting my first brisket in a couple of weeks. Just a joy to use.
Just took a look at their website. They look cool. I trust you got the Orange one! I couldn’t really understand how the dual vents on the bottom work, but interested to check it out.

Reactions: colcord
Just took a look at their website. They look cool. I trust you got the Orange one! I couldn’t really understand how the dual vents on the bottom work, but interested to check it out.
Two independently set vents, and a lift-up lid to a chamber where you insert an electric heat coil.

And yes I got the orange, of course!

Reactions: sbaPoke
Two independently set vents, and a lift-up lid to a chamber where you insert an electric heat coil.

And yes I got the orange, of course!
I was in Sam's several years ago and they had them on clearance for $179. I just bought it on a whim and have absolutely loved it.

I've replaced the gasket a couple of times and use a huge wad of aluminum foil left over from cooks to clean the grates and that's it for maintenance. I probably use it 4-5 times a week.

Let me know if you have any questions that I can help out with.

• Wow
I was in Sam's several years ago and they had them on clearance for $179. I just bought it on a whim and have absolutely loved it.

I've replaced the gasket a couple of times and use a huge wad of aluminum foil left over from cooks to clean the grates and that's it for maintenance. I probably use it 4-5 times a week.

Let me know if you have any questions that I can help out with.
Wow that's a crazy good (smokin) deal!

Actually, doing my first brisket Tuesday and wouldn't mind some guidance on how much charcoal to use for a 15 hour cook at 225, and the top and bottom vent settings that could make that happen. Thanks for reaching out!

Last edited:
I have two Recteq's and love them. You won't get as much smoke flavor as a stick burner but life is so much easier. You get your best smoke at 250 or below and I use a smoke tube with wood chips.

Wow that's a crazy good (smokin) deal!

Actually, doing my first brisket Tuesday and wouldn't mind some guidance on how much charcoal to use for a 15 hour cook at 225, and the top and bottom vent settings that could make that happen. Thanks for reaching out!
Sorry, had a crazy week and didn't make it to the site.

I got my Vision before they came out with the two dials for the bottom vents. But I’m never smoking with more than an 1/8” gap in the bottom vent and often must a sliver. So, a ton less than what you would see in the KJ YouTube videos and you probably aren’t doing anything wrong if you are experiencing the same.

My vision really wants to cruise in the 250-275 range and just about any method works. If I want to cook at 225, I have to make sure that I control how much charcoal is burning at a time. For my unit, that’s a 2 inch bed of charcoal, a cup or two of lit charcoal at the very front to start, and letting it burn from front to back.

I’m not willing to struggle with trying to get the unit back down to 225 like the videos show either. I just dump two cups of charcoal that’s really going in the front of the bed and immediately add the brisket with the vents wide open. I use a Meater wireless thermometer and start close the vents down by half in increments as the Kamado comes up to temp. It probably takes an extra 30 minutes to come up to temp, but I rarely overshoot 225 by more than 5 degrees and the unit tends to stay more stable until you open the lid to add more charcoal or deal with ash on a 15 hour cook.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT