ADVERTISEMENT

Patriots protesting in Cali

I seem to recall an opinion that the law enforcement response to the Ferguson unrest of 2017 was a tad bit over militarized and maybe a part of the problem rather than a solution....wasn’t exactly roundly agreed upon and supported around here and elsewhere.

I could be wrong, and I’m not necessarily saying you were involved, but that’s how I remember it and maybe that is what @07pilt is referring to.

I want to say my local pd unveiled their own tank about 6 years ago and I railed against it on fb and probably on this board. I’ll see if I can figure out when that was

Reactions: AC_Exotic
Police are already breaking the law by not arresting illegal immigrants, so it appears they are already choosing which laws to enforce or not

State Police have NO duty to arrest, or otherwise enforce, FEDERAL Immigration laws, unless required by the State Governors. State Governors are NOT required to enforce FEDERAL Immigration laws, under the "Anti-Commandeering Doctrine."

Reactions: davidallen

her reply was fantastic.

It5pprg.gif

the gubmit shoukd have to scientifically prove

their order is valid

that she is risking lives

not what some idiot decides is science or law

Reactions: AC_Exotic
I want to say my local pd unveiled their own tank about 6 years ago and I railed against it on fb and probably on this board. I’ll see if I can figure out when that was

Found my fb post. it was 6 years ago. Tagged you on the pic. I’m 99% sure I had a NSB thread on it here too. Maybe Karen07 can go find it.

So about the same time I was here and on orangepower saying that the response to the Ferguson protests by law enforcement was way overmilitarized and exacerbated the situation. To which I got plenty of responses like this poo pooing the notion.....

I don’t think I would describe as “unrest”. More appropriately, Ferguson RIOTS.

After Ferguson, Obama greatly placed restrictions...basically halted the transfer of military high grade firearms and armored vehicles under these programs. Trump and Sessions rescinded those executive orders and reauthorized such transfers in 2017.

Reactions: davidallen
I really appreciate your insight here. Really do. Again though, I’m a layperson and while you seem insistent this is settled law, there seem to be a lot of legal experts who aren’t so sure. My gut tells me this is not the intention of our Constitution. It really seems antithetical to the entire concept, to be honest.

But again I appreciate your insight. You may be right but if so, it’s incredibly disappointing to learn that in fact we aren’t free at all and are instead at the whim of our police state overlords.

Mega....

I don’t necessarily go as far as ‘Wood.

I can see a federal judge finding, on a case by case fact intensive basis, finding some orders....even quarantine orders....unconstitutional overreach. It could happen.

Until that happens though, they aren’t CLEARLY unconstitutional. Additionally, there is a notion in the law that duly enacted laws are presumed constitutional until established otherwise. There is a CONSTITUTIONAL manner for challenging the legality of laws and that procedure provides federal judges the authority to temporarily restrain enforcement of such laws. And until that happens, I think it is unfair to characterize rank and file officers enforcing laws that are presumed to be constitutional that haven’t been challenged as jackbooted thugs dishonoring their oaths to the Constitution.

Reactions: MegaPoke
So about the same time I was here and on orangepower saying that the response to the Ferguson protests by law enforcement was way overmilitarized and exacerbated the situation. To which I got plenty of responses like this poo pooing the notion.....

After Ferguson, Obama greatly placed restrictions...basically halted the transfer of military high grade firearms and armored vehicles under these programs. Trump and Sessions rescinded those executive orders and reauthorized such transfers in 2017.

I neither addressed nor poo pooed overmilitarization in Ferguson.
But seriously... if you think describing what happened in Ferguson is “unrest” is applicable...then do you describe the Los Angeles in 1992 as “restlessness”?

Reactions: okcpokefan12
I neither addressed nor poo pooed overmilitarization in Ferguson.
But seriously... if you think describing what happened in Ferguson is “unrest” is applicable...then do you describe the Los Angeles in 1992 as “restlessness”?

I didn’t say you did.

I said I received responses that did here and elsewhere.

Characterizing them as riots does serve to excuse or justify the militarization of the response which I believe exacerbated the situation way more than it helped.

Last edited:
Mega....

I don’t necessarily go as far as ‘Wood.

I can see a federal judge finding, on a case by case fact intensive basis, finding some orders....even quarantine orders....unconstitutional overreach. It could happen.

Until that happens though, they aren’t CLEARLY unconstitutional. Additionally, there is a notion in the law that duly enacted laws are presumed constitutional until established otherwise. There is a CONSTITUTIONAL manner for challenging the legality of laws and that procedure provides federal judges the authority to temporarily restrain enforcement of such laws. And until that happens, I think it is unfair to characterize rank and file officers enforcing laws that are presumed to be constitutional that haven’t been challenged as jackbooted thugs dishonoring their oaths to the Constitution.

fair enough, but I hope “following orders” won’t be a valid defense in the eventual lawsuits some of the rank and file thugs will face when less thuggish methods of law enforcement weren’t exhausted. .

Might....maybe...want to do a little more research into the claims.

Six people arrested were arrested for carrying firearms onto a bar property....which has been and continues to be illegal before coronavirus. One arrested for violating the Governor’s order. One arrested for interfering with legal duties of a peace officer.

Check out Pihilip Archibald and Open Texas. Out “liberating” businesses with ARs and whatnot. My bet is that he is charging these folks.

Governor Abbott is one of the Governor’s opening his/her state rather quickly.

This meathead is looking for armed confrontation, and he got it. I’m just glad no one decided to pop off a few rounds. Could have been very ugly.

This is the town where I was born. August 31 of last year....mass shooting. 8 dead including shooter. 18 others injured. I can imagine reports of armed gunmen “liberating” a bar would lead to pretty heightened tension.

Thanks for the background information.
Kind of thought it might be something along those lines, but these are crazy times.

Reactions: CowboyJD
fair enough, but I hope “following orders” won’t be a valid defense in the eventual lawsuits some of the rank and file thugs will face when less thuggish methods of law enforcement weren’t exhausted. .

Unless the order he followed clearly violated the person's "clearly established" statutory or constitutional rights, the officer is going to have qualified immunity. Qualified immunity allows suits only where officials violated a “clearly established” statutory or constitutional right. That standard is whether a hypothetical reasonable official would have known that the his conduct violated the person's rights. Courts conducting this analysis apply the law that was in force at the time of the alleged violation, not the law in effect when the court considers the case.

time for a general awakening

arguing legalities
on orders with zero scientific basis

your order is shit
because your science is shit

has the goalposts moved into dangerous territory

let’s remember how hitler used “science”

Reactions: okcpokefan12
Imagine how rough things could have gotten if these were black kids swimming in a suburban neighborhood pool.

Luckily they were adults with real guns and not kids with toy guns.

Mega: If I had a son he would look like a Big Daddy Zane's protestor

I don't necessarily disagree with that assertion, my statement is that they are valid on their face and will be treated as such, until they are challenged and overturned. (Which I believe is doubtful.)

Reactions: CowboyJD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT