ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma Musicians You May Never Have Heard Of....

Breastman

2nd Team
Feb 4, 2003
Tell us about an Oklahoma musician that perhaps we've never heard of. I'll start.....

Junior Barnard - (1920-1951) - from Coweta. Outstanding guitar player for Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. Very innovative with fuzz tone, pull-offs and hammer-ons. Died in a car crash.

Hadley Hockensmith - Born in Atlanta but I consider this guy an Okie. Neil Diamond's lead guitar player for 34 years. Played with a ton of artists. Started with the Third Avenue Blues Band in Oklahoma City in the late 60's. Still lives in Edmond and plays regularly around OKC and Edmond.

Jimmy Nolen - (1934-1983) - Born in Oklahoma City and discovered in Tulsa, was the guitar player for James Brown and the creator of the 'chicken scratch' sound. His guitar playing has been sampled too many times to count by hip hop musicians.

Reactions: sbaPoke
Mason Williams - born August 24, 1938

Graduated Northwest Classen High School, 1956

American classical guitarist composer, singer, writer, comedian, and poet, best known for his 1968 instrumental "Classical Gas" and for his work as a comedy writer on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, The Glenn Campbell Goodtime Hour, and Saturday Night Live.

Jimmy Webb - born August 15, 1946

From Laverne and Elk City, Oklahoma

Webb has written numerous platinum-selling songs, including "Up, Up and Away", "By the Time I Get to Phoenix", "MacArthur Park", "Wichita Lineman", "Worst That Could Happen", "Galveston" and "All I Know".[2] He had successful collaborations with Glen Campbell, Michael Feinstein, Linda Ronstadt, the 5th Dimension, the Supremes, Art Garfunkel and Richard Harris.

Phillip Zoellner, Marshall City Band 😊

Brookside By Day has this awesome picture that is all the musicians that have touched Oklahoma. The picture is all of their names within the boarders of the State. It’s a massively impressive list all things considered

Chris Sullivan and all the members of Wake/Wakeland…

On the precipice of making it big…

Reactions: Dally1up
Aqueduct. Primary/original member was from Tulsa, though I think the band was based out of Seattle when they broke through with some indie rock in 2005.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT