ADVERTISEMENT

OKC Open

From what I hear most of the freshman and redshirt freshman will be there. I do not know this but I would not expect Alex D. or Josh Kindig to be there. I would expect that at 174 both Jordan Rogers and Kyle Crutchmer to be there and at any open tournaments including Lindenwood as this is a contested weight. There should be some good action and now just a week away.

Originally posted by oberebo:

From what I hear most of the freshman and redshirt freshman will be there. I do not know this but I would not expect Alex D. or Josh Kindig to be there. I would expect that at 174 both Jordan Rogers and Kyle Crutchmer to be there and at any open tournaments including Lindenwood as this is a contested weight. There should be some good action and now just a week away.
Obviously, Dieringer and Kindig wouldn't be there. They're wrestling at the All-Star Classic the night before.

SUN NOV 2, 2014 9 A.M.

OKLAHOMA CITY OPEN

abe lemons arena

This post was edited on 10/25 10:52 AM by jon_osu

Everybody is coming (RS and non-starters), there might be a sighting of Jordan Rogers and Kyle Crutchmer wrestling as Oberebo posted earlier.

Schafer told the wife that he will be there coaching.

Interesting fact. Andrew Dixon looks like he will be a 97 in college. With him, Schafer and White at Nebraska, you could have 3 starting 97's from edmond north.

Another interesting tidbit ... It looks like the triplets are slotted at 74,84,97. It will be interesting to see if Lance can stick at 74.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

NEO is the defending national Juco champion winning the title under coach Joe Renfro in their inaugural year. They had nine All-Americans at the National tournament and they will be attending the Oklahoma City Open this next Sunday. Coach Renfro wrestled at Labette Jr. College where he was a 2X AA and at Nebraska-Kearney where he picked up another AA award. He then coached at Nebraska/ Kearney and then accepted the head coach job at Labette in 2002 where he was until he accepted the NEO job.

Re: the OKC Open

Annie, I would caution you about getting in the car with those guys. They are devious and two-faced.

OKC tomorrow...go Pokes !!!

our wrestling tickets arrived in the mail today.

Track finally updated competitors.
125:
Cannon
Miller

133:
Harding

141:
Lemon
Magaldo
Hone

149:
Blaylock

157:
Blees
Koo
Marsteller

165 & 174:
None

184:
chappel

197:
Bean

285:
Driver
Allen

from soonersports.com

22 Sooners (11 attached and 11 unattached) are scheduled to compete at the OCU Open on Sunday, November 2.

The only Sooners that stick out to me were lance dixon, marek and reed all going 174.

Also, I didn't see jacobe smith.

125-No Gentzler or Hale. Are they still in the running to start along with Klimara?

133-No Heil or Crutchmer. No surprise

141-No Collica, Dolan, Schumacher. I have no idea what will happen at this weight.

149-Ditto-Assuming it is Kindig's by default but any of the above could wrestle off at this weight

157-Seems that all of the potential starters will be there unless Collica (as rumored) could be here

165-Disappointed to not see Chandler Rogers. Hopefully he is not hurt

174-This weight is still open with J. Rogers and K. Crutchmer. Jacobe Smith is entered in the Fr/Soph division.

184-Boyd and Patterson to wrestle off?

197-No Weigel or Laures. I figured Bean would wrestle off with Schafer.

285-No surprise here. Looking forward to seeing how Allen stacks up against college competition.

125-Hale is hurt, done for a while. Gentler isn't wrestling at OCO but will wrestle next week for wrestle offs.
165- Chandler Rogers is ok but has some stuff on face, that is the only reason.
197-Weigel was making big strides in the room and could be a force later on, has a injury right now. Was looking forward to watching him at OCO. To bad, was one of those recruits who spent a lot of time playing other sports. Going to be a big 197/hard nose wrestler
I think there will be a few other wrestlers there from the team, will confirm in a few hours if I can do it on my phone.
Saw Eddie wrestling yesterday, going to be a force this season. Wrestling against Perrelli and for the first 10 minutes taking it to him.

This post was edited on 11/2 4:49 AM by mike tognetti

This post was edited on 11/2 5:05 AM by mike tognetti

Oklahoma State has 3 champions at the OCU Open. Chance Marsteller wins over Zach Skates in the finals in overtime. Marsteller had dec. Chris Koo of Oklahoma State in the semis 5-3. Koo came back and won third with a impressive 12-5 win over Ryan Blees of Oklahoma State so we finished 1,3,4 at that weight. Gary Wayne Harding was the champion at 133 in what I thought was the weakest weight of the tournament. Luke Bean was our third champion at 197 and looked impressive.
At 125 Austin Miller was pinned in his first match and came back and impressively got a third. He was the best wrestler in the field by far but gave up a fall by hanging onto a leg way too long and his opponent fell on top of him and pinned him.

Mike Magaldo had one loss but looked very good at his first outing at 141 and dec. Dusty Hone in the consolation semis to get to the third place match where he won against a wrestler that had two falls in the tournament. Jonce Blaylock placed 2nd at 149 and lost in the finals in sudden victory 1-2 to Dryden Dennis of Oklahoma. Ethan Driver placed 4th and has shown improvement over last year at heavyweight. .

None of our starters were there but those that were gave a very good account of themselves. Enjoyable day in Oklahoma City, met some parents and wrestlers but had to put up with Tognetti all day which I guess is the price you have to pay sometimes.

One note about Marsteller, in his second match he was either momentarily knocked out or stunned when his opponent dove into him from about ten feet out when he was attempting a takedown and they hit heads He probably has a broken nose which bled profusely causing about 10-12 stoppages in his match with Koo to stem the bleeding. He weathered the storm however and did win which shows a toughness on his part. Chris Koo has improved greatly from last year.
This post was edited on 11/2 7:23 PM by oberebo

Given the early reults of your 157lbers, who do you think assumes the starter's role this season?? As Brees and Marstellar both have had problems with your RS frosh who has had limited accolades, do you shirt the two true frosh or risk starting Breese or Marstellar realizing they may be long shots to live up to their lofty expectations as true freshmen??

I just came back from the Clarion Open when Nickal started his career a solid 4-0 but was not dominant like he will eventually be. Like most frosh there is a learning curve and in the middle and upper weights possibly a tougher go that first year. Glad we have Brown there to allow Bo some time.

Oklahoma State results
[/B]OCU Open :: Nov. 2, 2014 :: Oklahoma City, Okla.[/I]
[/B]125: Donald Cannon (did not place)
133: Gary Wayne Harding (1st)
141: Mike Magaldo (3rd), Lincoln Lemon (did not place)
149: Jonce Blaylock (did not place)
157: Ryan Blees (4th)
184: Landry Chappell (did not place)
197: Luke Bean (1st)
285: Ethan Driver (did not place) [/B]
Oklahoma City Open Championship Finals
[/B]125: Josh Heinzer (Midland) dec. Aaron LaFarge (OCU), 4-2 SV1
133: Gary Wayne Harding (OSU)[/B] fall Alvie Killingsworth (OCU), 4:43
141: Brendan Murphy (MKU) dec. Noah Teaney (OU), 6-3
149: Jake Ekster (MVU) dec. Dryden Dennis (OU), 6-4 SV1
157: Chance Marsteller (OSU)[/B] dec. Zach Skates (OCU), 6-1 TB1
165: Brock Wingbermuehle (OU) MD Mateo (USAF), 10-1
174: Nathan Marek (OU) win by forfeit
184: Joel Dixon (OU) dec. Tyler White (LCC), 4-1 TB1
197: Luke Bean (OSU) [/B]dec. Brandon Ballard (LCC), 10-5
285: Zach Merrill (OU) fall Ross Janney (MKU), 3:27

BDB,

I will comment (but not answer as I have no inside information) on your question. In my opinion, Brees will for sure RS. I agree with Ober that Koos has improved significantly but CM is better and I believe the gap between the 2 will widen as they both move forward this season. (No flow to their match yesterday because of the many blood time outs but CM won the match in the 1st minute with an explosive TD followed by back points. Also, easy for me to say since I an not making the cut but '57 appears to be the perfect weight for CM.) My guess is that John will not make the decision until January.

My thought is that if Chance and Blees are not distancing themselves from other early on then why chance that they "maybe" be in the hunt for AA?? A year in the room may mean that both are the nucleus of championship threat teams for 4 years. I will wait to see further bouts....hopefully John lets Koo run duals till the Southern Scuffle.

Chance may just be having issues adjusting to 157. If not why wrestle a guy who may really struggle (relatively) on the second or third day come NCAAsw

I would say one match in the first event of the season might be too early to know. We have seen similar struggles when our wrestlers face each other either in orange black match or an event like the OCU open. They have been training together for weeks and tend to know each other better. CM beat a very good wrestler in the finals who was once at OSU. I would imagine either Blees or Chance will redshirt but I doubt it is Chance. Good discussions for now but we will know more when December rolls around.

OB, I agree with your assessment that freshman wrestlers struggle their first year and Koo has had a year in the room and has progressed greatly. He is night and day difference from his freshman year. Chance won the championship yesterday after being injured. Zack Skates is a very good wrestler in NAIA and a 2 time All-American finishing 5th at 165 in 2013 and 6th at 157 in 2014. However, in the last two seasons he has been 77-26. This should not put him in the class with Marsteller who was undefeated in Highs school and wrestled very successfully on the International stage. Chance is struggling now due to combination of Koo getting much better and his adapting to the college wrestling room. He will make great strides this year and I believe he will be the starter at 157 but most likely not until after the first of the year. Zach Skates is good but is not on a par with many of the wrestlers that Chance and/or Koo will face in Div. 1 this year. I believe the future is bright for Chance but at the present time he is struggling like most freshman and is not the "superman" many of us wrongly expected.

GW Harding is listed at 125 yet he wrestled 133. Is this an indication that Klimara is set for 125 and GW can compete for the 133 starter position?

Marstellar makes weight for the first time at a weight lower than he has wrestled in years, gets conked in the nokkin early in the tournament, and wins in his first collegiate competition. Sounds OK to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT