ADVERTISEMENT

OK HS State Tournament

I'm watching it on Flo, and it seems like the arena is only 10-20% full? That surprises me.
I can tell you that I went to the semi-finals and I had to lap the arena twice before I could find a seat. The problem is that the arena is so poorly maintained that there are hundreds of chairs that have chairbacks but no seats. They are so old that they surely cannot get replacements anymore. To begin the place only seats about 8,000. Then figure it is a wrestling tournament and there is no staging area so wrestlers and all of their bags have no where else to be but in the stands. Then subtract from that hundreds to maybe a thousand useless chairs. The City of OKC should be embarrassed. I don’t know what other arena can accommodate 10 mats so something needs to be done about this arena soon.

Reactions: PoOsKuE and OAMC99
I can tell you that I went to the semi-finals and I had to lap the arena twice before I could find a seat. The problem is that the arena is so poorly maintained that there are hundreds of chairs that have chairbacks but no seats. They are so old that they surely cannot get replacements anymore. To begin the place only seats about 8,000. Then figure it is a wrestling tournament and there is no staging area so wrestlers and all of their bags have no where else to be but in the stands. Then subtract from that hundreds to maybe a thousand useless chairs. The City of OKC should be embarrassed. I don’t know what other arena can accommodate 10 mats so something needs to be done about this arena soon.
Come on snow flake .

Don't bet against a Ferrari!
Angelo looks to be the best sophomore in the Nation. Another superstar recruit in 2 years. At that super 32 tournament in the consolation round he jumped a level and look what we appear to have now. Hopefully Jordan takes this well and works even harder and he gets a little stronger. He looks lean at 160 and so he could be our 165 in the future and maybe 157 next year. It would be perfect for us if Angelo grows to be a 174 which seems likely.

Really good showing for OSU guys and potential OSU guys.

Smith in the finals (Hollingsworth looks great)
Roller wins state
Blankenship wins 3rd title (Mccomas is one to watch)
Hughes wins state (Giddens in the finals)
Lockett wins state
Voionovich wins state
Ferrari wins state (Williams a finalist)
Robb wins state

Really good showing for OSU guys and potential OSU guys.

Smith in the finals (Hollingsworth looks great)
Roller wins state
Blankenship wins 3rd title (Mccomas is one to watch)
Hughes wins state (Giddens in the finals)
Lockett wins state
Voionovich wins state
Ferrari wins state (Williams a finalist)
Robb wins state
Jersey Robb did not show very good in that match winning 7 to 6, running the last 8 seconds, stopping and scooped his opponent up and after the match was done, threw his opponent hard and off balance to the mat hurting him. Then flexing in front of the crowd to probably a bunch of boo's. Well, we have all made mistakes. I really did not like how he wrestled either. Blankenship is just very quick and out quicked McComas. Hughes is good on his feet, a good rider and turner and is good on the bottom. A dominating wrestler.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Come on snow flake .
The kids, schools and their families deserve better. Most of the families are spending hundreds of dollars in OKC this weekend with hotel and sales taxes going to the city. They deserve a functioning facility. Why would you be against that?

Reactions: bwel9339
Jersey Robb did not show very good in that match winning 7 to 6, running the last 8 seconds, stopping and scooped his opponent up and after the match was done, threw his opponent hard and off balance to the mat hurting him. Then flexing in front of the crowd to probably a bunch of boo's. Well, we have all made mistakes. I really did not like how he wrestled either. Blankenship is just very quick and out quicked McComas. Hughes is good on his feet, a good rider and turner and is good on the bottom. A dominating wrestler.

Guys tense up in state championship finals. It’s human nature. The kid Robb wrestled is also a very talented wrestler who has/had D1 offers.

They have wrestled a handful of times in FS and HS and I’m sure there is some heat between the two. I didn’t think it was that bad he was in on the shot and lifted him prior to the buzzer sounding.

I didn’t see that in the video I watched. You could tell he was worn out mentally how?
When Ferrari avoided the outside sweep for the third time. It appeared that Williams went into an offensive shell and he was relying on scoring off a counter from the late 3rd period and OT. Also, when Ferrari dumped him in the last OT and he laid on his back, he was through. It was a great match!

Gunner Wilson of Catoosa looks to be another to watch. Won 4A 220 as a freshman with bonus points in every match. Looking at his Track profile, of the tournament results on that site, he has made the finals in the last 44 tournaments he has wrestled in and won 39 of them. That is astounding to me.

FWIW, Wilson has been retweeting OU Wrestling stuff lately. He's young, so there's plenty of time to realize that's a dead end.

One take away I had is that Jordan Williams is nowhere big enough to be a college 157 right now. He looked noticeably thinner than Ferrari to me. Time to hit the weights.

FWIW, Wilson has been retweeting OU Wrestling stuff lately. He's young, so there's plenty of time to realize that's a dead end.

One take away I had is that Jordan Williams is nowhere big enough to be a college 157 right now. He looked noticeably thinner than Ferrari to me. Time to hit the weights.
I expect Anthony Ferrari to be our 157 next year. Pretty sure he’ll be physically strong enough to compete. Who know what weight Angelo winds up at in 3 years.

I expect Anthony Ferrari to be our 157 next year. Pretty sure he’ll be physically strong enough to compete. Who know what weight Angelo winds up at in 3 years.
Angelo will probably be a 174/184 I think. Anthony could go 157 next year, maybe Jordan, maybe Mechler. Whoever goes needs to be a serious AA candidate because we'll need the points. And long-term we need someone to get big enough for 165.

I know Williams is a high recruit with a lot of talent. I can tell he is very quick on his feet and is athletic, but of all the times I’ve watched him wrestle I haven’t been overly impressed or excited about him being a future star. I hope he can develop his craft at OSU and fill out some but I’ve heard some on here say he might be the starter at 157 next year and I think he’s a few years away from cracking the lineup. Of what I saw some Angelo Fearri in that match last night he is on a trajectory to be one of the top recruits and a future star. His defense is too notch and it looked like he is already committed to riding as a HS soph.

Last edited:
Reactions: bwel9339
Angelo will probably be a 174/184 I think. Anthony could go 157 next year, maybe Jordan, maybe Mechler. Whoever goes needs to be a serious AA candidate because we'll need the points. And long-term we need someone to get big enough for 165.
Watched the match between Angelo and Jordan. Jordan more aggressive in the first period and had two good shots with Ferrari's leg in the air but Angelo had good balance and did not give up the takedown. After that Angelo was more the aggressor but was equally unable to finish. Both of them are great wrestlers and in my opinion Angelo is a little ahead of Jordan in wrestling technique and Jordan may have the more athletic ability. Luckily, I do not see them as the same weight in college.
I did not see Jordan wear down physically or mentally but Angelo's mindset was the more determined. That match could go either way each time they wrestle. Looking forward to having
both on the Cowboy team.

When Jordan wrestled Angelo I thought Angelo was taller and thicker than Jordan. I think Jordan Williams has a history of wrestling a weight class above what most would. Last night I wondered if Jordan weighs 160 out of season. I think Jordan is a great prospect and Angelo Ferrari is an unbelievable prospect.

When Jordan wrestled Angelo I thought Angelo was taller and thicker than Jordan. I think Jordan Williams has a history of wrestling a weight class above what most would. Last night I wondered if Jordan weighs 160 out of season. I think Jordan is a great prospect and Angelo Ferrari is an unbelievable prospect.
Yes, he does have a history of wrestling up. He beat Carter Young last season at 138, then bumped up for Collinsville at state. In an interview he said he weighed about 144 when he won at 152.

Reactions: Harleycowboy
To my un-expert eyes Hughes and Ferrari look like they may be super elite….P4P top 5. Hughes made Buttram-Giddens look like a beginner. Williams needs to get stronger but looks cat quick. He is that next notch down... a 10-15 P4P guy. Lockett very well may end up/is super elite. I think Blankenship could be an Austin DeSanto type. He has a great motor and is strong as can be and very quick. I think he will go balls to the wall training. Roller, McComas, Robb look like solid recruits with potential but not world beaters. Voinovich a bit better than those three and only a sophomore. I have not seen Sam Smith wrestle but it doesn’t seem like he will be an elite recruit.

Last edited:
Reactions: DPJ
Lockett is cat- quick as a freshman who needs more strength and experience. I’ve seen him do some unbelievable things in previous matches this year and I hope that he stays on his current trajectory. I agree on other observations about OSU recruits. The Blankenship/ McComas match was extremely tight and full of quality wrestling.
It was interesting to hear the oohs and aahs from the crowd during the featured match. The only ones watching the other 160 matches were probably parents of those wrestlers.

The kids, schools and their families deserve better. Most of the families are spending hundreds of dollars in OKC this weekend with hotel and sales taxes going to the city. They deserve a functioning facility. Why would you be against that?
not to mention half the toilets were non-functional!

The Cox arena would be perfect for the state tournament, but the city recently leased it to a production company for like 10 years. The city has made slight improvements to the fair grounds but the only real use of the arena besides the state tournament is horse and cattle shows.

Heeg did win and so did KJ Evans. Christian Forbes took 2nd & John Wiley took 3rd.

You'd think with how big of a deal Wrestling is, they'd look for somewhere to accommodate as many as possible...They can't go to BOK in Tulsa? I get it, it's all about bottom dollars but geez.

Is there any kind of writeup on Stillwater High's results? Something beyond who won what, like some kind of narrative. Newspress, Oklahoman, etc? I've searched around but haven't found much. Seems like the local press should/would be all over this massive success.

Is there any kind of writeup on Stillwater High's results? Something beyond who won what, like some kind of narrative. Newspress, Oklahoman, etc? I've searched around but haven't found much. Seems like the local press should/would be all over this massive success.

Reactions: turfpoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT