ADVERTISEMENT

'Now he’s known for Tabry': How Edmond Santa Fe's Tabry Shettron became a star, Oklahoma State commit

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

'Now he’s known for Tabry': How Edmond Santa Fe's Tabry Shettron became a star, Oklahoma State commit​

Jacob Unruh
Oklahoman

f56d97c1-883e-446a-8fce-982f6e773732-_LX13894.jpg

EDMOND — More than a year ago, Tabry Shettron stepped onto the Edmond Santa Fe High School football field as the least likely star.

There were no coaches. Only his adopted brother Talyn and father, Trevor. Talyn was the consensus superstar, a receiver fresh off a breakout sophomore season considered one of the top pass catchers in the country.

Tabry wasn’t even on the football team anymore.

Still, Tabry ran routes. He caught passes. He threw the football.

He was just a 6-foot-4 basketball player having fun in a pandemic.

That was the necessary spark, though.

“I learned to love it again,” Tabry said. “It really is that simple.”

It’s that day Tabry won’t forget. He wanted to be back in football pads. He hoped to become a star.

Tabry did just that.

With the offseason winding down, there is perhaps no bigger rising star in the state than Tabry. In the past year, he’s gone from unknown to committing to Oklahoma State while also helping Talyn flip from OU to OSU.

Tabry — a 6-foot-4, 215-pound tight end — is ranked No. 19 on The Oklahoman's Super 30 rankings of the state’s top college recruits.

“Now he’s known for Tabry,” Edmond Santa Fe coach Kyle White said. “He’s known for himself and the product that he’s put on the field and the quality of work that he’s done. I’m excited for him to get to experience that and see him grow in that process.”

Tabry initially believed basketball was his best path to a scholarship.

A powerful post, he suffered a pelvic injury on a hard fall his freshman season and elected to walk away from football.

But once he put the pads and helmet back on, everything felt right.

Still, Tabry had yet to set foot on a college campus due to the COVID-19 pandemic. His play had to really stand out.

Even though he was a junior in his first year as a varsity player, he found his way. He thrived as a blocker. He improved as a pass catcher.

He caught four of his six touchdown passes in the playoffs helping Edmond Santa Fe reach the Class 6A-II state championship game.

“You could say he was behind the curve, but this season he just grew a lot,” Talyn said. “From the beginning of the season to the end of the season, he got way better. And he’s continuing to get way better.

“He’s just athletic. Not a lot of kids are that tall and that big and can move like him and as fast as he is.”
College coaches began to take notice.
On Jan. 25, Air Force became the first to offer Tabry a chance to play college football. Dartmouth, Yale and Penn followed. In March, Kansas State became the first Power 5 school to offer a scholarship.
Tabry had arrived.
“If you can’t go to camps, you just have to show it on the field,” Tabry said. “That’s what I did.”
Tabry went on an official visit to Kansas State. But the lone camp he attended this summer was at OSU. He earned an offer.
And the discussion in the Shettron household changed.
Talyn had committed to OU in October. But this was the most realistic chance for the brothers who are 6 months apart to play together.
Tabry had asked Talyn before about playing together if the Cowboys offered. Talyn would not commit to that.
This time, Talyn made up his mind. The two were going to play together in college.
“Not many people get that experience playing at the highest level in college with your own brother,” Tabry said. “It’s a big family up there. I’m lucky to have it.”
Now, when Tabry and Talyn arrive on campus next year, Tabry will no longer be unknown.
He’s ready for the spotlight.
“Obviously, everyone knows Talyn. Everyone loves Talyn,” Tabry said. “For me, I had to get my name out there as well, not just be in his shadow.
“(It’s not just), 'Oh yeah, he’s there because of Talyn.’”

The Oklahoman’s 2022 Super 30

Name: Tabry Shettron
School: Edmond Santa Fe
Super 30 ranking: No. 19
Height: 6-foot-4
Weight: 215 pounds
Position: Tight end
Committed to: Oklahoma State

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards